Re: Parallels Desktop for Mac v Vmware Fusion

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Empson, Nov 23, 2008.

  1. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    thing <> wrote:

    > opinions pls

    Have you tried doing a Google search? There have been lots of
    comparisons elsewhere, and aren't likely to be all that many Mac users
    reading this newsgroup who have tried both.

    I use VMware Fusion, haven't had much experience with Parallels Desktop.
    I briefly tried it on a couple of occasions.

    The main reason I got Fusion was I happened to want a virtualisation
    product just after it was introduced, and they had a half price
    introductory offer.

    In earlier versions it apparently had many technical advantages over
    Parallels Desktop, including better support for USB peripherals, more
    DirectX support, and the ability to support multiple cores. My
    understanding is that Parallels has largely caught up on these issues.

    Parallels Desktop had a head start and a somewhat nicer user interface,
    but VMware Fusion caught up a fair distance when version 2 was released
    (e.g. adding icons to let you see virtual hard drive activity).

    VMware released Fusion 2 as a free upgrade for version 1 users, whereas
    Parallels were charging for their recent version 4 update. I doubt that
    the next major update of Fusion will be free.

    They are now largely similar in functionality. One potential reason to
    prefer VMware is if you are dealing with VMware virtual machine
    solutions on other platforms, since the virtual machines are
    transferrable.

    I've been pretty happy with VMware Fusion. I'm using it with Windows XP
    Pro for an occasional need to run Windows-specific software from work,
    firwmare updates or configuration of peripherals which only support this
    under Windows, building FileMaker Pro runtimes for Windows, or to assist
    people with Mac and Windows integration issues.

    I previously used Virtual PC on PowerPC Macs for these tasks (which was
    a painfully slow experience).

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 23, 2008

  2. David Empson

    Your Name Guest

    "David Empson" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > I previously used Virtual PC on PowerPC Macs for these tasks (which was
    > a painfully slow experience).

    Virtual PC got slow in the later versions or when using the over-bloated
    newer versions of Windows, Office etc..

    I'm use Virtual PC 3 with Windows 95 on a 266MHz G3 PowerMac ... and it's
    STILL faster than this Dell box I'm stuck using for Internet access (thanks
    to ihug!!) with Windows 2000!!
    Your Name, Nov 23, 2008

  3. David Empson

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:
    > I am pondering a new laptop as my old one is fsked, the toshiba nipple
    > no longer works and the pcmcia seems shot as well...she who must be
    > obeyed wants a Mac one, but at $1850 v $1100 for an Asus (2 year
    > warrantee) plus a huge wack if I want to extend with the Apple warrantee
    > its hard to justify...twice as much....

    Especially when they take half your mouse buttons away ;-)
    EMB, Nov 23, 2008
  4. David Empson

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> thing wrote:
    >>> I am pondering a new laptop as my old one is fsked, the toshiba
    >>> nipple no longer works and the pcmcia seems shot as well...she who
    >>> must be obeyed wants a Mac one, but at $1850 v $1100 for an Asus (2
    >>> year warrantee) plus a huge wack if I want to extend with the Apple
    >>> warrantee its hard to justify...twice as much....

    >> Especially when they take half your mouse buttons away ;-)

    > yeah and that drives me mad as well...if apple wanted to be unique, have
    > 4 or something....

    Buy the Asus and dual boot it as a Hackintosh.
    EMB, Nov 23, 2008
  5. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    EMB <> wrote:

    > thing wrote:
    > > I am pondering a new laptop as my old one is fsked, the toshiba nipple
    > > no longer works and the pcmcia seems shot as well...she who must be
    > > obeyed wants a Mac one, but at $1850 v $1100 for an Asus (2 year
    > > warrantee) plus a huge wack if I want to extend with the Apple warrantee
    > > its hard to justify...twice as much....

    > Especially when they take half your mouse buttons away ;-)

    Apple decided that one button was too many. The latest laptops have no
    trackpad button at all.

    The entire trackpad is a clickable button (hinged at the top), or you
    can enable tap-to-click.

    There is a configuration option to sense whether you are tapping or
    clicking in the bottom left corner or bottom right corner, and maps that
    to primary or secondary click according to which way around you
    configured them.

    Current models and earlier ones (going back several years) also support
    two-finger tap to secondary click (which I'm very happy with).

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 23, 2008
  6. David Empson

    Your Name Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > EMB wrote:
    > > thing wrote:
    > >> I am pondering a new laptop as my old one is fsked, the toshiba nipple
    > >> no longer works and the pcmcia seems shot as well...she who must be
    > >> obeyed wants a Mac one, but at $1850 v $1100 for an Asus (2 year
    > >> warrantee) plus a huge wack if I want to extend with the Apple
    > >> warrantee its hard to justify...twice as much....

