Re: Paradise / Clear people...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob S, Sep 22, 2007.

  1. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > BTMO wrote:
    >> In case you are curious what it is like being a Clear or Paradise
    >> newsgroup customer at the moment, we are able to post messages that we
    >> (C and P customers) can see, but we can't read anything else, or post
    >> messages that the rest of you can see.
    >>
    >> We seem to get one up / download per day. Some messages aren't making
    >> it either way.
    >>

    > I emailed tech support on Saturday, got a form email back saying my
    > complaint would be dealt with within 48 hrs, then on monday got this
    >
    > "Due to the complexity of diagnosing faults, we are unable to assist via
    > email, but I have forwarded your request to them to look into."
    >
    > Looks like it's ok here now.

    Well, yewsterday was fine, it looked like all posts had come through,
    but today back to 9 posts in the past 30 hours. Motzarella here I come.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk
    and the first thing you think is, 'edit, undo.'
    Rob S, Sep 22, 2007

  2. Rob S

    Frank Guest

    fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    Frank, Sep 22, 2007

  3. Rob S

    Frank Guest

    fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    get on again. Outage ?

    Frank, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Rob S

    miken Guest

    Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:57:48 +1200, "Frank" <> wrote:

    >Well, yewsterday was fine, it looked like all posts had come through,
    >but today back to 9 posts in the past 30 hours. Motzarella here I come.

    I'm getting nothing from motzarella either!
    miken, Sep 22, 2007
  5. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    miken wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:57:48 +1200, "Frank" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, yewsterday was fine, it looked like all posts had come through,
    >> but today back to 9 posts in the past 30 hours. Motzarella here I come.

    > I'm getting nothing from motzarella either!

    I'm getting posts from Motzarella no problems. TC/Paradise server just
    getting posts from other TC/Paradise customers.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create
    the universe." - Carl Sagan
    Rob S, Sep 23, 2007
  6. Rob S

    John Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:39:16 +1200, Rob S wrote:

    > miken wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:57:48 +1200, "Frank" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, yewsterday was fine, it looked like all posts had come through,
    >>> but today back to 9 posts in the past 30 hours. Motzarella here I come.

    >> I'm getting nothing from motzarella either!

    > I'm getting posts from Motzarella no problems. TC/Paradise server just
    > getting posts from other TC/Paradise customers.

    Like Frank, I'm not getting anything from Motzarella either.
    John, Sep 23, 2007
  7. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    Don't know what they've done, but I've just got 15745 messages in
    nz.comp, going back to 11/01/07, with similar amounts and dates in other
    groups I subscribe to. Have the techs done a complete restore?

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    665.9238429876 - Number of the Pentium Beast
    Rob S, Sep 23, 2007
  8. Rob S

    sam Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Don't know what they've done, but I've just got 15745 messages in
    > nz.comp, going back to 11/01/07, with similar amounts and dates in other
    > groups I subscribe to. Have the techs done a complete restore?

    I can still only see 2 messages for today in news.paradise.net.nz and
    news.clear.net.nz.
    Its still broken.
    Perhaps they could ask one of the other isps to help them out.
    Telling their helpdesk what usenet is would be a good start.
    sam, Sep 23, 2007
  9. Rob S

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:58:17 +1200, "Frank" <> wrote:

    >get on again. Outage ?
    >
    >The Biker <> wrote in message
    >
    >"Rob S" <here@home> wrote in message news:46f46cd4$...
    >> Rob S wrote:

    >>> I emailed tech support on Saturday, got a form email back saying my
    >>> complaint would be dealt with within 48 hrs, then on monday got this
    >>>
    >>> "Due to the complexity of diagnosing faults, we are unable to assist via
    >>> email, but I have forwarded your request to them to look into."
    >>>
    >>> Looks like it's ok here now.

    >> Well, yewsterday was fine, it looked like all posts had come through, but
    >> today back to 9 posts in the past 30 hours. Motzarella here I come.
    >>

    >>That's not working right now either. I just got chucked off and can't

    Well that confirms there was a problem at least - 1064 messages just
    came through!
    , Sep 24, 2007
  10. Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:46:11 +1200, TarlaStar wrote:

    >> Well that confirms there was a problem at least - 1064 messages just
    >> came through!

    > Yep, a tad over 1700 for me. I'm feeling slightly bloated.

    One of the NGs that I read still has not had any messages come through.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 24, 2007
  11. Rob S

    TarlaStar Guest

    TarlaStar, Sep 24, 2007
  12. Rob S

    Guest

    Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    On 24 Sep 2007 18:33:28 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:46:11 +1200, TarlaStar wrote:
    >
    >>> Well that confirms there was a problem at least - 1064 messages just
    >>> came through!

    >> Yep, a tad over 1700 for me. I'm feeling slightly bloated.

    >One of the NGs that I read still has not had any messages come through.

