Re: PBS does a marathon

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Prisoner at War, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. On Oct 30, 6:51 pm, "rms" <> wrote:
    > > just order the DVD of this Nova episode, but it probably ain't coming
    > > out anytime soon....

    > 01/04/08 according tohttp://shop.wgbh.org/product/search?terms=marathon+challenge
    >
    > rms

    Thanks, but I actually did catch it last night, and while it started
    out great, I think they did a "fast forward" half-way through in order
    to bring it within 50 minutes, and that was unfortunate. It was like
    them old "Draw 50 Cars" (Dogs/Dinosaurs/Airplanes/Famous People) books
    for kids, which started out with simple geometric sketches that
    continue until, in the last two, are full-blown finished
    illustrations...if you know what I mean..."Team Nova" were going
    through their workouts, and suddenly there was the marathon and they
    did it.

    I would have preferred more "science"...towards the end the program
    just felt rushed...would be great if the DVD had a "director's cut"
    with a lot more material, particularly scientific stuff...some of what
    I have in mind they put up on the website for this episode, like an
    after action report, but I suspect it's probably slim pickings...this
    was a great idea, but only half-baked...I mean, like you had that ex-
    pro football guy from the New England Patriots...it would have been
    great to go in-depth into the experience of a strength athlete vis-a-
    vis the marathon...the narrator even articulated the matter, asking
    whether all human beings are naturally built to run marathons or only
    a certain physical type...but the program never goes any
    further...things just really feel perfunctory. A bit disappointed.
    You'd think they'd do some cutting-edge science here instead of a sort
    of PBS-version of "Biggest Loser"...it was interesting that the fat
    lady who started out all fucked-up physically wound up with the best
    VO2Max out of all the ladies and ran the fastest, despite still being
    fat! They should have really explored that, and that ex-footballer
    who managed to finish but had to take frequent and likely prolonged
    breaks...I myself feel both a strength athlete and a "mid-distance"
    runner and would have really appreciated in-depth elaboration on
    that...etc., etc., etc.

    Prisoner at War, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Prisoner at War

    Tony S. Guest

    "Prisoner at War" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 30, 6:51 pm, "rms" <> wrote:
    >> > just order the DVD of this Nova episode, but it probably ain't coming
    >> > out anytime soon....

    >> 01/04/08 according
    >> tohttp://shop.wgbh.org/product/search?terms=marathon+challenge
    >>
    >> rms

    > Thanks, but I actually did catch it last night, and while it started
    > out great, I think they did a "fast forward" half-way through in order
    > to bring it within 50 minutes, and that was unfortunate. It was like
    > them old "Draw 50 Cars" (Dogs/Dinosaurs/Airplanes/Famous People) books
    > for kids, which started out with simple geometric sketches that
    > continue until, in the last two, are full-blown finished
    > illustrations...if you know what I mean..."Team Nova" were going
    > through their workouts, and suddenly there was the marathon and they
    > did it.

    Yes, much too rushed and very short on details. Even VO2max levels weren't
    given as numbers but as "fair", "superior", etc.

    > I would have preferred more "science"...towards the end the program
    > just felt rushed...would be great if the DVD had a "director's cut"
    > with a lot more material, particularly scientific stuff...some of what
    > I have in mind they put up on the website for this episode, like an
    > after action report, but I suspect it's probably slim pickings...this

    There was very very little science in the show or on the website. The main
    findings were that 1) aerobic fitness comes fast, and 2)muscles and joints
    take much longer, producing injuries. That one was able to finish in 4:09 is
    unremarkable given that he rated as "superior" in Vo2max from the first
    test.

