Re: OT: Extension lead safety

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carnations, Aug 23, 2009.

  1. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:00:40 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

    > Is it ok to plug a 2400W heater into the wall socket through one of
    > these?
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/M7552

    Yes, but not for extended periods of time. Altho' they are rated at 10A, cables with cores of less than 1.5mm in cross
    section do get noticeably warm when used at rated maximum load for extended periods of time.

    Carnations, Aug 23, 2009

  2. Carnations

    EMB Guest

    ofn01 wrote:

    > What is extended periods of time? Currently it is only used for one hour at
    > a time (once in the morning/once in the evening). But possibly soon it may
    > need to be used at say half load (1200W) for 6 hours at a stretch...
    >
    > I looked at the cable on the heater itself (oil fin - evantair from the
    > warehouse) and it reckons it has 3x1.0mm squared.

    According to my cable calculator, 10A on 1mm² cable will not lead to a
    conductor temperature above 48 degrees so long as the cable is lying on
    a flat surface and not covered. This is less than the 70 degree
    temperature rating of the PVC insulation so all should be well.

    Were it me using the heater I'd use a cable with 1.5mm² conductors.

    EMB, Aug 23, 2009

  3. Carnations

    EMB Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > Unsafe answer. Please get advice from the Fire Safety Officer at your
    > nearest fire station. Many property fires are caused every year by just
    > such dangerous misuse of electrical extension cords.

    Nic, 1mm² cable is within rated spec at up to 16A. 'Nuff said.

    EMB, Aug 23, 2009
  4. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:02:34 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >> Yes, but not for extended periods of time. Altho' they are rated at
    >> 10A, cables with cores of less than 1.5mm in cross section do get
    >> noticeably warm when used at rated maximum load for extended periods of
    >> time.

    > Unsafe answer. Please get advice from the Fire Safety Officer at your
    > nearest fire station. Many property fires are caused every year by just
    > such dangerous misuse of electrical extension cords.

    The cable is rated at 10A x 240V.

    My own view is that I would not use it for extended periods because it would get warm.

    But the cable is rated at 10A x 240V.

    Perhaps what you're saying is that the cable's published rating is inaccurate and that it should be
    derated.

    Carnations, Aug 23, 2009
  5. Carnations

    EMB Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:15:02 +1200, EMB <> wrote in
    >
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>> Unsafe answer. Please get advice from the Fire Safety Officer at your
    >>> nearest fire station. Many property fires are caused every year by just
    >>> such dangerous misuse of electrical extension cords.
    >>>

    >> Nic, 1mm² cable is within rated spec at up to 16A. 'Nuff said.

    > As you wish. I'm bloody glad it's not MY house it's being used in.

    As I said elsewhere in this thread, I'd use a 1.5mm² extension cable too.

    EMB, Aug 23, 2009
  6. On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 22:55:42 +1200, EMB <> wrote in

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:15:02 +1200, EMB <> wrote in

    >>> Nic, 1mm² cable is within rated spec at up to 16A. 'Nuff said.

    >> As you wish. I'm bloody glad it's not MY house it's being used in.
    >>

    > As I said elsewhere in this thread, I'd use a 1.5mm² extension cable too.

    Did you get my E-Mail last night, EMB?

    --
    - Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 23, 2009