Re: [OT] SIP/VoIP and multiple SIP clients (phones)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Andrew Gabriel, Aug 28, 2011.

  1. In article <>,
    Tim Watts <> writes:
    > 'suse the OT, but there's a pretty good chance someone here will know:

    There is a uk.telecom.voip, copied.

    > Thinking of getting a VoIP service via my ISP (Andrews+Arnold) - and intend
    > to keep my POTS line for emergencies.
    >
    > I have zero experience of VoIP... Can multiple VoIP clients be registered to
    > the same account whereby all ring at once for an incoming call?

    Yes, although the service provider could prevent this, or
    simply not be able to handle multiple registrations for the
    same user.

    > I'm thinking a Siemens Gigaset A580(?) at home (that handles the POTS line
    > too) *and* the Sipgate app on my and SWMBO's mobile phones.
    >
    > It would be truley awesome to have a mobile that can double as a house phone
    > and take calls to "one true number" wherever I am, as long as I have 3G or
    > WIFI access.
    >
    > A&A have a hunting feature where a faling call goes to a fallback number,
    > but that's not really what I'm after.

    A&A allow multiple separate destinations to be called in parallel, and
    without actually registering if they have a fixed IP address.
    However, I do it by bouncing one call through my own SIP server (SER)
    to multiple destinations.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Aug 28, 2011

  2. Andrew Gabriel

    Tim Watts Guest

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim Watts <> writes:
    >> 'suse the OT, but there's a pretty good chance someone here will know:

    > There is a uk.telecom.voip, copied.
    >
    >> Thinking of getting a VoIP service via my ISP (Andrews+Arnold) - and
    >> intend to keep my POTS line for emergencies.
    >>
    >> I have zero experience of VoIP... Can multiple VoIP clients be registered
    >> to the same account whereby all ring at once for an incoming call?

    > Yes, although the service provider could prevent this, or
    > simply not be able to handle multiple registrations for the
    > same user.
    >
    >> I'm thinking a Siemens Gigaset A580(?) at home (that handles the POTS
    >> line too) *and* the Sipgate app on my and SWMBO's mobile phones.
    >>
    >> It would be truley awesome to have a mobile that can double as a house
    >> phone and take calls to "one true number" wherever I am, as long as I
    >> have 3G or WIFI access.
    >>
    >> A&A have a hunting feature where a faling call goes to a fallback number,
    >> but that's not really what I'm after.

    > A&A allow multiple separate destinations to be called in parallel, and
    > without actually registering if they have a fixed IP address.
    > However, I do it by bouncing one call through my own SIP server (SER)
    > to multiple destinations.

    Hmm - that does sound interesting. I like Bob's suggestion that random VoIP
    clients can be treated as house extensions which is exactly the model I'm
    after.

    It might also be an idea to buy 2 new numbers - one for "work" and one for
    home - I'm always giving out my mobile to random reps then having to decide
    who to ignore on a day off.

    No-NAT at home is easy (have lots of IPs) but of course mobile in 3G/WIFI
    mode is most likely to be on a natted connection, or heavily firewalled.

    Reckon I should buy a number and start experimenting! My servers at home are
    not up 100% of the time (more like down 2 days in a year) but A&A's fallback
    option could be used to fall back to my POTS number, so that should be OK.

    Thanks!

    Cheers,

    Tim

    --