Re: OT: Delta stops using India call centers: report

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Fujikawa Yamamoto, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. On 18 Apr 2009, Twitchell <> posted some

    > In article <>, edonline
    > says...
    >>
    >>http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE53H1PN20090418?feedT
    >>ype=RSS&feedName=domesticNews
    >>
    >>Delta stops using India call centers: report
    >>Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19pm EDT
    >>
    >>CHICAGO (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc has stopped using India-based
    >>call centers to handle sales and reservations, the Wall Street Journal
    >>reported on Saturday.
    >>
    >>The move makes the airline the latest U.S. company to decide the cost
    >>benefits of directing calls offshore are outweighed by backlash from
    >>costumers, the newspaper said in a story on its website.
    >>
    >>Delta said it stopped routing calls to India-based call centers over
    >>the first three months of the year. Customers had complained they had
    >>trouble communicating with Indian agents, the newspaper said.
    >>
    >>"The customer acceptance of call centers in foreign countries is low,"
    >>Richard Anderson, Delta's chief executive, said in a recorded message
    >>to employees, according to the newspaper. "Our customers are not shy
    >>about letting us have that feedback."
    >>
    >>Earlier this month, SLM Corp the student loan company commonly known
    >>as Sallie Mae, said it plans to move its overseas operations back to
    >>the United States, pulling jobs from India, Mexico and the
    >>Philippines.
    >>
    >>Delta isn't pulling back from the use of all foreign call centers. It
    >>will keep some Jamaica and South Africa centers, which haven't
    >>generated such vociferous complaints, the newspaper said.
    >>
    >>A Delta spokesman could not be reached for comment on the story.

    > I once worked IT Help Desk for a division of GE. I was hired as a
    > contractor and lasted two years. The company decided to route the help
    > desk calls to India and we had the weird circumstance of training our
    > replacements. Amazingly, GE flew our Indian replacements to CA and
    > they just sat next to us learning the job. When the training was
    > done, eighteen of us (fulltime and contractor alike) were let go.
    >
    > It's nice to see the flow of outsourced jobs reversed in this example.
    >
    > twitch

    I have to deal with it all the time, mostly on T&M calls in support of
    other companies. The meter starts running when I hit the road. If I
    have to sit on a site for 4 hours when I'm done, waiting for some Indian
    IT support center to get off their butts and check things out, the rate
    stays the same. Past 5, it doubles and there is no mercy rule.

    Fujikawa Yamamoto, Apr 24, 2009