Re: Outsource slide scanning

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlie Self, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ed Wurster responds:

    >I took a batch of negatives to Target, and they were scanned to a
    >PictureCD -- 1100dpi or 1536x1024.
    >
    >The operator there told me that he could fit up to 50 on the CD. The cost
    >was $8.50, including tax.
    >
    >Of course I'd like more resolution. I'd also like the negatives to be dusted
    >and so on, but that costs more money.
    >
    >But for convenience, it was worth it.

    Try it with slides, though. The price jumps by a factor of 4-5-6. Too much
    handling for it to be less.

    I can get negative strips scanned for about $1+ each locally, but slides are
    $4.95, which is too much for the resolution involved.

    Charlie Self

    "The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating
    plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."
    George W. Bush
    Charlie Self, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Charlie Self

    Ed Wurster Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    | Ed Wurster responds:
    |

    | >I took a batch of negatives to Target, and they were scanned to a
    | >PictureCD -- 1100dpi or 1536x1024.
    | >
    | >The operator there told me that he could fit up to 50 on the CD. The cost
    | >was $8.50, including tax.
    | >
    | >Of course I'd like more resolution. I'd also like the negatives to be
    dusted
    | >and so on, but that costs more money.
    | >
    | >But for convenience, it was worth it.
    |
    | Try it with slides, though. The price jumps by a factor of 4-5-6. Too much
    | handling for it to be less.
    |
    | I can get negative strips scanned for about $1+ each locally, but slides
    are
    | $4.95, which is too much for the resolution involved.
    |
    | Charlie Self

    Have several thousand negatives, and very few slides. Whether you drop off,
    or do it your self, this sounds like a big investment. As usual, I'll try to
    keep the investment at hand.

    It appears that I'd need more than $500 in equipment and material. I'm
    consulting with my circle of friends to see what is available for loan.

    Another option is picking up something used, or a refurb. Not really looking
    for professional results.

    Ed
    Ed Wurster, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ed Wurster responds:

    >Have several thousand negatives, and very few slides. Whether you drop off,
    >or do it your self, this sounds like a big investment. As usual, I'll try to
    >keep the investment at hand.

    Got just the reverse. Well, almost. Many thousand slides, many hundred negs.

    I've got a few I need done soon--about 40--after which I'm going to buy a
    moderately priced scanner that is better than the unit I've got now (not even a
    scanner...it's an all-in-one, Lexmark X83, which is not bad at all as a
    printer, mediocre as a flat scanner and a shade better than mediocre for
    copies...I haven't tried the OCR yet).

    Refurbs can be very good and that's probably the way I'll go.

    Charlie Self, Aug 7, 2003