Re: P2 vs P3 Ques

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PC-Component.com, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. "KC" <> wrote in

    > Is there any notable difference to the user between a computer w/P2
    > 400mhz and one w/P3 500 mhz, both with 128 MB of RAM?
    >
    > thanks,
    > kate

    Yes. Even though there is only 100mhz worth of clock speed differecne
    you'll get quite a bit of performance difference. Some would expect there
    to be a 20% difference in perfoemance, but I would say it's more like 40%.

    Why? Because the FPU (Floating Point Unit) in the P3 is better, it has a
    100mhz front side bus instead of 66, the MB chipset might be better, and
    there are quite a few enhancements to the chip that make it all around
    better.

    If the P3 were the same as P2, would there have been any reason to make
    them?

    --
    -=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-
    Parts & Service