Re: OT - Time for the anti-Apple reactionaries to calm down

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Feb 5, 2013.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> It's Java and nothing to with Apple except that without any notice
    > >> they have chosen to lock out Java from certain Apple users.
    > >>
    > >> Not withstanding the latest news release, it looks as though Java will
    > >> continue to have security problems for up to another two years.

    > >However it was the rabid anti-Apple faction which has decried the
    > >action Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate
    > >potential Java security issues.

    > I'm not aware of the 'rabid anti-Apple faction" decrying the action
    > Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate potential
    > of Java security images. I am aware of certain Apple users protesting
    > that without warning Apple has cut them off from access to Java. I
    > can't say I blame them. It would be nice to be told.

    their machines were configured that way.

    anyone who wants apple to not be able to push security fixes can
    disable that function.

    then their java would not be disabled, other security exploits would
    not be patched and their machines would be at risk of being
    compromised.

    that would be incredibly stupid, but someone could do that if they
    wanted to.

    nospam, Feb 5, 2013

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> I'm not aware of the 'rabid anti-Apple faction" decrying the action
    > >> Apple took to protect users of Apple OSX from the immediate potential
    > >> of Java security images. I am aware of certain Apple users protesting
    > >> that without warning Apple has cut them off from access to Java. I
    > >> can't say I blame them. It would be nice to be told.

    > >their machines were configured that way.
    > >
    > >anyone who wants apple to not be able to push security fixes can
    > >disable that function.

    > Now you are pushing your enthusiasm for Apple too far. I've never
    > previously heard of the disabling of a function such as Java being
    > described as a 'security fix' and very few people would expect the
    > term 'security fix' to be defined in this way.

    they would when they find out that java has some serious security
    holes. it also has nothing whatsoever to do with apple. java is from
    oracle.

    > Certainly I would
    > expect a security fix to come by way of updates or patches.

    except there weren't any such patches available. the alternative is to
    let users run with known exploitable code until some unknown point in
    the future when a patch might be released. that's dumb.

    like i said, if you want to be stupid, you can disable the auto-update
    mechanism and run an insecure system. then java won't be disabled.
    however, your credit card might.

    nospam, Feb 5, 2013

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >like i said, if you want to be stupid, you can disable the auto-update
    > >mechanism and run an insecure system. then java won't be disabled.
    > >however, your credit card might.

    > Alternatively, if you are a computer OS manufacturer who is reasonably
    > considerate of your customers you can down load something which tells
    > them they have got a potential problem 'and do you want to disable
    > Java now?' Just killing Java without even a 'by-your-leave' is a bit
    > over the top.

    disabling java affects almost nobody, especially since macs no longer
    ship with java. most people won't notice the difference, but their
    machines will be safer. that's a good thing.

    but i'll say it again, you can easily disable the auto-update mechanism
    if you want to play with fire. it's just one click.

    nospam, Feb 6, 2013