Re: OT: Interesting discovery

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Michael D. Alligood, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST
    newsgroup. See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 17, 2007

  2. Did her video card have VGA and DVI on it? or just DVI? Where was the VGA
    connection located?

    Keith Chilton, Mar 17, 2007

  3. I assume you updated the DVI cards drivers..........

    Maybe the connection for the DVI card had a cable loose or the graphics card
    Fan was clogged with dirt or something physical like that. Or maybe the DVI
    just blew up and had fried circuits.. lol I'm not sure on that one

    Keith Chilton, Mar 17, 2007
  4. The card had both DVI and VGA. I switched out the DVI cable from the PC
    to the monitor. Still BSoD/auto reboot. It just would not boot while
    plugged into the DVI port. Only the VGA.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Michael D. Alligood

    Jeff Guest

    You probably should try an older graphic card driver. I bet on the new
    install you are using the newest drivers.

    Jeff, Mar 18, 2007
  6. I used the original OEM driver disks that came with the PC. And when I
    did the Microsoft Updates, I always make sure not to download the
    optional hardware updates, just the critical updates. It really is a
    mystery.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 18, 2007
  7. There are duds in everything you buy and computers are no exception. It
    wouldn't suprise me if the VGA part of the card that was bought kicked the
    bucket too in the near future. I wonder how this card would act in a
    different computer's motherboard and monitor hooked up to it? If it acted
    identically, it's the card and it should be returned and refunded to the
    customer as being sold to the customer defective.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 18, 2007
  8. Michael D. Alligood

    Jeff Guest

    Then download and use some newer drivers. Something isn't the same.
    You may want to reseat the graphics card too. Maybe you have some classic
    "chip creep".

    Jeff, Mar 18, 2007
  9. Oh man this is a 5 year old Gateway running Windows XP. It is a play
    around computer that the family uses. The ironic part of this whole
    thing is that it worked prior to the reload. I used the OEM CD and
    driver disks that originally came with the computer. The monitor is the
    same that was purchased with the computer. The flat panel monitor itself
    has two ports, DVI and VGA. When plugged in the computer with DVI; BSoD.
    VGA, works perfectly.

    It is not a big deal and I am not trying to find a solution because the
    client does not care one bit. I thought I would share and try to make
    sense of the issue.

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 18, 2007
  10. I performed all your suggestions. Reset the card and downloaded the
    latest drivers. When the newly installed drivers did not work, I rolled
    back to the original drivers. :)

    It just likes VGA I guess. But I have never seen a computer BSoD when
    you plug a monitor into it! Well just the DVI port anyway. But still,
    never seen it in 13 years.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 18, 2007
  11. Michael D. Alligood

    Lasher Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood" <> wrote in

    > WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST
    > newsgroup. See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!

    Too much drinking is bad for you. Just you. Not me.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50

    Lasher, Mar 18, 2007
  12. Michael D. Alligood

    Jeff Guest

    wow. That is strange. I have never seen that either.

    Jeff, Mar 18, 2007
  13. Michael D. Alligood

    Lasher Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > I assume you updated the DVI cards drivers..........

    Update drivers? I thought NASCAR did that for us.

    > Maybe the connection for the DVI card had a cable loose or the
    > graphics card Fan was clogged with dirt or something physical like
    > that.

    What, are you taking this V/C mud riding in a 4x4? You should put a better
    suspension on it and raise it about 15' off the ground so you don't get
    dirt in your engine.

    > Or maybe the DVI just blew up and had fried circuits..

    That was a great movie. If you watched it, maybe your V/C would work.

    > lol I'm not sure on that one

    I'm sure on it, 100%. I think that maybe, just maybe you could put all the
    magic blue smoke back into it and make a time machine too while you're at
    it! 88 MPH! Who would have thought!? Then you could transport back to
    1997 and be all "WOW! I HAVE A DVI CARD THAT DOESN'T WORK!".

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50

    Lasher, Mar 18, 2007
  14. Lasher! Where in the net have you been?!? It has been awhile... and
    quiet... and peaceful... :)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 18, 2007
  15. If you were actively trying to solve the problem, you could possibly check
    out your Stop Error (BSOD) by checking the memory dumps out (System
    Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings ) I wonder if that
    would help isolate the problem any.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 19, 2007
  16. The stop message is ambiguous at best. I have seen this BSoD for
    numerous of issues. 0x0000007e.

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 19, 2007
  17. Michael D. Alligood

    Lasher Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > If you were actively trying to solve the problem, you could possibly
    > check out your Stop Error (BSOD) by checking the memory dumps out
    > (System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings ) I
    > wonder if that would help isolate the problem any.

    >> Oh man this is a 5 year old Gateway running Windows XP. It is a play
    >> around computer that the family uses. The ironic part of this whole
    >> thing is that it worked prior to the reload. I used the OEM CD and
    >> driver disks that originally came with the computer. The monitor is
    >> the same that was purchased with the computer. The flat panel monitor
    >> itself has two ports, DVI and VGA. When plugged in the computer with
    >> DVI; BSoD. VGA, works perfectly.
    >>
    >> It is not a big deal and I am not trying to find a solution because
    >> the client does not care one bit. I thought I would share and try to
    >> make sense of the issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael D. Alligood
    >> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
    >> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
    >> CIW Certified Instructor
    >>
    >> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
    >>

    >> "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> There are duds in everything you buy and computers are no exception.
    >>> It wouldn't suprise me if the VGA part of the card that was bought
    >>> kicked the
    >>> bucket too in the near future. I wonder how this card would act in a
    >>> different computer's motherboard and monitor hooked up to it? If it
    >>> acted identically, it's the card and it should be returned and
    >>> refunded to the customer as being sold to the customer defective.
    >>>
    >>> "Michael D. Alligood" <> wrote in message

    Have you checked the BIOS?

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50

    Lasher, Mar 19, 2007
  18. Yeah. As I said the computer is about 5 years old and the BIOS that
    Gateway went with did not offer much. The more I think about it, I
    believe the DVI port is bad. Although my client does not care DVI or
    VGA, I am going to replace the video card with a similar one and try the
    DVI port on the new card. I just thought it odd that plugging a monitor
    into a DVI port would cause it to BSoD.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 19, 2007
  19. Michael D. Alligood

    Jeff Guest

    Maybe the power supply is starting to fail. Have you added a DVD player or
    anything else new? I think the card isn't getting enough power when using
    the DVI port. I know you are planning on replacing the card but you might
    want to check the PS first.

    Jeff, Mar 19, 2007
  20. Jeff could be on the right track with the power supply ... It may be losing
    it's ability to output Watts (digital i am guessing takes more electricical
    current than analog) This thought came to me also yesterday but I failed to
    put it out there on the table.

    --
    Keith Chilton - MCDST,MCP
    Data Services Technician

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 19, 2007