Re: Outlook Express to Outlook question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by VanguardLH, Mar 21, 2012.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Fredd Wright wrote:

    > I recently bought a new Windows 7 64-bit PC. On my old PC, I am currently
    > using Outlook Express on Windows XP 32bit for emails. The new Windows 7 PC
    > has Microsoft Office with Outlook 2003. Can anyone tell me how to transfer
    > my email settings, emails and message rules from OE to Outlook when they are
    > on two different computers? My email .dbx files are on a drive that is
    > accessible by both PCs if that helps.
    >
    > Also, once i do the transfer, how big can the email folders get on Outlook
    > 2003? I know OE has a limit of 2GB. I was wondering if it was the same for
    > Outlook.

    Make sure you copy the entire OE folder with the .dbx files, not just
    some of the .dbx files. That's because most users omit the folders.dbx
    file figuring it's not a message store but it contains the list of
    folders that you had defined in OE. Just copy over the entire OE folder
    which, on Windows XP, is found at:

    %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{IDnum}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

    Then use Outlook's import to get your old OE message store into Outlook.
    As to how large can your .pst file be for Outlook depends on whether or
    not you are still using the old ANSI .pst structure (limited to 2GB else
    truncation begins) or you migrated to the new Unicode format (which
    starts with a default 20GB size but can be increased). That you are now
    using Outlook 2003 doesn't tell us if you started with that version
    which would've created a Unicode .pst file by default or if you upgraded
    to OL2003 so the .pst file was created under an older version of Outlook
    and so it's the old ANSI format.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...t-to-a-unicode-data-file-pst-HP010080700.aspx
    VanguardLH, Mar 21, 2012