Re: Partial charging and total cycles [was:Priming new lithium ion battery for full capacity]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Quit Worrying About It, Sep 29, 2009.

  1. On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:09:57 +0100, Eddie <> wrote:

    >On 08:34 29 Sep 2009, wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:46:54 -0700, John Navas
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> That varies considerably, but even at that number, a charge
    >>> cycle or two has no measurable effect on life.

    >> The number 600 it at the high end. Other than an initial charge
    >> and discharge to calibrate the low battery level electronics
    >> there is no gain in a "few charge and discharge cycles". The
    >> gain in capacity after a "few charge and discharge cycles" comes
    >> with other battery technologies. Not Li-ion.

    >Can I ask you if all discharge/charge cycles are equal?
    >
    >Let's assume a Li-Ion battery can take, say, 500
    >discharges/charges.
    >
    >If that battery is not fully discharged on one occassion but has
    >80% charge left, then charging it up would provide no more than
    >20% of the usual charge it receives.
    >
    >Would that sort of partial discharge/charge be counted as one
    >cycle from the nominal 500 cycles it has?
    >
    >Or would it count as one fifth (20%) of one cycle out of of the
    >500?

    It depends more on the battery manufacturer than any generalizations about
    all NiMH batteries. I have some cheap generic "Telepower" off-brand AA
    NiMHs, a dozen for $10, that are over 10 yrs old, still taking and
    releasing a full charge. I have a set of expensive AA Maha brand batteries
    that only held up for 15 charges before they all crapped out. Within a few
    weeks of use they couldn't even release enough current after a full charge
    to power a pen-light, much less any camera or flash unit.

    There is no one rule that will apply to all. You buy your batteries and you
    take your chances. If they work for what you need them to do at a price
    that you find reasonable then buy more of the same next time.

    One thing I have found true though, never take the advice of what battery
    brand to buy from people in these newsgroups and other photography forums.
    That's for damn sure. I now buy any never-heard-of brand I can find, I
    haven't been disappointed yet by doing so. The converse is not true--buying
    brands recommended by newsgroup and forum trolls. I've since learned to
    patently avoid buying anything that they might recommend. My life is all
    the better for it, so is my bank-account, so is the longevity of my
    batteries' lives.

    Quit Worrying About It, Sep 29, 2009