Re: Passwording Files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "kerplunkuk" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a utility freeware if possible to password the opening of files

    and
    > password the deleting. I want to protect some files from deletion, and
    > others from the kids.
    >
    > Thanks

    Most only protect while windows is in operation.
    Files can still be accessed through DOS.
    Most do not protect the actual file, instead, they create a second file
    which contains the information to unlock access to the original.
    Simple solution to bypass is to move the file to another machine.
    Locate the program that does the work, disable it, no more protection.
    Most security programs I've seen are easily byoassed if you know a few
    tricks.
    Even a simple reinstall of windows will cancel any protection.

    Richard, Jul 5, 2003