Re: Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda_N, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Linda_N

    Linda_N Guest

    "BenOne©" <> wrote in message
    > Linda_N wrote:
    >

    >> Fair enough on the lugging part, and IS. There still is no expandability
    >> though, and the Rebel 300D with non-IS lens can be had for $800, and just
    >> over $1,000 with a consumer level IS lens. To me the 8800 is overpriced
    >> at $1000 for a fixed lens considering the reduced prices of entry level
    >> dSLRs. $800 would be more fair in my opinion. The Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    >> (is only 3.2 megs though) is only $400. I realize the 8800 has more
    >> features including the Nikon version of RAW, but I'm still thinking it is
    >> overpriced.

    > Which online sites have you seen the 300D for $800?

    Abes of Maine $814, Butterfly Photo $809, Central Digital $814 that I know
    of. Also if you load the review for 300D on the dpreview.com site and then
    press the 'Compare Prices' link you'll probably find a hoard of other
    retailers selling for $814 (just guessing but that's in line with the
    current reseller pricing from Canon and the regular 30 point retailer
    mark-up this time of year.) Expect to see a drop in the next month again
    which may come in the form of a rebate.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 10, 2004

  2. "Linda_N" <> writes:

    > "BenOne©" <> wrote in message
    > > Linda_N wrote:
    > >

    > >> Fair enough on the lugging part, and IS. There still is no expandability
    > >> though, and the Rebel 300D with non-IS lens can be had for $800, and just
    > >> over $1,000 with a consumer level IS lens. To me the 8800 is overpriced
    > >> at $1000 for a fixed lens considering the reduced prices of entry level
    > >> dSLRs. $800 would be more fair in my opinion. The Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    > >> (is only 3.2 megs though) is only $400. I realize the 8800 has more
    > >> features including the Nikon version of RAW, but I'm still thinking it is
    > >> overpriced.

    > > Which online sites have you seen the 300D for $800?
    > >

    > Abes of Maine $814, Butterfly Photo $809, Central Digital $814 that I know
    > of. Also if you load the review for 300D on the dpreview.com site and then
    > press the 'Compare Prices' link you'll probably find a hoard of other
    > retailers selling for $814 (just guessing but that's in line with the
    > current reseller pricing from Canon and the regular 30 point retailer
    > mark-up this time of year.) Expect to see a drop in the next month again
    > which may come in the form of a rebate.

    I would urge you to check resellerratings.com. Abes of Maine (which is located
    in Brooklyn by the way) and Butterfly Photo I recognize as being camera dealers
    that often times are accused of having excessively high prices on extras, and
    if you don't buy the extras, the camera mysteriously is no longer available.
    Some shady dealers will remove all of the items (like a battery or manual) that
    the manufacturer puts in the box and of course resell them to you. Others will
    sell you a camera bought elsewhere whose warranty is not valid in the USA.

    On the other hand, I did just check with newegg.com (a vendor I have bought
    various computer gear from) and their price for the body only is $809.95
    ($899.95 if you want the starter lens). So it looks like digital rebel prices
    are falling.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Linda_N

    PETERWOJ Guest

    >just

    Frankly,with the X12 zoom of FZ3, going from 38 to 420 mm (35mm equivalent) I'm
    not sure what expandability you're talking about. To get such a zoom range on
    DSLR you'll need probably 2 but more likely 3 different lenses, right of the
    bat, just to be equal . Not sure about FZ3 but some other digital cameras (like
    the new Nikon 8800) will take adapters expanding already large zoom range even
    more. The fact that you can put FZ3 with its long zoom into your shirt pocket
    (almost) and have it with you at all times also counts as a big plus as oposed
    to DSLR where you would take full range of lenses only when planning to use
    them and left them behind more often than not. I also agree that Nikon 8800 at
    $1000 is way overpriced. But here is my conspiracy theory: The DSLR is so cheap
    because a)competition between Canon, Nikon, Pentax and others. b)good
    probability of making your money back on lenses. With 8800 you don't really
    need anything else. And it is first super zoom, IS, 8MP camera on the market
    and so far the only one. So there is no competition yet and a slim chance to
    make money on the lenses. I believe Nikon has a fish eye and tele converter
    attachments for 8800, but that doesn't compare to the amount of money you could
    spend on DSLR lenses. I can already see the times where buying large DSLR
    won't make much sense, unless you have specific needs not fulfilled by regular
    digital cam. With 8MP sensor Nikon 8800 already surpassed some DSLR's.
    PETERWOJ, Oct 11, 2004