Re: Paper and the Epson Stylus Photo 2200

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Idolize55)
    >
    >I recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printer.
    >I've been using Epson Premium Glossy, but someone
    >mentioned that it wasn't archival. None of the Epson
    >papers I looked at mentioned anything about being archival.

    Epson is nervous about making claims something is "archival" since the word has
    different meanings to different people.

    Here's a link to *estimated* print life longevity with the 2200 papers, the
    numbers are only a scientific guess since they rely on accelerated testing at
    high light levels under specific conditions for temperature and humidity, but
    are as good a guess as you'll likely find.

    Epson PGPP, the paper you're using, is rated at 56 years, which is excellent.

    http://www.inkjetart.com/news/longevity/index.html

    >I'm looking to print some of my fashion work for my portfolio, so can
    >anyone recommend a glossy paper that gives great, clean, crisp
    >results for the 2200? (Archival paper would be a definite plus.)

    I have the 2200 ... to my tastes, the best Epson paper for printing portraits
    is the Premium Luster Photo Paper, rated at 71 years. My favorite all-around
    higher gloss paper for the 2200 is Premium Semi-Gloss, rated at 54 years.

    I like glossy papers, but the issue with the 2200 and PGPP (Premium Glossy
    Photo Paper) is the tendency for black ink to pool up and look "funny" if you
    turn the paper at a slight angle, sometimes called "gloss differential". You
    can test this yourself by printing something with a patch of black in it,
    viewing the print with the main light over your shoulder and turning the paper
    slowly up to 30 degrees. The black will turn a weird looking bronze or grey
    color. If you can live with that then the PGPP is the paper for you.

    Anyway, don't worry about the archival properties of any of these papers, just
    try a few prints on each of them and see what looks best to your tastes.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Bill Hilton

    Idolize55 Guest

    >I like glossy papers, but the issue with the 2200 and PGPP (Premium Glossy
    >Photo Paper) is the tendency for black ink to pool up and look "funny" if you
    >turn the paper at a slight angle, sometimes called "gloss differential". You
    >can test this yourself by printing something with a patch of black in it,
    >viewing the print with the main light over your shoulder and turning the
    >paper
    >slowly up to 30 degrees. The black will turn a weird looking bronze or grey
    >color. If you can live with that then the PGPP is the paper for you.
    >
    >Anyway, don't worry about the archival properties of any of these papers,
    >just
    >try a few prints on each of them and see what looks best to your tastes.
    >
    >Bill

    Thanks, Bill. It's strange, but black doesn't "pool up" on me when I print.
    However, dark reds and burgandies do.It doesn't bother me too much since most
    of the prints I do get put behind clear plastic, vinyl or glass. I've used some
    of the semi-gloss paper before and wasn't too thrilled with the appearance it
    had for the type of work I was printing. (I guess I've just been spoiled by
    "traditional" glossy paper photo paper, which has an extremely glossy surface.)
    I do, however, like semi-gloss and matte papers for things like commercial
    advertisements. (You know, things like restaurant "table tents", etc.)

    Thanks for the suggestions. **Runs out to try the Lustere paper to see what
    that's all about.** ;-)

    Idolize55, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Bill Hilton

    JIM Guest

    "Idolize55" <> wrote in message
    .....<cut>....It doesn't bother me too much since most
    > of the prints I do get put behind clear plastic, vinyl or glass.

    .....<cut>....

    I have to agree with Mr. Hilton on his paper selections; however, Epson does
    furnish at least one type that has "archival" in its title: Archival Matte
    Paper.

    Do a little experiment, since you state "....get put behind ....or glass."
    Print the same pic on your favorite glossy paper and on the matte type paper
    (I prefer the Archival one;)). Since this is a test, no need to wait for
    them to dry the recommended 24 hours, just place both behind a sheet of
    glass and see if you can tell which is glossier? I doubt there is that much
    perceived difference between the two except you wont have to deal with any
    funny blocking effects with the matte papers.............

    Shoot'em up, print on anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
    you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Sep 18, 2003

  4. > I have to agree with Mr. Hilton on his paper selections; however, Epson does
    > furnish at least one type that has "archival" in its title: Archival Matte
    > Paper.

    this is true. This paper should in theory last over a century, and it
    is even cheaper than the glossy. So for framing, this should be the
    perfect paper for a pigment-based printer.

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com