Re: OT/ IT'S A MAN THING

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Jul 3, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:56:44 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

    > It's that time of year again.......
    > Happy 4th
    >

    > About 2 weeks ago, I was looking around the Web for the BIGGEST sky
    > rocket that I could get shipped to me via common freight carrier. I
    > located a fireworks importer in Wisconsin who had this mondo sky
    > rocket--biggest thing I had ever seen--called a SkyDragon. These things
    > are 48 inches tall and are mounted on a 1/2-inch wooden dowel. Pure
    > aerospace engineering.

    Now that's one thing I'm gonna have to get my ass into one of these days
    just for the hell of it. Knowing Wisconsin as I do, it'd be easy for me to
    buy them damn things at the company and find me a hole to shoot them off
    in. Like my uncle's property or one of my cousin's.

    Some years ago I was involved in a particular group and a for a few years
    we worked with a guy who did firework shows in the Cincinnati area. One
    year he decided to try something different out since all the places he had
    shows at were fairly close together and the shows all started at the same
    time. He wanted to set off an aerial bomb to signal "show time!".

    My job was to coordinate via two radio with each location. Every one was
    going by my time on this. Just like NASA, I did a countdown. Voiced the
    last 10 seconds live over the air. Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero",
    I heard this one huge loud boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the
    launch, that would mean that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    Now when this guys fireworks shows, you get a show. You don't get cheap
    thrills where the rockets might get a hundred feet off the ground. His will
    easily go off no less than 500 feet.

    One year I was at one of the sites watching over things. About half an hour
    or so before show time, here comes along a damn blimp of all things. The
    local fire chief was standing beside me.

    "I think it would quite wise of you to contact your dispatcher and advise
    that blimp to move about a mile south of his current location. He is in the
    direct line of fire."
    "Are you serious?"
    "Very."

    The blimp got the message and moved.

    Some years ago, this same guy was also doing a show inside the astrodome.
    They were doing a rehearsal with the gal who was singing the anthem that
    night. They set off an aerial bomb. Uh nope. Ain't gonna do that again.

    Don't ask me how they did a show inside the astrodome. I only heard about
    it.
    richard, Jul 3, 2010

  2. richard wrote:

    > My job was to coordinate via two radio with each location. Every one
    > was going by my time on this. Just like NASA, I did a countdown.
    > Voiced the last 10 seconds live over the air. Two seconds or so after
    > I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud boom! Given the fact I am
    > 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean that was one hell of a
    > damn big aerial bomb.

    <lol> You mis-recalled. It takes ~5 seconds for sound to travel one
    mile. You also wouldn't have seen a flash, unless you were both on some
    pretty good hilltops, unlikely in the Cincinnati area.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 3, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    In article <i0mdl6$4se$-september.org>, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    says...

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> My job was to coordinate via two radio with each location. Every one
    >> was going by my time on this. Just like NASA, I did a countdown.
    >> Voiced the last 10 seconds live over the air. Two seconds or so after
    >> I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud boom! Given the fact I am
    >> 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean that was one hell of a
    >> damn big aerial bomb.

    ><lol> You mis-recalled. It takes ~5 seconds for sound to travel one
    >mile. You also wouldn't have seen a flash, unless you were both on some
    >pretty good hilltops, unlikely in the Cincinnati area.

    That's the way it was bubba.

    Cincinnati is known as the city of seven hills. Just one problem.
    Nobody knows which seven of the thirty hills is being used.
    richard, Jul 3, 2010
  4. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty says...
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> My job was to coordinate via two radio with each location. Every one
    >>> was going by my time on this. Just like NASA, I did a countdown.
    >>> Voiced the last 10 seconds live over the air. Two seconds or so
    >>> after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud boom! Given the
    >>> fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean that was
    >>> one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    >> <lol> You mis-recalled. It takes ~5 seconds for sound to travel one
    >> mile. You also wouldn't have seen a flash, unless you were both on
    >> some pretty good hilltops, unlikely in the Cincinnati area.

    > That's the way it was bubba.
    >
    > Cincinnati is known as the city of seven hills. Just one problem.
    > Nobody knows which seven of the thirty hills is being used.

    Just one problem. You might have fun at this page (or not):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon
    (I doubt you'll understand any of it.)

    The Rochester, NY area has some hills as well. We've been, say, on top
    of the Fairport hill and watched fireworks from Gates and Chili (other
    suburbs) that are close to 20 miles away. They cannot be heard. Not even
    the super-bangers.

    I've been in Cincinnati several times. There are hills high enough to
    qualify for what you described, same as Rochester. If you actually could
    have *heard* it, that firework was probably nuclear.

    2 seconds != 20 miles

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 3, 2010
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    > in his head.

    Lotsa room to rattle around in there... ;-)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 3, 2010
  6. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:

    > Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud boom!
    > Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean that
    > was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
    five seconds?

    Apparently not.

    Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
    fucking speed.

    Aardvark, Jul 4, 2010
  7. richard

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
    >
    >> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud boom!
    >> Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean that
    >> was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    > Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
    > five seconds?
    >
    > Apparently not.
    >
    > Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
    > fucking speed.

    I don't know whether you remember it, but some time ago I was reading
    this NG and noticed that the irony meter on the bookshelf above my desk
    started to go berserk each time a post was received from little dicky
    bullis, or Weirdo Scotty.

