Re: partition limit in xp?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dusty Steenbock, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. "Drew" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > I have a Dell XPS 400 PC which is maybe 20 months old.
    >
    > It currently has a 200 Gig Hard Drive in it but I'm getting ready to
    > put a 500 gig drive in it.
    >
    > Are there any hard drive partition limits within XP or newer system
    > bioses that I might run into with such a large hard drive?
    >
    > Or are those pretty much a thing of the past now? I'll be using NTFS
    > on the drive of course....
    >
    > I wonder how much larger hard drives for PCs will be made. Is there a
    > threshold at which too large of a drive causes problems with the OS?
    >
    > Just curious!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Drew

    I hear Dell's tech support Is pretty lousy, but I'd think It'd be a simple
    question for them to answer.

    Someone told me Hitachi Is working on a 1 Terabyte hard drive. I havn't
    verified It myself yet to know If It's true or not.

    Dusty Steenbock, Mar 17, 2007

  2. Dusty Steenbock

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 17, 7:38 pm, Barry Watzman <> wrote:
    > I think that there are already 1TB drives; I know that there are 750GB
    > drives.
    >
    > I don't think that there are any issues for any system that doesn't have
    > the 137GB barrier.
    >
    > However, a drive that size should probably be partitioned in almost all
    > cases. One drive for the OS, one drive for most typical data (put "My
    > Documents" on that drive), and probably (for most people using a drive
    > of this size) a 3rd drive for VERY large files (video, certainly, and
    > perhaps large music or photo collections, where all of the files are in
    > the megabyte+ range (and where a single video file can run to tens of
    > gigabytes).
    >
    > Dusty Steenbock wrote:
    > > "Drew" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi All:

    > >> I have a Dell XPS 400 PC which is maybe 20 months old.

    > >> It currently has a 200 Gig Hard Drive in it but I'm getting ready to
    > >> put a 500 gig drive in it.

    > >> Are there any hard drive partition limits within XP or newer system
    > >> bioses that I might run into with such a large hard drive?

    > >> Or are those pretty much a thing of the past now? I'll be using NTFS
    > >> on the drive of course....

    > >> I wonder how much larger hard drives for PCs will be made. Is there a
    > >> threshold at which too large of a drive causes problems with the OS?

    > >> Just curious!

    > >> Thanks!
    > >> Drew

    > > I hear Dell's tech support Is pretty lousy, but I'd think It'd be a simple
    > > question for them to answer.

    > > Someone told me Hitachi Is working on a 1 Terabyte hard drive. I havn't
    > > verified It myself yet to know If It's true or not.

    According to Wikipedia, and you just know it's right, the max size for
    an NTFS partition is 256 TB. Nobody will ever need more than that.

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Dusty Steenbock

    Adebisi Guest

    Actually it was 640k ;)

    "640K ought to be enough for anybody"

    http://www.quotesandsayings.com/gbillgates.htm

    More gems from the man...

    "If you can't make it good, at least make it look good."

    "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating
    system,
    and possibly program, of all time. As the successor to DOS, which has
    over 10,000,000 systems in use, it creates incredible opportunities
    for
    everyone involved with PCs."

    "The Internet? We are not interested in it"

    "Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"

    "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one"

    Adebisi, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Dusty Steenbock

    smackedass Guest

    > According to Wikipedia, and you just know it's right, the max size for
    > an NTFS partition is 256 TB. Nobody will ever need more than that.
    >
    > -John O

    You are joking, right? Any jokester can write a piece in Wikopedia, and it's
    rife with opinions masquerading as facts.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Dusty Steenbock

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 19, 2:52 pm, "smackedass" <>
    wrote:
    > > According to Wikipedia, and you just know it's right, the max size for
    > > an NTFS partition is 256 TB. Nobody will ever need more than that.

    > > -John O

    > You are joking, right?

    Well, of course. :) And I'm glad y'alls caught the reference to
    Gates infamous quote.

    However, stuff like this is usually accurate on Wiki because there are
    lots of geeks hollering about tech errors. Whatever the limits of NTFS
    might really be, they're certainly bigger than the individual drives
    we can get today.

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Dusty Steenbock

    SBFan2000 Guest

    > According to Wikipedia, and you just know it's right, the max size for
    > an NTFS partition is 256 TB. Nobody will ever need more than that.

    Oh boy there it is, the old never statement. You seriously think that no
    one will ever need 256TB? I'm thinking holographics might require such
    space? Either way, never is a VERY long time.

    SBFan2000, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Dusty Steenbock

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Actually I do believe that the 256TB is correct. Thats not the first time
    I've heard that number when talking about NTFS partition limits.

    SBFan2000, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Dusty Steenbock

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 19, 5:15 pm, "SBFan2000" <> wrote:
    > > According to Wikipedia, and you just know it's right, the max size for
    > > an NTFS partition is 256 TB. Nobody will ever need more than that.

    > Oh boy there it is, the old never statement. You seriously think that no
    > one will ever need 256TB? I'm thinking holographics might require such
    > space? Either way, never is a VERY long time.

    Never! Bank on it, I'm tellin' ya! :)

    LOL, what will we be storing when 256 TB is as trivial as the 64k
    Barry noted?

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 20, 2007
  9. Dusty Steenbock

    smackedass Guest

    > While I'm at it, whatever happened to Apple's "Apple II Forever"!

    I have an eMachine in my basement, I think it had a PII processor and 128 MB
    of RAM, there's a sticker on it that says "Never Obsolete".

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 20, 2007
  10. Dusty Steenbock

    Mister Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:08:23 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >JohnO wrote:

    >> > Oh boy there it is, the old never statement. You seriously think that no
    >> > one will ever need 256TB? I'm thinking holographics might require such
    >> > space? Either way, never is a VERY long time.

    >> Never! Bank on it, I'm tellin' ya! :)
    >>
    >> LOL, what will we be storing when 256 TB is as trivial as the 64k
    >> Barry noted?
    >>
    >> -John O

    > A subset of the US tax code?

    Or lots and lots of porn! :)