Re: OT: Unemployment

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by westnile, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. westnile

    westnile Guest

    In North Carolina, the standard length of time one receives unemployment
    benefits is 13 weeks. If the employment rate is 6.2% or more, that
    period is extended to 26 weeks. If the worker was laid off due to
    foreign import competition, or the manufacturing was moved offshore, the
    worker can get unemployment for up to two years, as long as they are in
    some kind of approved training, such as college (Trade Adjustment Act).
    An interesting fact is that even though a laid-off worker may get
    severance benefits for some period from the company that booted them,
    the worker can still get unemployment benfits from the state as long as
    they are enrolled in an approved training course. In NC, you must
    continue to seek employment and keeps records of your efforts to qualify
    for benefits. The maximum draw is $408 US per week, and it is taxed.
    The biggest hardship I have faced so far is that the cost of my health
    care insurance has tripled, from around $300/month to $925/month for a
    family of four, because the employer no longer subsidizes the health
    care plan. I also had to cancel dental, life and disability insurance,
    because I cannot afford it. Corporate America and their puppets in the
    U.S. Congress can kiss my ass. They are only interested in fattening
    their wallets by finding cheap labor overseas, and getting rid of older
    workers.

    westnile, Feb 15, 2004