    My theory is that those two, and some others actually exist in an
    alternative reality, and a small, but detectable amount of particles are
    released when information passes between these realities. It is
    still early days, but I am hoping that by passing the emitted particles
    through a do'h-transformer, I may be able to generate meaningful amounts
    of power to feed into the grid.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jul 4, 2010
  8. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:08:13 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
    >>> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would
    >>> mean that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    >> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
    >> five seconds?
    >>
    >> Apparently not.
    >>
    >> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
    >> fucking speed.
    >>

    > I don't know whether you remember it, but some time ago I was reading
    > this NG and noticed that the irony meter on the bookshelf above my desk
    > started to go berserk each time a post was received from little dicky
    > bullis, or Weirdo Scotty.
    >
    > My theory is that those two, and some others actually exist in an
    > alternative reality, and a small, but detectable amount of particles are
    > released when information passes between these realities. It is
    > still early days, but I am hoping that by passing the emitted particles
    > through a do'h-transformer, I may be able to generate meaningful amounts
    > of power to feed into the grid.

    Sounds like a reasonable, and highly scientific plan, mate.

    Aardvark, Jul 4, 2010
  9. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 06:43:16 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > 2 seconds != 20 miles

    LOL

    Aardvark, Jul 4, 2010
  10. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 06:43:16 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > 2 seconds != 20 miles

    LOL

    Aardvark, Jul 4, 2010
  11. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:21:03 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >> Aardvark wrote:

    >> boom!

    >> that
    >>>
    >>> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile

    >> every
    >>> five seconds?
    >>>
    >>> Apparently not.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the

    >> same
    >>> fucking speed.
    >>>

    >> I don't know whether you remember it, but some time ago I was reading
    >> this NG and noticed that the irony meter on the bookshelf above my desk
    >> started to go berserk each time a post was received from little dicky
    >> bullis, or Weirdo Scotty.
    >>
    >> My theory is that those two, and some others actually exist in an
    >> alternative reality, and a small, but detectable amount of particles
    >> are
    >> released when information passes between these realities. It is
    >> still early days, but I am hoping that by passing the emitted particles
    >> through a do'h-transformer, I may be able to generate meaningful
    >> amounts
    >> of power to feed into the grid.
    >>

    > Yu might wanna consider this. And WHY I remember stuf like this s beyond
    > me:
    > http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-airpressure.htm Indicates the
    > deciding variable is *temperature*...whereas I tht it ws
    > humidity:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound Which they describe
    > as "mean molecular weight". So I would assume that different gasses
    > transmit sound at differing rates...this pretty much susses it all out:
    > http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-174125.html
    >
    > HTH

    The more dense the medium, the faster the speed of sound through that
    medium. Common knowledge, mate.

    Aardvark, Jul 5, 2010
  12. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
    >
    >> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
    >> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean
    >> that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    > Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
    > five seconds?
    >
    > Apparently not.
    >
    > Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
    > fucking speed.

    Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I didn't
    read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is the faster
    it travels?

    The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density of
    the material the sound is transmitted through.
    Meat Plow, Jul 5, 2010
  13. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ÇʇoɹÊ:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
    >>> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would
    >>> mean that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

    >> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
    >> five seconds?
    >>
    >> Apparently not.
    >>
    >> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
    >> fucking speed.

    > Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I didn't
    > read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is the faster
    > it travels?
    >
    > The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density of
    > the material the sound is transmitted through.

    Well, I didn't want to confuse him by bringing up any of that confusing
    scientific stuff.

    I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
    temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
    over his head at Mach 1.

    Aardvark, Jul 5, 2010
  14. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:41:48 +0000, Aardvark ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile
    >>> every five seconds?
    >>>
    >>> Apparently not.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
    >>> fucking speed.

    >> Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I
    >> didn't read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is
    >> the faster it travels?
    >>
    >> The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density
    >> of the material the sound is transmitted through.

    > Well, I didn't want to confuse him by bringing up any of that confusing
    > scientific stuff.

    I guess he never learned as a child how to determine the approximate
    distance of lightning strikes by counting 1-1000 2-1000 3-1000 and so on
    until you hear the thunder clap. If you get up to 5, the strike was
    around a mile away. Shit I remember this way back in my single-digit
    years.

    > I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
    > temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
    > over his head at Mach 1.

    Yeah what I now have gleaned from this thread he was claiming
    he saw a firework burst, counted to 2 and heard the sound of the explosion
    even though he was 20 miles away. So he said that was one hell of a blast
    because he heard it that quick. Someone who thinking along those lines
    really is St00pid. Maybe that's where he got his nick RtS yah think? :)
    Meat Plow, Jul 6, 2010
  15. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:41:51 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:41:48 +0000, Aardvark ÇʇoɹÊ:
    >
    >> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ÇʇoɹÊ:

    >>> Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I
    >>> didn't read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is
    >>> the faster it travels?
    >>>
    >>> The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density
    >>> of the material the sound is transmitted through.

    >> Well, I didn't want to confuse him by bringing up any of that confusing
    >> scientific stuff.

    > I guess he never learned as a child how to determine the approximate
    > distance of lightning strikes by counting 1-1000 2-1000 3-1000 and so on
    > until you hear the thunder clap. If you get up to 5, the strike was
    > around a mile away. Shit I remember this way back in my single-digit
    > years.
    >
    >> I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
    >> temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
    >> over his head at Mach 1.

    > Yeah what I now have gleaned from this thread he was claiming he saw a
    > firework burst, counted to 2 and heard the sound of the explosion even
    > though he was 20 miles away. So he said that was one hell of a blast
    > because he heard it that quick. Someone who thinking along those lines
    > really is St00pid. Maybe that's where he got his nick RtS yah think? :)

    One-hippopotamus, two-hippopotamus etc.

    Does RtS even know what hippopotami are?

    Aardvark, Jul 7, 2010
  16. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 08:40:27 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
    >> temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
    >> over his head at Mach 1.
    >>

    > You have a very wry sense of humor.

    At least someone appreciates it. I only wish I could 'Mike Yetto' things.
    That'd be super cool.

    Aardvark, Jul 7, 2010