Re: OT: Evaporative coolers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mary Hanna, Dec 5, 2009.

  1. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 22:10:19 +1300, "ofn01" <> wrote:

    >Are these things any good?
    >
    >http://www.mitre10.co.nz/current_ca...oler_173089.cfm?dept=16&subdept=0&sid=3&rid=4
    >
    >We have a mitsubishi heatpump which does a fantastic job of cooling in the
    >summer but for the bedroom all we have is a fan which does the job ok - but
    >we need wonder if this might do a better job.

    From my past experience No good at all, Lots of very Damp Air and spent
    most of the time filling them up, the Boss got very fed up and had 2 heat
    pumps installed..

    Mary Hanna, Dec 5, 2009

  2. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:59:10 +1300, "ofn01" <> wrote:

    >"Mary Hanna" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 22:10:19 +1300, "ofn01" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are these things any good?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.mitre10.co.nz/current_ca...oler_173089.cfm?dept=16&subdept=0&sid=3&rid=4
    >>>
    >>>We have a mitsubishi heatpump which does a fantastic job of cooling in the
    >>>summer but for the bedroom all we have is a fan which does the job ok -
    >>>but
    >>>we need wonder if this might do a better job.
    >>>

    >> From my past experience No good at all, Lots of very Damp Air and
    >> spent
    >> most of the time filling them up, the Boss got very fed up and had 2 heat
    >> pumps installed..
    >>

    >THanks for that - I did some more research and it definitely seems like they
    >only work well in very dry areas (like certain parts of Australia for
    >instance)

    You can get Portable Air conditioners as I had one, have a look in the
    Warehouse, they have a large hole in the back to feed the hot air outside via
    a flexible pipe

    Mary Hanna, Dec 6, 2009

  3. Mary Hanna

    Me Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:22:14 +1300, Mary Hanna wrote:
    >
    >> You can get Portable Air conditioners as I had one, have a look in the
    >> Warehouse, they have a large hole in the back to feed the hot air
    >> outside via a flexible pipe

    > They're ok, but only effective for 1 or 2 rooms

    Here's an alternative / neater solution:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Heating-cooling/Other/auction-258121532.htm
    That price is pretty good. You can install it yourself for free, so the
    cost is only a bit more than just the cost of getting a normal heat pump
    installed. They are very quiet operation on low/med fan setting, a bit
    noisier on high, and fairly unobtrusive compared to many heat pump
    indoor units.
    I'd ask about the warranty, as Delonghi NZ warranty for them is 5 years,
    not 12 months as this seller states.

    There are larger / inverter models made as well, but at a higher price.

    Me, Dec 7, 2009
  4. Mary Hanna

    EMB Guest

    Me wrote:

    > Here's an alternative / neater solution:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Heating-cooling/Other/auction-258121532.htm
    >
    > That price is pretty good. You can install it yourself for free, so the
    > cost is only a bit more than just the cost of getting a normal heat pump
    > installed. They are very quiet operation on low/med fan setting, a bit
    > noisier on high, and fairly unobtrusive compared to many heat pump
    > indoor units.
    > I'd ask about the warranty, as Delonghi NZ warranty for them is 5 years,
    > not 12 months as this seller states.

    From his name, location & listings I'm assuming that auction is being
    run by Darren from Total Appliances. Read what has been posted on
    NoCowboys (link below) and then find somewhere else to make your purchase.

    http://www.nocowboys.co.nz/businesses/total-appliances/

    EMB, Dec 7, 2009
  5. Mary Hanna

    Me Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Me wrote:
    >>>

    >> Here's an alternative / neater solution:
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Heating-cooling/Other/auction-258121532.htm
    >>
    >> That price is pretty good. You can install it yourself for free, so
    >> the cost is only a bit more than just the cost of getting a normal
    >> heat pump installed. They are very quiet operation on low/med fan
    >> setting, a bit noisier on high, and fairly unobtrusive compared to
    >> many heat pump indoor units.
    >> I'd ask about the warranty, as Delonghi NZ warranty for them is 5
    >> years, not 12 months as this seller states.

    > From his name, location & listings I'm assuming that auction is being
    > run by Darren from Total Appliances. Read what has been posted on
    > NoCowboys (link below) and then find somewhere else to make your purchase.
    >
    > http://www.nocowboys.co.nz/businesses/total-appliances/

    Hmmmm.... doesn't look too flash.
    OTOH that auction allows for pick-up, and I think $1,000 would be a very
    good price, so cash on pickup if you were in Akl wouldn't be too bad -
    if the manufacturer's 5 year warranty applied. I think Harvey Norman
    and Mitre 10 may stock these units - or can get them.

    Me, Dec 7, 2009