    > was a great idea, but only half-baked...I mean, like you had that ex-
    > pro football guy from the New England Patriots...it would have been
    > great to go in-depth into the experience of a strength athlete vis-a-
    > vis the marathon...the narrator even articulated the matter, asking
    > whether all human beings are naturally built to run marathons or only
    > a certain physical type...but the program never goes any
    > further...things just really feel perfunctory. A bit disappointed.
    > You'd think they'd do some cutting-edge science here instead of a sort
    > of PBS-version of "Biggest Loser"...it was interesting that the fat
    > lady who started out all fucked-up physically wound up with the best
    > VO2Max out of all the ladies and ran the fastest, despite still being
    > fat! They should have really explored that, and that ex-footballer
    > who managed to finish but had to take frequent and likely prolonged
    > breaks...I myself feel both a strength athlete and a "mid-distance"
    > runner and would have really appreciated in-depth elaboration on
    > that...etc., etc., etc.

    I agree, it was like a cheerleading show to say that, yes average people can
    finish a marathon in 5-7 hours, overcoming injuries, but without losing
    weight or fat, since that takes more than mere exercise. (They said just the
    one lady actually lost weight and fat %). They were saying it's healthy to
    exercise blah blah, but who didn't know that already. Very sad how low NOVA
    has sunk slowly but surely over the last 20 years.

    -Tony

    Tony S., Oct 31, 2007

  3. On Oct 31, 1:39 pm, "Tony S." <> wrote:

    > Yes, much too rushed and very short on details. Even VO2max levels weren't
    > given as numbers but as "fair", "superior", etc.

    Indeed! The old lady ranked as a "poor" in the beginning, but it was
    never mentioned poor relative to what: other seniors in their late
    sixties, other sixty-somethings who run, or what? And they didn't
    give an update on her later VO2Max readings, though they said everyone
    improved dramatically.

    > There was very very little science in the show or on the website. The main
    > findings were that 1) aerobic fitness comes fast, and 2)muscles and joints
    > take much longer, producing injuries. That one was able to finish in 4:09 is
    > unremarkable given that he rated as "superior" in Vo2max from the first
    > test.

    Yes, and it would have been great if they had explored that a bit.
    Same thing with the fat lady, and the ex-football star...heart attack
    guy, AIDS guy...I was even curious why that flip was waving two flip
    flags at the finish line...it's funny how the show kind of paralleled
    the emotional state of many a beginning runner, I suspect: good start,
    then a ho-hum now-it's-over finish, with points in-between something
    of a blur.

    > I agree, it was like a cheerleading show to say that, yes average people can
    > finish a marathon in 5-7 hours,

    Most of them seemed to have stopped at various points. Well, heck,
    anyone can quite easily finish the marathon, in that case! I've
    always thought the point of it was to run continuously, even if
    slowly. If you stop -- however much warranted, nevertheless -- it's
    just cheating. You didn't run the marathon. You walked and ran 26.2
    miles, with rest in-between. Heck, I can do that right now!

    > overcoming injuries, but without losing
    > weight or fat, since that takes more than mere exercise. (They said just the
    > one lady actually lost weight and fat %). They were saying it's healthy to
    > exercise blah blah, but who didn't know that already. Very sad how low NOVA
    > has sunk slowly but surely over the last 20 years.
    >
    > -Tony

    Wow, it's been in decline that long???

    I don't watch it all the time, but this is the first time I've gotten
    so close to being disappointed in a Nova episode. I'd get the DVD if
    they had a special edition director's cut with much more information.
    There was hardly any science at all, much less cutting edge science.

    Prisoner at War, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Prisoner at War

    D Stumpus Guest

    "Prisoner at War" <> wrote

    > Most of them seemed to have stopped at various points. Well, heck,
    > anyone can quite easily finish the marathon, in that case! I've
    > always thought the point of it was to run continuously, even if
    > slowly. If you stop -- however much warranted, nevertheless -- it's
    > just cheating. You didn't run the marathon. You walked and ran 26.2
    > miles, with rest in-between. Heck, I can do that right now!

    Oh no! None of my 20 sub 3 hour marathons count! Not even the pair of
    2:37's!!

    Oh, if I'd only known that stopping to drink would ruin everything :)

    D Stumpus, Oct 31, 2007