    Quite a few groups (including probably all the binary groups) are
    still not being fed. And I am not aware of Paradise ever once
    admitting that anything was not working. Has there been even a mention
    in the news media of another ISP taking away a service without even
    telling its customers?
    , Sep 24, 2007
  13. Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:54:38 +1200, Rich80105 wrote:

    >>> Yep, a tad over 1700 for me. I'm feeling slightly bloated.

    >>One of the NGs that I read still has not had any messages come through.

    > Quite a few groups (including probably all the binary groups) are
    > still not being fed. And I am not aware of Paradise ever once
    > admitting that anything was not working. Has there been even a mention
    > in the news media of another ISP taking away a service without even
    > telling its customers?

    I don't care at all about the Binary NGs.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 24, 2007
  14. Rob S

    Steve B Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:54:38 +1200, wrote:

    >On 24 Sep 2007 18:33:28 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    >wrote:

    >>> Yep, a tad over 1700 for me. I'm feeling slightly bloated.

    >>One of the NGs that I read still has not had any messages come through.

    >Quite a few groups (including probably all the binary groups) are
    >still not being fed.

    alt.binaries.pictures erotica 296
    a.b.p.e.female 146

    from where I sit on Paradise this morning. Similar flow yesterday.

    Mind you, I have no idea what the normal flow on those groups is like.
    No, honestly I don't.

    >And I am not aware of Paradise ever once
    >admitting that anything was not working. Has there been even a mention
    >in the news media of another ISP taking away a service without even
    >telling its customers?

    This ISP? This service?
    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8EE5C310AA4D7E43CC257165000CC945?Opendocument
    Maybe you're reading the wrong media :)

    Yesterday afternoon I emailed the T-C spokeswoman I quoted in my April
    story about their last major Usenet fallover. I'm the first one to say
    "correlation does not necessarily indicate causality", but there were
    over 1000 new postings in nz.general when I fired up my laptop at home
    y'day evening, and I had a prompt response promising to look into it
    and get a substantive explanation by today.

    Maybe there is an indication there of where you go to get results; not
    the MD, not the helpdesk, but the "communications" team.

    For the "official" story, see next Monday's Computerworld (editor
    willing). I may be able to slip in a brief comment piece on the
    importance of pre-web internet "social networking" channels :)

    Who needs pictures, flashy (or Flash-y) backgrounds and txt lgge to
    make ur point? We don'r embarrass people with videos of our playground
    fights either :)

    Steve B
    Steve B, Sep 24, 2007
  15. Rob S

    sam Guest

    Steve B wrote:

    > This ISP? This service?
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8EE5C310AA4D7E43CC257165000CC945?Opendocument
    > Maybe you're reading the wrong media :)
    >
    > Yesterday afternoon I emailed the T-C spokeswoman I quoted in my April
    > story about their last major Usenet fallover. I'm the first one to say
    > "correlation does not necessarily indicate causality", but there were
    > over 1000 new postings in nz.general when I fired up my laptop at home
    > y'day evening, and I had a prompt response promising to look into it
    > and get a substantive explanation by today.
    >
    > Maybe there is an indication there of where you go to get results; not
    > the MD, not the helpdesk, but the "communications" team.
    >
    > For the "official" story, see next Monday's Computerworld (editor
    > willing). I may be able to slip in a brief comment piece on the
    > importance of pre-web internet "social networking" channels :)

    Yes I think you are right, they were clearly not interested in fixing
    the problem when I called the helpdesk, their email to me said that
    there were no issues that they were aware of with their news server.
    I was not asking them, I was telling them and I bet a lot of other
    people did as well.
    Despite their commitment to answer within 24 hours it took much longer,
    and actually fixing it took about nine days. I haven't received any
    explanation at all.
    So I'll be interested in seeing your article, it may be the only way
    that we will ever get any sense of accountability from the people that
    make their living from (not) delivering our internet services.
    sam, Sep 24, 2007
  16. Rob S

    Guest

    Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 06:20:14 +1200, Steve B
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:54:38 +1200, wrote:
    >
    >>On 24 Sep 2007 18:33:28 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>One of the NGs that I read still has not had any messages come through.

    >>Quite a few groups (including probably all the binary groups) are
    >>still not being fed.

    >alt.binaries.pictures erotica 296
    >a.b.p.e.female 146
    >
    >from where I sit on Paradise this morning. Similar flow yesterday.
    >
    >Mind you, I have no idea what the normal flow on those groups is like.
    >No, honestly I don't.
    >
    >>And I am not aware of Paradise ever once
    >>admitting that anything was not working. Has there been even a mention
    >>in the news media of another ISP taking away a service without even
    >>telling its customers?

