Re: OT - Time for the anti-Apple reactionaries to calm down

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MC, Feb 3, 2013.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2013-02-02 01:33:00 -0800, Alfred Molon <>
    > said:
    >
    > > In article <2013020120340629662-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    > > Savageduck says...
    > > > the rabid anti-Apple faction

    > > Ok... so you are an Apple fan, right?

    > I am a satisfied Apple user, who has had to use Windows machines at
    > work. As a result I have experience with both systems. It just seems
    > that those who complain the loudest about Apple products are those
    > who have never used them.

    I have used Apple computers a lot over the years, mainly for work based
    stuff, but I mainly use PCs now.
    I have no problem with Apple computers as machines. As a machines they
    have improved a lot over the last fifteen years and do, indeed, do the
    job they were built to do...compute. However, they are no better at
    the job than PCs. Same with iPhones. They do what they are built to
    do ... nearly everything :eek:). But then, so do other brands of "smart
    phones", be they Android based or Windows based. Basically, Apple
    products do no more than a most other competing brands can do.

    The reason I have an issue with Apple products is, firstly, that they
    are HEAVILY overpriced for what they are. Some Apple products may look
    nice but nice looks rarely add to functionality and I do not feel I
    should pay a massive premium for something that is "nice" looking.
    Secondly, if I own an Apple product, I want to be able to do with it
    what I like within the realms of its purpose. Apple are gradually
    controlling what you can and cannot do or what you can or cannot access
    using their products. Whether it be that you are only allowed to use
    iTunes to purchase media products or can only use certain networks with
    your iPhone. Even changing the battery on your iPhone will invalidate
    your warranty as it involves opening up the entire device.
    Now I am not complaining about Apple's excellent marketing. After all
    people are, indeed, buying their products. However, people rarely
    realise that they are not only buying machines but they are being
    indoctrinated in "the only way is the Apple way". In most cases, all
    in order to fleece the user of even more money. It's almost cult like.

    If Apple want me to buy their products then they will have to allow me
    to use the device how I want to use it by what ever means I want to use
    it, access the media and other products I want to access and cut their
    prices by 40%. Then, and only then, may I consider one of their
    products.

    MC
    MC, Feb 3, 2013

  2. MC

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, MC <>
    wrote:

    > I have used Apple computers a lot over the years, mainly for work based
    > stuff, but I mainly use PCs now.
    > I have no problem with Apple computers as machines. As a machines they
    > have improved a lot over the last fifteen years and do, indeed, do the
    > job they were built to do...compute. However, they are no better at
    > the job than PCs. Same with iPhones. They do what they are built to
    > do ... nearly everything :eek:). But then, so do other brands of "smart
    > phones", be they Android based or Windows based. Basically, Apple
    > products do no more than a most other competing brands can do.
    >
    > The reason I have an issue with Apple products is, firstly, that they
    > are HEAVILY overpriced for what they are.

    bullshit. this myth has been shattered every single time someone tries
    to push it.

    in fact, pc makers are having a bitch of a time competing with apple's
    prices, notably with the ultrabooks. they even petitioned intel to
    reduce prices of the processors.

    > Some Apple products may look
    > nice but nice looks rarely add to functionality and I do not feel I
    > should pay a massive premium for something that is "nice" looking.

    there is no 'massive premium', but even if there was, some people will
    pay extra for something that's well designed.

    you don't see people bitching about the price of a lexus versus toyota,
    which is the exact same car but with a fancier trim.

    > Secondly, if I own an Apple product, I want to be able to do with it
    > what I like within the realms of its purpose.

    and you can.

    > Apple are gradually
    > controlling what you can and cannot do or what you can or cannot access
    > using their products.

    bullshit. they are doing no such thing.

    > Whether it be that you are only allowed to use
    > iTunes to purchase media products

    more bullshit.

    you can buy your media from amazon, google play, barnes&noble or
    anywhere else. you can even pirate it if you want (but don't do that).

    > or can only use certain networks with
    > your iPhone.

    more bullshit. unlocked iphones work on any carrier, just like an
    unlocked android or windows phone.

    > Even changing the battery on your iPhone will invalidate
    > your warranty as it involves opening up the entire device.

    if the battery fails under warranty, you can have it replaced for free.
    if it fails outside of warranty, there's no warranty to invalidate.

    more importantly, the battery is rated for five years, which is roughly
    *twice* as long as what the typical phone ownership is. people
    generally buy new phones every two years when their contract expires,
    well before the battery will wear out.

    > Now I am not complaining about Apple's excellent marketing. After all
    > people are, indeed, buying their products. However, people rarely
    > realise that they are not only buying machines but they are being
    > indoctrinated in "the only way is the Apple way". In most cases, all
    > in order to fleece the user of even more money. It's almost cult like.

    nonsense.

    > If Apple want me to buy their products then they will have to allow me
    > to use the device how I want to use it by what ever means I want to use
    > it, access the media and other products I want to access and cut their
    > prices by 40%. Then, and only then, may I consider one of their
    > products.

    there are no restrictions on what you do with an apple product, you can
    access any media you want, and their prices are competitive with
    similar products (and in some cases, less).
    nospam, Feb 5, 2013

  3. MC

    David Taylor Guest

    > In article <>, MC <>
    > wrote:

    []
    >> The reason I have an issue with Apple products is, firstly, that they
    >> are HEAVILY overpriced for what they are.

    []

    Quite true, at least in the UK.
    --
    Cheers,