Re: Passwords

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:33:56 +0000, howard
    <> wrote:

    >I have about a dozen passwords for different sites , all different.
    >Sometimes I forget which one is which, but manage in the end.
    >I never ask any site to remember log in details or passwords and always
    >log out when finished.
    > Here's my point. I downloaded an add on for my browser to remember log
    >on details, you have to "train" the programme at first to remember each
    >password.
    > Before I started I was looking at various options, one was "show
    >passwords" I assumed it would be empty , but it had a list of 13 sites
    >log in details and passwords.
    >Why and where does the computer store this info, what if I took my
    >machine in for repair. someone could have got my bank details etc.

    I use Cryptainer to create a virtual drive which requires a password
    to access. On that drive I have my password/site list and other docs I
    don't wish to share.

    It can password protect and secure any file or folder on any media,
    including removable drives (Flash Drives, CD ROM's etc.)

    Cryptainer LE is free with 128 bit encryption, limited to 25Mb per
    folder.

    Steve, Jan 10, 2009

  2. Steve

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:55:49 -0500, Steve <>
    wrote:

    >I use Cryptainer to create a virtual drive which requires a password
    >to access. On that drive I have my password/site list and other docs I
    >don't wish to share.
    >
    >It can password protect and secure any file or folder on any media,
    >including removable drives (Flash Drives, CD ROM's etc.)
    >
    >Cryptainer LE is free with 128 bit encryption, limited to 25Mb per
    >folder.

    Why not use truecrypt? 256 bit, no size limit that I'm aware of..

    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Evan Platt, Jan 10, 2009

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:34:16 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:55:49 -0500, Steve <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I use Cryptainer to create a virtual drive which requires a password
    >>to access. On that drive I have my password/site list and other docs I
    >>don't wish to share.
    >>
    >>It can password protect and secure any file or folder on any media,
    >>including removable drives (Flash Drives, CD ROM's etc.)
    >>
    >>Cryptainer LE is free with 128 bit encryption, limited to 25Mb per
    >>folder.

    >Why not use truecrypt? 256 bit, no size limit that I'm aware of..
    >
    >http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Because I'm behind the times on encryption. I meant to add that my
    suggestion was really only a concept and that there are many other
    options. Thanks for the tip!
    Steve

    Steve, Jan 11, 2009