    >This ISP? This service?
    >http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8EE5C310AA4D7E43CC257165000CC945?Opendocument
    >Maybe you're reading the wrong media :)

    That article appeared to be talking about Xtra some time ago. Are you
    saying it is relevant to recent problems with Telstra-Clear /
    Paradise?

    >Yesterday afternoon I emailed the T-C spokeswoman I quoted in my April
    >story about their last major Usenet fallover. I'm the first one to say
    >"correlation does not necessarily indicate causality", but there were
    >over 1000 new postings in nz.general when I fired up my laptop at home
    >y'day evening, and I had a prompt response promising to look into it
    >and get a substantive explanation by today.
    >
    >Maybe there is an indication there of where you go to get results; not
    >the MD, not the helpdesk, but the "communications" team.
    >
    >For the "official" story, see next Monday's Computerworld (editor
    >willing). I may be able to slip in a brief comment piece on the
    >importance of pre-web internet "social networking" channels :)
    >
    >Who needs pictures, flashy (or Flash-y) backgrounds and txt lgge to
    >make ur point? We don'r embarrass people with videos of our playground
    >fights either :)
    >
    >Steve B

    Thanks for that. Yes it does appear that binary groups are receiving
    messages again.

    I had only had contact with the helpdesk (shouldn't they be able to
    help? - is there a contact number for the "communications" team?)
    and had seen that the indicator of problems on the web page did not
    acknowledge any problems with usenet,
    and had sent to "contact us" emails neither of which received a
    satisfactory reply, or even an acknowledgement.

    I am generally happy with Paradise but they do need to smarten up
    their PR when a 'fault' does occur.

    Good on you for following this up with a story - I do believe that
    Usenet is a very useful tool for some purposes - I found it for
    example much more helpful for problems with Word and Access than
    Microsoft help - and Microsoft recognise that by supporting the
    groups.

    Usenet is in some respects one of the few places where individuals can
    engage in discussion - albeit not in real time. nz.general does
    demonstrate the wide variety of views (and some of the extremes) in
    the NZ population on many issues, including attitudes to cooperation
    or individualism, to ignorance, bigotry, and simple misunderstandings.
    Even the resident trolls harvey and John B remind us that half the
    population have lower than average IQ and that there are some very
    damaged people out there.
    , Sep 24, 2007
  17. Rob S

    John Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Even the resident trolls harvey and John B remind us that half
    > the
    > population have lower than average IQ and that there are some
    > very
    > damaged people out there.

    A Labour Party communist troll calling someone else a troll. LOL!

    You've obviously forgotten to wipe Helen's bum again before your
    daily feast. Give it a wipe. And wipe the shit off your face
    while you're at it!
    John, Sep 24, 2007
  18. Rob S

    Steve B Guest

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:41:48 +1200, wrote:

    >Has there been even a mention
    >>>in the news media of another ISP taking away a service without even
    >>>telling its customers?

    >>This ISP? This service?
    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8EE5C310AA4D7E43CC257165000CC945?Opendocument
    >>Maybe you're reading the wrong media :)

    >That article appeared to be talking about Xtra some time ago. Are you
    >saying it is relevant to recent problems with Telstra-Clear /
    >Paradise?

    No, I was assuming that Xtra was the "other ISP" referred to above and
    the "service" Usenet, which they ceased supporting in May 2006.

    If I guessed wrong, I'm sure the original poster will tell me. But no;
    there is no connection between what Xtra did last year and the T-C
    problems this year, nor did I mean to imply one.

    Steve B.
    Steve B, Sep 25, 2007
  19. Rob S

    Max Burke Guest

    Re: fixed Re: Paradise / Clear people...

    > In news: Steve B Scribbled:
    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:54:38 +1200, wrote:

    > This ISP? This service?
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8EE5C310AA4D7E43CC257165000CC945?Opendocument
    > Maybe you're reading the wrong media :)

    > Yesterday afternoon I emailed the T-C spokeswoman I quoted in my April
    > story about their last major Usenet fallover. I'm the first one to say
    > "correlation does not necessarily indicate causality", but there were
    > over 1000 new postings in nz.general when I fired up my laptop at home
    > y'day evening, and I had a prompt response promising to look into it
    > and get a substantive explanation by today.
    >
    > Maybe there is an indication there of where you go to get results; not
    > the MD, not the helpdesk, but the "communications" team.
    >
    > For the "official" story, see next Monday's Computerworld (editor
    > willing). I may be able to slip in a brief comment piece on the
    > importance of pre-web internet "social networking" channels :)
    >
    > Who needs pictures, flashy (or Flash-y) backgrounds and txt lgge to
    > make ur point? We don'r embarrass people with videos of our playground
    > fights either :)

    Here is the BS response I got back from the Helpdesk:
    I have replied, and am also including this response in a official letter of
    complaint to Telestra Clear...

    Max Burke, Sep 25, 2007
  20. Rob S

    sam Guest