    > > Especially when they take half your mouse buttons away ;-)

    Actually, all of Apple's new laptops (the exception is the cheapest, that
    isn't really new) have no buttons at all - you have to tap the trackpad,
    which can take some getting used to, especially for dragging files around.

    > yeah and that drives me mad as well...if apple wanted to be unique, have
    > 4 or something....

    If Apple wanted to be unique, they'd have a four-button mouse that looks
    like it only has one button. ;-)

    $1850 for an Apple laptop?!? You must mean the cheapest MacBook that is
    still white plastic. I'd stay away from that one - not only is it now "old"
    technology, but the white also gets VERY dirty VERY quickly. Spend a bit
    more and go with the next model up in aluminium. :)

    You do have to remember that the "extra cost" for an Apple machine gives you
    NO viruses / nasties to deal with and (if you rally must) the ability to
    have two / three machines in one by legally running Windows and Linux as
    well.

    BUT there *IS* one extra cost that has to be added in. Macs do not come with
    any "office software", so you have to add the price of either iWork or
    Microsoft Office into you purchase price. The home version of Microsoft
    Office can, for a change, be a good buy since it is fully compatible with
    the Windows versions and allows you to install it on three separate Macs.

    You may also want to increase the standard memory ... but do not do that via
    the AppleStore's custom build options. It's cheaper to do it yourself with a
    RAM stick from a PC shop.
    Your Name, Nov 23, 2008
  7. David Empson

    Your Name Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > $1850 for an Apple laptop?!? You must mean the cheapest MacBook that is
    > > still white plastic.

    > Yes.
    >
    > > I'd stay away from that one - not only is it now "old" technology, but

    the
    > > white also gets VERY dirty VERY quickly. Spend a bit more and go
    > > with the next model up in aluminium. :)

    > So for the Allow one that's $2300 plus apple care ($379?)....for a
    > machine with 1gb of ram, a 13inch screen and a 120gb harddrive....so
    > $2700 FFS plus Fusion or Parallels....uh no.

    All of Apple's new laptops come with 2GB of RAM now (again, excluding the
    cheap white plastic MacBook which is really still an old model - maybe Apple
    has a lot of excess stock to get rid of). The cheapest aluminium MacBook has
    a 160GB hard drive and faster BUS speed (although a marginally slower chip
    than the white plastic one), as well as a better graphics "card".

    The price of the cheapest aluminium MacBook is just under $2400, although if
    you know a tertiary student you can get one for just under $2300 at the
    education price. :)

    AppleCare is up to you. I can't recall knowing anyone in 20+ years who has
    had it or needed it ... BUT like all insurance it can be very handy *IF*
    you do need it and an expensive "scam" if you don't.

    Another thing you might want to add is a laptop bag. You don't usually get
    one free with Apple laptops, although sometimes a shop may bundle one in. I
    did recently see that the Mac Home version of Microsoft Office was being
    bundled with a laptop bag too.

    There is also no dial-up / fax modem on any Apple computer, which may or may
    not bother you.

    You could always go for a 17" MacBook Pro ... only $5,099 before you add in
    any extras. ;-)

    > For that amount I could get a good (enough) laptop and a very good
    > desktop unit....

    And still have virus problems to deal with and be stuck with Microsloth's
    sub-standard, over-bloated and horribly slow operating system: Vista. :)

    > > BUT there *IS* one extra cost that has to be added in. Macs do not come

    with
    > > any "office software", so you have to add the price of either iWork or
    > > Microsoft Office into you purchase price.

    > uh...no....Open Office.
    >
    > Open Office is compatible with all open office versions on other OSes.

    Possibly. Last time I looked at the free Office options was some time back
    and they were useless, but they may well be much better. Not being from
    Microsoft themselves, the free options will never be 100% compatible, but
    may well be good enough for your needs.

    > > You may also want to increase the standard memory ... but do not do that

    via
    > > the AppleStore's custom build options. It's cheaper to do it yourself

    with a
    > > RAM stick from a PC shop.

    > Which is what I usually do.
    >
    > Im happy with iMacs, getting a new work one shortly....even the Pros are
    > probably worth the Apple margin, but now Ive looked the mac laptops they
    > are shockingly over-priced IMHO...

    Not really. When you compare the spec sheets you'll usually find they are
    good value. Most of the cheaper PC laptops are often using older, slower
    CPUs for example, don't have in-built webcams, etc. If you beef-up the cheap
    PC laptop with extras to have the equivalent specs you often find the price
    is more than Apple's laptops.
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2008
  8. David Empson

    Your Name Guest

    Dork Smith is currently advertising the 24" iMac and the middle (aluminium)
    MacBook at the same price as everyone else, except they are adding in
    Microsloth Office (Home / Student) for free.
    Your Name, Nov 30, 2008