Re: Parental Control

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zarathustra, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. zarathustra

    zarathustra Guest

    Phineas P. Hornswaggle doodled:
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:59:19 GMT, "zarathustra" <> ripped
    > off his/her clothing and screamed to the world:
    >
    >> He who doth Slump a lot doodled:
    >>> "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing
    >>> an intro and listened as UKALUM85 said

    >>> You fuckwit.
    >>> You typical dickhead politically correct Liberal prick.
    >>>
    >>> I'll tell you a story...
    >>>
    >>> My boy was 3 or 4 and going through the "I don't care what you say,
    >>> I'm going to do it anyway" phase.
    >>>
    >>> He goes to walk into the road.
    >>>
    >>> You tell him no.
    >>>
    >>> He says "**** you."
    >>>
    >>> He gets run over.
    >>>
    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> You smack the back of his legs the first time, and it doesn't happen
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> I don't give a shit WHY the kid does what he's told. If he's
    >>> terrified of gettingt a smack and it saves his life, I couldn't give
    >>> a ****.
    >>>
    >>> The ends justify the means.

    >> That's what Adolf said too...

    > GODWINS!

    QUIRK'S!1!

    --
    'the real TOMMY Tutalidge' wrote in message
    news:: - "The people that post in yenc have a
    pickle shoved up their arse."

    '-= Hawk =-' replied in message
    news:nkhdcv4c8uga0jonl0jpcgr8mt3g6m49na@news-server: - "And the people
    (like you) who whine about yEnc eat those pickles."

    http://www.viz.co.uk/profanisaurus/profanis.htm

    zarathustra, Jun 22, 2003

  2. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:43:30 GMT, "zarathustra" <> ripped
    off his/her clothing and screamed to the world:

    >Phineas P. Hornswaggle doodled:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:59:19 GMT, "zarathustra" <> ripped
    >> off his/her clothing and screamed to the world:
    >>
    >>> He who doth Slump a lot doodled:

    >>> That's what Adolf said too...

    >> GODWINS!

    >QUIRK'S!1!

    LINK ???/?

    --
    The villagers trembled as a blinding flash of pointlessness illuminated
    the night-time skies.

    Phineas P. Hornswaggle, Jun 22, 2003

  3. zarathustra

    Josef Knecht Guest

    Phineas P. Hornswaggle <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:43:30 GMT, "zarathustra" <> ripped
    >off his/her clothing and screamed to the world:
    >
    >>Phineas P. Hornswaggle doodled:
    >>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:59:19 GMT, "zarathustra" <> ripped
    >>> off his/her clothing and screamed to the world:

    >>> GODWINS!

    >>QUIRK'S!1!

    >LINK ???/?

    http://tinyurl.com/fn3p

    ;oÞ

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Josef Knecht, Jun 30, 2003
  4. On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:55:55 +0100, Josef Knecht
    <> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed
    to the world:

    >Phineas P. Hornswaggle <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:43:30 GMT, "zarathustra" <> ripped
    >>off his/her clothing and screamed to the world:
    >>
    >>>Phineas P. Hornswaggle doodled:

    >>>QUIRK'S!1!

    >>LINK ???/?

    >http://tinyurl.com/fn3p
    >
    >;oÞ

    Most cool! like teh noo .sig <not> LOL

    Godwin's Law FAQ
    -or-
    "How to post about Nazis and get away with it"

    One of the most famous pieces of Usenet trivia out there is "if you mention
    Hitler or Nazis in a post, you've automatically ended whatever discussion
    you were taking part in". Known as Godwin's Law, this rule of Usenet has a
    long and sordid history on the network - and is absolutely wrong. This FAQ
    is an attempt to set straight as much of the history and meaning of Godwin's
    Law as possible, and hopefully encourage users to invoke it a bit more
    sparingly. Of course, knowing Usenet, it won't do an ounce of good...

    [Standard Disclaimers: this document assumes you have some basic knowledge
    of Usenet; if you don't, go check out news.announce.newusers for a while to
    gain said knowledge. Misuse of the information contained within this FAQ
    is not the responsibility of the author (though he's pretty confused exactly
    how you could misuse this information). Copyright 1999, Tim Skirvin, all
    rights reserved, <FISH><, fnord, furrfu.]

    I. The Basics
    1. What is Godwin's Law?

    Godwin's Law is a natural law of Usenet named after Mike Godwin
    () concerning Usenet "discussions". It reads, according to
    the Jargon File:

    As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
    involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

    2. What does it mean?

    It pretty much means exactly what it says - as a Usenet thread
    goes on, the chances of somebody or something being compared to a Nazi
    approach one.

    3. Yes, but what does it *mean*?

    Aah, now *there's* the real question.

    In case your head has been buried in the sand for the last sixty
    years or so, the Nazis were a German political party lead by Adolf Hitler
    that slaughtered upwards of ten-million people that didn't meet their
    standards of "ethnic purity" and set off to conquer Europe and the world
    in World War II. They are generally considered the most evil group of
    people to live in modern times, and to compare something or someone to
    them is usually considered the gravest insult imaginable.

    As a Usenet discussion gets longer it tends to get more heated; as
    more heat enters the discussion, tensions get higher and people start to
    insult each other over anything they can think of. Godwin's Law merely
    notes that, eventually, those tensions eventually cause someone to find
    the worst insults that come to mind - which will almost always include a
    Nazi comparison.

    4. That still doesn't answer my question. What does it *MEAN*?

    The Law is generally used on Usenet as an indicator of whether a
    thread has gone on too long, who's playing fair and who's just slinging
    mud, and who finally gets to "win" the discussion. It has, over time,
    become the closest thing to an impartial moderator that Usenet can get.

    So, what this means in practical terms:

    o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
    wasn't necessary or germane without it necessarily being an
    insult, it's probably about time for the thread to end.
    o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
    was vaguely related but is basically being used as an insult,
    the speaker can be considered to be flaming and not debating.
    o If someone brings up Nazis in any conversation that has been
    going on too long for one of the parties, it can be used as
    a fair excuse to end the thread and declare victory for the
    other side.

    5. So - *WHAT DOES IT MEAN*?

    Fine, fine - it means that somebody's eventually going to say
    something about the Nazis in any thread that lasts very long. When it
    happens, the thread is going to start either degenerating into a long
    flamewar over Nazi Germany or about Godwin's Law. Either way, the thread
    is effectively over, and you can safely killfile the thread a

    Phineas P. Hornswaggle, Jul 1, 2003