Re: Panasonic tough Book

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Oct 4, 2009.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    max wrote:
    > Hi Guys
    > A friend has a couple of CF-M34 which are just the thing for using out
    > on the track, but....
    >
    > The battery packs are stuffed, yes you can get new ones, but at $500 !!!!!!
    >
    > I repacked one with cells out of a new IBM that fell my way, and it will
    > not charge.
    >
    > If I charge the cells on the bench, they still don't power up the
    > toughbook ...and still show flat ..
    >
    > Now on the battery pack there is another connector, do I need to "talk"
    > to the battery pack somehow ???
    >
    > Anyone, any ideas ???

    Yes, there is often an eeprom in the pack used to store data on how
    stuffed the pack is.

    There is some commercial software to work with them, but I am sure if
    you have a decent look you can find some way of sorting it out for free.

    They seem to have a "failed" flag that when triggered will make it
    refuse to charge or run off the pack anymore

    Richard, Oct 4, 2009

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    max wrote:
    > Thanks richard, that is a start at least .... any hints on names for the
    > software ???
    >

    > Max
    >

    > Richard wrote:
    >> max wrote:
    >>> Hi Guys
    >>> A friend has a couple of CF-M34 which are just the thing for using
    >>> out on the track, but....
    >>>
    >>> The battery packs are stuffed, yes you can get new ones, but at $500
    >>> !!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> I repacked one with cells out of a new IBM that fell my way, and it
    >>> will not charge.
    >>>
    >>> If I charge the cells on the bench, they still don't power up the
    >>> toughbook ...and still show flat ..
    >>>
    >>> Now on the battery pack there is another connector, do I need to
    >>> "talk" to the battery pack somehow ???
    >>>
    >>> Anyone, any ideas ???

    >> Yes, there is often an eeprom in the pack used to store data on how
    >> stuffed the pack is.
    >>
    >> There is some commercial software to work with them, but I am sure if
    >> you have a decent look you can find some way of sorting it out for free.
    >>
    >> They seem to have a "failed" flag that when triggered will make it
    >> refuse to charge or run off the pack anymore

    Not sure of the univeral one, there are specific ones for manufacturers
    that they guard pretty well..

    googling for laptop battery eeprom gets a few results, but without
    knowing anything about any of them I dont really want to go posting
    links to specific ones

    Richard, Oct 5, 2009