Re: OT: PeterN, Tony and others along the East Coast

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Aug 27, 2011.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/26/2011 9:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > I just thought I would check on how those of you in the path of "Irene"
    > are faring with regard to your hurricane preparations.
    > I figure Tony is South of the storm track, but out on Long Island, Peter
    > and a few others seem to be right in the path.
    >
    > I remember in September 1985 I was down in Norwalk Conn. when "Gloria"
    > came through. At that time I decided that the prudent move was to head
    > inland and North. So we headed up to Danbury in pouring rain and wind,
    > and then West across to my old family stomping grounds in upstate NY.
    >
    > In June 1972 I was driving from Binghamton to Syracuse and got swatted
    > by the tail end of "Irene". I found myself driving in a solid wall of
    > water and wind on US 8. I spun out missed other cars and ended up facing
    > South in the North bound lane, that was a close call.

    Thanks,
    We have extra water and canned goods. Our electricity is underground and
    taps off an industrial park owned by some major political people. We
    live in an elevated area so home flooding should not be an issue. IOW
    our hatches are ready to be battened down. Interesting factoid mandatory
    evacuations of over 300,000 people has been ordered. There is no place
    for them to go.

    I had planned to go to a surfing area to shoot the inevitable idiot
    surfers early this morning, but the wave report was not for high waves
    this morning so I went back to sleep. Now, the police are blocking aces.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 27, 2011

  2. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:06:22 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >I had planned to go to a surfing area to shoot the inevitable idiot
    >surfers early this morning, but the wave report was not for high waves
    >this morning so I went back to sleep. Now, the police are blocking aces.

    Son-in-law has been out shooting surfer pix off Jacksonville Beach and
    having good results. He can walk to the beach.

    He picks up a little extra cash in doing so. It's a small community,
    and people know each other. The surfers contact him and want .jpgs of
    their exploits. S-I-L doesn't do it for the money, but he doesn't
    turn it down. Many of his pix are on Facebook and mobile phones.

    Here's a recent one:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos/i-wkNHQ8C/0/X2/i-wkNHQ8C-X2.jpg

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 27, 2011

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/27/2011 11:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-08-27 08:06:22 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 8/26/2011 9:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> I just thought I would check on how those of you in the path of "Irene"
    >>> are faring with regard to your hurricane preparations.
    >>> I figure Tony is South of the storm track, but out on Long Island, Peter
    >>> and a few others seem to be right in the path.
    >>>
    >>> I remember in September 1985 I was down in Norwalk Conn. when "Gloria"
    >>> came through. At that time I decided that the prudent move was to head
    >>> inland and North. So we headed up to Danbury in pouring rain and wind,
    >>> and then West across to my old family stomping grounds in upstate NY.
    >>>
    >>> In June 1972 I was driving from Binghamton to Syracuse and got swatted
    >>> by the tail end of "Irene". I found myself driving in a solid wall of
    >>> water and wind on US 8. I spun out missed other cars and ended up facing
    >>> South in the North bound lane, that was a close call.
    >>>

    >> Thanks,
    >> We have extra water and canned goods. Our electricity is underground
    >> and taps off an industrial park owned by some major political people.
    >> We live in an elevated area so home flooding should not be an issue.
    >> IOW our hatches are ready to be battened down. Interesting factoid
    >> mandatory evacuations of over 300,000 people has been ordered. There
    >> is no place for them to go.

    > Well they better hurry up and get there then. ;-)
    >

    >> I had planned to go to a surfing area to shoot the inevitable idiot
    >> surfers early this morning, but the wave report was not for high waves
    >> this morning so I went back to sleep. Now, the police are blocking aces.

    > For one second there I thought you were going to say you were going
    > surfing.

    thirty years ago I might have.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 27, 2011
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/27/2011 12:43 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:06:22 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I had planned to go to a surfing area to shoot the inevitable idiot
    >> surfers early this morning, but the wave report was not for high waves
    >> this morning so I went back to sleep. Now, the police are blocking aces.

    > Son-in-law has been out shooting surfer pix off Jacksonville Beach and
    > having good results. He can walk to the beach.
    >
    > He picks up a little extra cash in doing so. It's a small community,
    > and people know each other. The surfers contact him and want .jpgs of
    > their exploits. S-I-L doesn't do it for the money, but he doesn't
    > turn it down. Many of his pix are on Facebook and mobile phones.
    >
    > Here's a recent one:
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos/i-wkNHQ8C/0/X2/i-wkNHQ8C-X2.jpg

    Nice image. A couple of the guys in my CC do that, but don't charge. We
    feel that charging would make it work, not a hobby.
    I do admit that I am thinking of getting paid for what I like to do.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 27, 2011
  5. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:07:18 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/27/2011 12:43 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:06:22 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had planned to go to a surfing area to shoot the inevitable idiot
    >>> surfers early this morning, but the wave report was not for high waves
    >>> this morning so I went back to sleep. Now, the police are blocking aces.

    >> Son-in-law has been out shooting surfer pix off Jacksonville Beach and
    >> having good results. He can walk to the beach.
    >>
    >> He picks up a little extra cash in doing so. It's a small community,
    >> and people know each other. The surfers contact him and want .jpgs of
    >> their exploits. S-I-L doesn't do it for the money, but he doesn't
    >> turn it down. Many of his pix are on Facebook and mobile phones.
    >>
    >> Here's a recent one:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos/i-wkNHQ8C/0/X2/i-wkNHQ8C-X2.jpg
    >>

    >Nice image. A couple of the guys in my CC do that, but don't charge. We
    >feel that charging would make it work, not a hobby.
    >I do admit that I am thinking of getting paid for what I like to do.

    S-I-L started charging to discourage requests. As I said, it's a
    small community so the surfers know him, and they'd pester him for the
    file and expect him to find the right image and email it to them.
    Charging $5 slowed down the requests, but now he charges $10 and still
    gets more requests than he wants to bother with. The $10 usually gets
    a sequence of that particular surfer. Beer money.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 27, 2011
  6. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 14:55:52 -0500, Allen <> wrote:
    : On 8/27/2011 11:43 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    : > On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:06:22 -0400, PeterN
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
[...]
    : Tony, your daughter married a very good photographer or at least the
    : luckiest one on the planet! Great picture!

    I agree; it's a fine action shot that any of us would love to have managed to
    get.

    Of course, if he'd submitted it to the Shoot-In, we'd have felt compelled to
    note that the surfer's face wouldn't be so dark if he'd used fill flash, and
    we'd have sniffed at the centering of the subject, asserting that it should
    have been displaced far enough to the left to conform to the "rule of thirds".
    ;^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 27, 2011