Re: Pc company going bust

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by max, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. max

    max Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:08:27 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >interesting:
    >
    >http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994A
    >!opendocument

    Seems to be a trend with these types of computer retailer who sell in
    volume with very low margins. I would say that Dell have eatten into
    their customer base which is a pity to see a NZ company go down. There
    website is still up, and accepting orders?

    max, Sep 8, 2003

  2. max

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:08:27 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >interesting:
    > >

    >http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994

    > >!opendocument
    > >

    > Seems to be a trend with these types of computer retailer who sell in
    > volume with very low margins. I would say that Dell have eatten into
    > their customer base which is a pity to see a NZ company go down. There
    > website is still up, and accepting orders?

    Strange thing is while some places offer cheap computers, other buggers like
    the incident on Fair Go are selling low grade computers door to door to
    suckers for around $7,500.

    The PC Company haven't bothered to advertise in the papers for the general
    public like they did in the early days. Also not many buyers bother to buy
    a new PC each year, the average might be around every 5 years overall.

    High priced PCs but with low interest deals from the larger appliance stores
    will attract a lot of new first time buyers. Hopefully they haven't left it
    too late to get their act together and know who's well worth keeping on from
    those that aren't.

    It also proves that very few things are secure these days.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 8, 2003

  3. max

    Big Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:25:00 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <
    (remove eye)> wrote:

    >"max" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:08:27 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >interesting:
    >> >

    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994

    >> >!opendocument
    >> >

    >> Seems to be a trend with these types of computer retailer who sell in
    >> volume with very low margins. I would say that Dell have eatten into
    >> their customer base which is a pity to see a NZ company go down. There
    >> website is still up, and accepting orders?

    >Strange thing is while some places offer cheap computers, other buggers like
    >the incident on Fair Go are selling low grade computers door to door to
    >suckers for around $7,500.
    >
    >The PC Company haven't bothered to advertise in the papers for the general
    >public like they did in the early days. Also not many buyers bother to buy
    >a new PC each year, the average might be around every 5 years overall.
    >
    >High priced PCs but with low interest deals from the larger appliance stores
    >will attract a lot of new first time buyers. Hopefully they haven't left it
    >too late to get their act together and know who's well worth keeping on from
    >those that aren't.
    >
    >It also proves that very few things are secure these days.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    But Farmers use to push there stuff..?

    Big , Sep 8, 2003
  4. max

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > "max" <> wrote in message

    > > It also proves that very few things are secure these days.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge

    > Like the warranty on your PC Company computer eh scroogie :)

    LOL At least I didn't need a monitor, and it's been very reliable after
    getting the RAM problem sorted out. I'd buy another one off them.
    The sound and video cards were bought elsewhere as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 8, 2003
  5. max

    Julian Visch Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    >> Like the warranty on your PC Company computer eh scroogie :)

    > If I recall correctly they were/are cmanz members, so that leaves them
    > holding the warente can.

    Have you ever looked at who their members are? Myself I have never heard
    of any of them aside from the PC company.

    Julian Visch, Sep 9, 2003