Re: OT: Unemployment

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Rowdy Yates, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    almost every modern nation has an unemployement and or welfare system
    that is a very attractive (and in most cases better) standard of living
    than what the people who immigrate to take advantage of that system are
    accustomed to. up here in canada most of the immigrants are from 3rd
    world or war torn nations.

    the way i look at it. yeah, it's my tax dollars that's enabling them to
    live without contributing much to the society (i.e. waking up @ 6am to go
    to work, like me!). but, i am not very active with charities and so on.
    they don't have very marketable skills to begin with. and i would rather
    they be here living off my tax dollars than back in the country they came
    from where god knows what forms of hardships, pain and suffering they and
    their children might have to endure. if the money didn't go to them, the
    money would most probably go to building a new ski lodge for one of the
    ministers in parliament. :-(

    as far as the actual system goes. i never collected welfare, so i can't
    comment. i collected Unemployement Insurance once many years ago. the
    process is fairly effortless but it's not very much. definatly not enough
    to support rent, mortgage, wife, kids. i remember i actually sat down and
    calculated how much it was compared to my previous job. (i had a lot of
    time on my hands!). it came to a little over 55%. it lasts for about a
    year. not an advisable way to make money in my opinon. the longer you are
    out of the work force, the harder it is to get back in.

    just get a job, meet some new people and get on with life..

    "=?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=" <> wrote in

    > Just wondering if anybody would care to tell me how unemployment
    > works in their country? Basic rules. I'm curious, because I have been
    > told that Australia has quite an attractive social welfare system.
    > People immigrate here to get benefits.
    >
    > Over here, you receive about AU$300 (about US$240) per fortnight
    > if you are an unemployed single. This amount is pretty much
    > doubled if your spouse is also unemployed. What makes it variable
    > is that you can also claim rent assistance if you are not living in

    your

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army:
    Rowdy Yates, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Rowdy Yates

    Dutch Cheese Guest

    Unemployed - Netherlands:

    Duration of payment is according to the number of years
    you've been employed. Every year is about 2 months of
    payment (approx.). Each month you get about 70% of your
    last earned salary.

    We also had a system, that when this payment is over, you
    get 70% of the minimum salary (which could last for 2
    years). But as i said, that's over: we need to go to
    welfare support directly. Thanks to our prime minister
    Balkenende. Thanks mate! NOT

    <> wrote in

    Dutch Cheese, Feb 14, 2004