Re: OT -- Desktop or Laptop ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Aug 11, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    m. wrote:
    > I have a desktop that is nearly 8 years old.

    I have one of those.

    > It's
    > starting to groan & rumble even when idling.

    I have computers with hardware problems. Whenever one gets into too bad
    condition that it won't perform satisfactorily without repair, it gets
    disassembled and salvaged for any parts worth keeping; which usually
    isn't much for something like an 8 y/o machine. You might be able to
    use the cdrom for something; the floppy might come in handy if your
    next box is a cheap one and doesn't have a floppy.

    > It's time for a new pc.

    Certainly it isn't likely to be worth fixing the 8 y/o, but groaning and
    rumbling is a curious symptom. I wonder if you are talking about a hdd
    problem or something else as simple as a case/fan vibration rattle.
    There's a lot of difference between a 'simple' vibration and a hdd that
    is getting ready to die.

    > I don't play games so I don't need high-end graphics or sound or any
    > other type of specialization.

    Then you should be able to buy a very cheap computer. My local Fry's
    had a low performance one on sale the other day for less than $200.
    With keyboard, mouse, & speakers.

    > I just need a solid pc for emailing, surfing, and word-processing.

    > have always bought a desktop, but that is because when I was in the
    > market the cost of a laptop was prohibitive. Now, things are
    > different; prices are more reasonable. But this makes choosing even
    > more difficult since there are so many more possibilities.

    There is still a big difference between a LT and a DT in terms of how
    much hardware you get for how many dollars.

    > I'm checking out the reviews on the pc review sites such as Cnet,

    and
    > I'm looking at the recommendations from the online magazines such as

    PC
    > Mag & PC World. I'm asking you all here because I think the best

    place
    > for a recommendation is from real people. So.......
    >
    > Which kind of pc platform do you all prefer?

    Desktops. The only advantage a LT has is its portability, which comes
    at a big price in terms of ergonomics, upgradability, repairability,
    breakability, and missing functions and hardware deficiencies compared
    to a similarly priced DT. If you *must* be portable, then you must have
    a LT, otherwise you are paying a price for portability you don't need.

    > Have you used mostly
    > Intel or AMD?

    Everything I've bought, I've bought on sale and it has always been some
    kind of AMD with variable kinds of support chips. I don't have anything
    against Intel, it just hasn't worked out that way for me for getting a
    dynamite price.

    > I'm especially interested in hearing from any AMD
    > owners -- I've always bought Intel, but I've heard that a comparable
    > in power AMD is more efficient than the Intel. But the best source

    of
    > the truth of that is from an owner.

    If you are shopping for price and on-sale items, you will always be
    buying something which is starting to be 'over the hill'. The mfr is
    trying to clear out their inventory.

    > So -- If you have a preference or any other type of comment, please
    > post.

    So called 'netbooks' which are like little laptops without any kind of
    optical drive are economically priced, but they have disadvantages
    compared to both desktops and laptops; and also advantages over them.
    Most of the people who buy netbooks also have an operational LT or DT.

    The sub-$200 machine I mentioned was more like a desktop sized 'net
    top' -- that is, with low performing Atom cpu like a nettop, but in a
    relatively normal sized micro-ATX case and normal sized hdd.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 11, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    nut Guest

    m. wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hate laptops except those times when I need a computer somewhere
    >>> away from the home/office. Their keyboards are tiny, the screen is
    >>> nearly unreadable and that fucking touchpad I wouldn't wish on a
    >>> glurd. If you *need* a laptop there's no contest. If you're not
    >>> sure, get a desktop.

    >> Oops, I meant to reply to the OP, I should have contextualized and
    >> trimmed my response and bottom posted it for your edification.

    > Roger -- That's OK by me. I thank you for replying and I did see
    > your comment on the other post. :)
    >
    > Your post, along with Mike's, is driving home the point that one
    > would do better with a desktop. I have friends who have laptops. I
    > didn't ask them this question because they're almost fanatical about
    > them, already w/o asking. I guess the convenience is great, but i
    > suspect it's the novelty of having all that computing power in a
    > little rectangular case.
    >
    > The primary reason I was considering getting one is the mobility it
    > would allow. I have some physical issues that make it hard to sit at
    > a desk. But given what you all have said about the limits of the
    > hardware and the limits of actually using one ('unreadable screen",
    > difficult to use keyboard and touchpad), it sounds like I'd do
    > better with a desktop.
    >
    > So, thanks very much for the help.
    >
    > Take care.
    > m.

