Re: OT: London Cops seem to have a $54K time problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Jan 25, 2012.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote:

    >Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>> You made that up, didn't you?

    >> No, I misremembered it. It was Sir Keith Joseph, and his complaint was
    >> that half were below average in mathematics.

    >Link? Preferably not some vague "Many years ago Sir Keith Joseph is reported
    >to have complained about the fact that half the children in UK schools were
    >'below average' in mathematics."

    That story had/has fairly wide currency among teachers but I believe
    there is a lack of any contemporary record in print.

    I would conclude that it is probably apocryphal, springing from
    teachers' deep contempt for anyone with power or influence who dares
    to articulate any criticism of their "profession".

    Wasters, most of them.

    Bruce, Jan 25, 2012

  2. Bruce

    Richard Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>> No, I misremembered it. It was Sir Keith Joseph, and his complaint
    >>> was that half were below average in mathematics.

    >> Link? Preferably not some vague "Many years ago Sir Keith Joseph is
    >> reported to have complained about the fact that half the children in
    >> UK schools were 'below average' in mathematics."

    > That story had/has fairly wide currency among teachers but I believe
    > there is a lack of any contemporary record in print.
    >
    > I would conclude that it is probably apocryphal, springing from
    > teachers' deep contempt for anyone with power or influence who dares
    > to articulate any criticism of their "profession".
    >
    > Wasters, most of them.

    Agreed.

    Richard, Jan 26, 2012

  3. In rec.photo.digital Bruce <> wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote:
    >>Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>> No, I misremembered it. It was Sir Keith Joseph, and his complaint was
    >>> that half were below average in mathematics.

    >>Link? Preferably not some vague "Many years ago Sir Keith Joseph is reported
    >>to have complained about the fact that half the children in UK schools were
    >>'below average' in mathematics."

    > That story had/has fairly wide currency among teachers but I believe
    > there is a lack of any contemporary record in print.

    Since it was long before the web the search would have to be manual. I
    can remember where on the left hand newspaper page I read it, but I
    can't remember which newspaper or the date.

    > I would conclude that it is probably apocryphal, springing from
    > teachers' deep contempt for anyone with power or influence who dares
    > to articulate any criticism of their "profession".

    I guess someone might have misreported a public speech by KJ, but I'm
    sure the wide currency among those old enough to have been reading
    newspapers of the time is simply because a report did appear in
    print. Whether it was an accurate report is another question.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 30, 2012
  4. Bruce

    Richard Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital Bruce <> wrote:

    >>> Link? Preferably not some vague "Many years ago Sir Keith Joseph is
    >>> reported to have complained about the fact that half the children
    >>> in UK schools were 'below average' in mathematics."

    >> That story had/has fairly wide currency among teachers but I believe
    >> there is a lack of any contemporary record in print.

    > Since it was long before the web the search would have to be manual. I
    > can remember where on the left hand newspaper page I read it, but I
    > can't remember which newspaper or the date.
    >
    >> I would conclude that it is probably apocryphal, springing from
    >> teachers' deep contempt for anyone with power or influence who dares
    >> to articulate any criticism of their "profession".

    > I guess someone might have misreported a public speech by KJ, but I'm
    > sure the wide currency among those old enough to have been reading
    > newspapers of the time is simply because a report did appear in
    > print. Whether it was an accurate report is another question.

    Kinda kicks the crap out of your original " newly appointed British Minister
    for Education" false statement. But, hey, don't let little things like
    integrity get in the way of an opportunity to slag someone off.
    ;)

    Richard, Jan 31, 2012
  5. In rec.photo.digital Richard <> wrote:
    > Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>> That story had/has fairly wide currency among teachers but I believe
    >>> there is a lack of any contemporary record in print.

    >> Since it was long before the web the search would have to be manual. I
    >> can remember where on the left hand newspaper page I read it, but I
    >> can't remember which newspaper or the date.
    >>
    >>> I would conclude that it is probably apocryphal, springing from
    >>> teachers' deep contempt for anyone with power or influence who dares
    >>> to articulate any criticism of their "profession".

    >> I guess someone might have misreported a public speech by KJ, but I'm
    >> sure the wide currency among those old enough to have been reading
    >> newspapers of the time is simply because a report did appear in
    >> print. Whether it was an accurate report is another question.

    > Kinda kicks the crap out of your original " newly appointed British Minister
    > for Education" false statement.

    Are you too young to remember? He *was* the newly appointed Minister at
    the time.

    > But, hey, don't let little things like
    > integrity get in the way of an opportunity to slag someone off.
    > ;)

    I see no reason to follow your example.

    --
    Chris Malcolm