Re: Pagedefrag hangs during boot sometimes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 1PW, Aug 2, 2009.

  1. 1PW

    1PW Guest

    Sarah Austin wrote:
    > XP Home on a 8 yr old AMD 1600 system.
    >
    > I came across Pagedefrag a couple of years ago, and it used to work fast
    > on bootup, with no problems, but lately it's started hanging up sometimes.
    >
    > The yellow HD light stays on but nothing happens and I have to reboot with
    > the reset switch and then bypass it during the count-down.
    >
    > I even thought of uninstalling it, but it doesn't show up as software in
    > the Control Panel.

    Hello Sarah:

    Pagedefrag is part of (now) Microsoft's venerable SysInternals Suite
    written by (now) Microsoft's Mark Russinovich and should be at version
    2.32

    By and of itself, the pagedfrg.exe bootup utility is not really
    harmful and although debatable by some, this program can organize your
    HDD's registry hives for those who believe their files should always
    be defraged. On more recent hardware & OSs optimizing one's registry
    hives has become less and less important.

    On a well running system, Pagedefrag can be allowed to remain as it
    uses no resources after the OS has completed booting.

    However, in your case, the service (C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgdfgsvc.exe)
    has assisted you in most likely finding a defect in your HDD and part
    of your registry hive is probably straddling that defect.

    Putting all this in the proper prospective: Pagedefrag won't hurt
    anything. In your individual case, Pagedefrag has probably helped you
    discover that an aging HDD is probably nearing its end-of-life point.

    Run a utility that will read, test with, and display your HDD's
    S.M.A.R.T. feature. If the results are beginning to show "Pre-fail"
    and/or "Old_age" you should immediately consider urgent remedial steps
    up to and including HDD replacement.

    Regards,

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Aug 2, 2009

  2. 1PW

    1PW Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > 1PW wrote:
    >> In your individual case, Pagedefrag has probably helped you
    >> discover that an aging HDD is probably nearing its end-of-life point.

    > Yeah, or the program is fucked up. In that case, it hangs on bootup.

    Hello Rôgêr:

    IMHO, Pagedefrag, and Mark's SysInternals in general, has a great
    reputation. Reloading Pagedefrag, from Microsoft, would assure the
    current version and rule out corruption of that bootup utility itself.
    It is after all not harmful, else we would have seen more trouble
    reports by now.

    But, perhaps the pgdfgsvc.exe service might need to have its error
    handling rechecked in conjunction with the OP's HDD drivers. However,
    that seems remote right now.

    If due diligence is to be served, I'd really like the OP to get the
    task specific HDD test utility from the mfgr. of her hard drive and
    see if anything shows up. A SMART inquiry of that HDD will probably
    be quite informative too.

    Warm regards,

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Aug 2, 2009

  3. 1PW

    1PW Guest

    Sarah Austin wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> wrote :
    >
    >> 1PW wrote:
    >>> In your individual case, Pagedefrag has probably helped you
    >>> discover that an aging HDD is probably nearing its end-of-life point.

    >> Yeah, or the program is fucked up. In that case, it hangs on bootup.
    >>

    > I should get rid of it then.

    Hello Sarah:

    I'm so sorry to see that you have been drawn to this conclusion.
    However, I do wish you the best of luck.

    Regards,

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Aug 3, 2009
  4. 1PW

    1PW Guest

    Sarah Austin wrote:
    > 1PW <> wrote :
    >
    >> Sarah Austin wrote:
    >>> XP Home on a 8 yr old AMD 1600 system.
    >>>
    >>> I came across Pagedefrag a couple of years ago, and it used to work
    >>> fast on bootup, with no problems, but lately it's started hanging up
    >>> sometimes.
    >>>
    >>> The yellow HD light stays on but nothing happens and I have to
    >>> reboot with the reset switch and then bypass it during the
    >>> count-down.
    >>>
    >>> I even thought of uninstalling it, but it doesn't show up as
    >>> software in the Control Panel.

    >> Hello Sarah:
    >>
    >> Pagedefrag is part of (now) Microsoft's venerable SysInternals Suite
    >> written by (now) Microsoft's Mark Russinovich and should be at
    >> version 2.32
    >>
    >> By and of itself, the pagedfrg.exe bootup utility is not really
    >> harmful and although debatable by some, this program can organize
    >> your HDD's registry hives for those who believe their files should
    >> always be defraged. On more recent hardware & OSs optimizing one's
    >> registry hives has become less and less important.
    >>
    >> On a well running system, Pagedefrag can be allowed to remain as it
    >> uses no resources after the OS has completed booting.
    >>
    >> However, in your case, the service (C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgdfgsvc.exe)
    >> has assisted you in most likely finding a defect in your HDD and part
    >> of your registry hive is probably straddling that defect.
    >>
    >> Putting all this in the proper prospective: Pagedefrag won't hurt
    >> anything. In your individual case, Pagedefrag has probably helped
    >> you discover that an aging HDD is probably nearing its end-of-life
    >> point.

    > No, the HDD is like 5 months old, I upgraded to an 80GB and pagedefrag
    > has been running fine on it, until about a week ago.
    >
    >> Run a utility that will read, test with, and display your HDD's
    >> S.M.A.R.T. feature. If the results are beginning to show "Pre-fail"
    >> and/or "Old_age" you should immediately consider urgent remedial
    >> steps up to and including HDD replacement.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Pete

    Hello Sarah:

    To make the best possible decision, one must pursue all the best
    possible information. That condition has not been met.

    It is still most likely that a HDD defect has been found and removing
    software that /seems/ to fail is a misguided action.

    Fact: In the early stages of cancer, some patients will take
    self-prescribed pain killers because it masks the symptoms.
    Eventually the symptoms return. Just because a HDD is 5 months old,
    doesn't mean that a surface defect hasn't been found.

    Good luck,

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Aug 3, 2009
  5. 1PW

    1PW Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > 1PW wrote:
    >> Sarah Austin wrote:

    >>> No, the HDD is like 5 months old, I upgraded to an 80GB and
    >>> pagedefrag has been running fine on it, until about a week ago.

    >> Hello Sarah:
    >>
    >> To make the best possible decision, one must pursue all the best
    >> possible information. That condition has not been met.
    >>
    >> It is still most likely that a HDD defect has been found and removing
    >> software that /seems/ to fail is a misguided action.
    >>
    >> Fact: In the early stages of cancer, some patients will take
    >> self-prescribed pain killers because it masks the symptoms.
    >> Eventually the symptoms return. Just because a HDD is 5 months old,
    >> doesn't mean that a surface defect hasn't been found.

    > Fact: some people will keep running Microsoft software over and over in
    > the fervent belief that it will get better as time goes by. Fact.

    In this case, the 26KB pgdfgsvc file isn't /really/ doing harm, and
    quite possibly has had the unintended benefit of revealing a possible
    HDD defect. IMO, running other defrag utilities (and general cleanup
    utilities) are probably beneficial, if used sparingly and with care.

    > If she wishes to run some diagnostics on the drive, the drive's
    > manufacturer almost assuredly has some software for that.

    I couldn't agree more and of course it was already suggested.

    > Running a defrag program all the time is a waste of time and resources.

    In general, I agree here too. However, and specifically, PageDefrag
    has absolutely no footprint after the completion of the bootup process
    and probably /normally/ runs in less than two or three seconds - if that.

    The OP may not feel comfortable with looking at the SMART feature of
    her 'new' HDD and/or running the mfgr's HDD diagnostics. Pity.

    Warm regards,

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]