    Check out the HP 550 ... entry level laptop

    Google "HP 550 review", all laptops have their faults, but i don't think
    you'll notice any of the 550's... it's a pretty solid laptop for the price.
    nut, Aug 11, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    m. wrote:

    > The portability is appealing; I have some physical issues that might

    be
    > eased by being able to recline, for example, while surfing. But

    given
    > the trade-offs that you have highlighted, the price of ease may be

    too
    > high.

    There are plenty more ways to recline with a desktop's keyboard and a
    flatscreen than with a LT which has everything all attached to each
    other.

    > That was my understanding. I'm not enough of a techie to be an owner

    of
    > more than one pc (of any kind). And for the sake of safety, I need

    an
    > optical R-RW drive for backing up my work (business letters, email,
    > etc.).

    There are no current so-called netbooks with any kind of optical drive.
    By current definition netbooks are 'optical-less'. I like the idea of a
    lighter more portable LT, but I didn't like the idea of no optical, so
    when I needed a LT I bought one (on sale of course) which was more like
    a cross between a netbook and a LT. It was small and light, but had a
    fullsized keyboard and an optical drive. The screen is 14". 12
    would've been OK with me if I could also have a fullsize keyboard and be
    economical and lightweight too.

    > <sigh> It looks like I'll probably be getting a desktop.

    If you are the kind of person who likes to maintain hardware and open
    their case and upgrade as you described earlier, the DT is a much better
    decision. Whatever physical makes you want to recline and compute can
    be done with a DT and the right kind of support for the flatscreen and
    the keyboard.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 11, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    M.L. Guest

    >The primary reason I was considering getting one is the mobility it would
    >allow. I have some physical issues that make it hard to sit at a desk.
    >But given what you all have said about the limits of the hardware and the
    >limits of actually using one ('unreadable screen", difficult to use
    >keyboard and touchpad), it sounds like I'd do better with a desktop.

    Today's laptops can have 17" screens, and full-sized keyboards. If
    you like, they allow you to attach a mouse and a different keyboard
    and monitor. They often come packed with multimedia devices that cost
    extra on a desktop, such as a webcam, microphone, media card readers
    and a PC Card slot for expansion.
    M.L., Aug 11, 2009
  5. Mike Easter

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 02:19:05 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >m. wrote:
    >
    >> The primary reason I was considering getting one is the mobility it would
    >> allow. I have some physical issues that make it hard to sit at a desk.
    >> But given what you all have said about the limits of the hardware and the
    >> limits of actually using one ('unreadable screen", difficult to use
    >> keyboard and touchpad), it sounds like I'd do better with a desktop.

    >You are on precisely the right track. Laptops are "Cool" and you can
    >open them up and start typing anywhere. But if you are serious about
    >getting on the net and doing some work, laptops are not a good replacement.

    They're handy to grab and take to the basement when the tornado sirens go off.

    --
    But over all things brooding slept
    The quiet sense of something lost.
    Mara, Aug 11, 2009
  6. Mike Easter

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:26:13 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>> You are on precisely the right track. Laptops are "Cool" and you can
    >>> open them up and start typing anywhere. But if you are serious about
    >>> getting on the net and doing some work, laptops are not a good replacement.

    >> They're handy to grab and take to the basement when the tornado sirens go off.

    >And with some salsa and chips, they taste pretty good too.

    I prefer a toaster with my salsa and chips, thanks.

    >Tequila is optional, but presumed.

    No way. See sig.

    --
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any
    other human invention in human history ... with the possible
    Mara, Aug 11, 2009
  7. Mike Easter

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:38:06 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> No way. See sig.

    >But we could make such beautiful mistakes together.

    Ok. Bring two guns.

    Mara, Aug 11, 2009
  8. Above the shrieking & FUDding of the trolls,The Old Sourdough was heard
    to say:

    > Rôgêr mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> Mara wrote:

    >>> They're handy to grab and take to the basement when the tornado
    >>>sirens go off.

    >> And with some salsa and chips, they taste pretty good too.

    > And don't forget the ice cold BEER!!11!!

    As if!!

    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| _____
    |==ASCII BEER Inc = |__|, \_____

    --