Re: OT: London Cops seem to have a $54K time problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pete A, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. Pete A

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-01-21 19:01:07 +0000, Chris Malcolm said:

    > In rec.photo.digital Pete A <> wrote:
    >
    >> President Eisenhower expressed shock when he heard that half of all
    >> Americans are of below-average intelligence.

    > I forget which newly appointed British Minister for Education reported
    > the distressing fact that half of Britain's schoolchildren were below
    > average in reading and arithmetic and promised to do something about
    > it.

    The mind boggles :)

    It's absurd that the decisions makers are unable to understand even the
    simplest of statistics.

    Pete A, Jan 21, 2012

  2. Pete A

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:49:07 +0000, Pete A
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-01-21 19:01:07 +0000, Chris Malcolm said:
    >
    >> In rec.photo.digital Pete A <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> President Eisenhower expressed shock when he heard that half of all
    >>> Americans are of below-average intelligence.

    >> I forget which newly appointed British Minister for Education reported
    >> the distressing fact that half of Britain's schoolchildren were below
    >> average in reading and arithmetic and promised to do something about
    >> it.

    >The mind boggles :)
    >
    >It's absurd that the decisions makers are unable to understand even the
    >simplest of statistics.

    The lack of understanding is not because they don't understand
    statistics. It's because they don't know what that the IQ figure is
    based on variance from a base of 100.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 22, 2012

  3. Pete A

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-01-22 04:33:57 +0000, tony cooper said:

    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:49:07 +0000, Pete A
    > <> wrote:

    >>> I forget which newly appointed British Minister for Education reported
    >>> the distressing fact that half of Britain's schoolchildren were below
    >>> average in reading and arithmetic and promised to do something about
    >>> it.

    >> The mind boggles :)
    >>
    >> It's absurd that the decisions makers are unable to understand even the
    >> simplest of statistics.

    > The lack of understanding is not because they don't understand
    > statistics. It's because they don't know what that the IQ figure is
    > based on variance from a base of 100.

    I think you're being overly generous. In my observations, most policy
    makers and reporters don't even know that "average" encompasses the
    three mathematical terms mean, median, and mode, so it's very unlikely
    they will understand what "average" relates to in any characteristic
    curve that is skewed from a normal distribution (IQ being an example).
    They either use the word "average" through ignorance or for the purpose
    of deception. While I would like to think they are clever enough to use
    it for deception, we won't know for sure until it becomes mandatory for
    them to pass a basic mathematics test before they are accepted into
    their role. That ain't likely to happen in the near future.

    Pete A, Jan 22, 2012