Re: Pay as you go Apps...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by The Ghost In The Machine, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Terence Orbison
    <-psychiatric-hog.net>
    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:31:30 -0500
    <-stranded-charity-shop-worker.org>:
    > http://www.groove.net/PressRelease.cfm?pagename=Press_Mar102005
    >
    > One way to prevent piracy is not to sell software.
    >
    > Instead, let the suckers pay through the nose for 'pay as you go' Excel,
    > Word, PowerPoint, Access. In fact not just Microsoft Office offerings,
    > just about anything you are willing to pay for, you can have.
    >
    > Just watch the revenues roll!!
    >
    > You heard it here first.
    >
    > --
    > Orbis - '/for a unique insight into the unthinkable/'

    And here I thought software rental was discussed -- and discredited --
    years and years back.

    Sigh.

    As for revenues rolling -- why rent Office when one can
    copy and use (and, to some extent, own, if one modifies
    it locally) OpenOffice?

    Or, if one doesn't like OpenOffice (it's a "one size
    contains everything" type of app, which is not to
    everyone's liking), one can use piecewise solutions that
    integrate nicely: kate and/or AbiWord, Gnumeric or kcalc,
    various TeX solutions for the math side and a converter,
    maybe a browser to display the final results and print
    them out, etc.

    One has to like this sort of choice.

    #191,
    It's still legal to go .sigless.