Re: [OT] Computers and the end of paper

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Mar 16, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    > http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).

    Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Mar 16, 2013

  2. PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 3/14/2013 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    >> http://vimeo.com/61275290 (40 sec / about 2.4 MB).

    > Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

    You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
    backside with water?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 16, 2013

  3. PeterN

    Rob Guest

    On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

    >> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
    >> backside with water?
    >>

    > What's new about them"

    Yep Japanese have used them for years

    Rob, Mar 17, 2013
  4. PeterN

    notbob Guest

    On 2013-03-17, Rob <> wrote:
    > On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
    >>> backside with water?
    >>>

    >> What's new about them"
    >>

    > Yep Japanese have used them for years

    Europeans, for centuries. Duh.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

    nb

    notbob, Mar 17, 2013
  5. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> Proving there is no such thing as a paper free office.

    >>You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your
    >>backside with water?

    > What's new about them"

    According to Wikipedia (yes, a not too reliable source) flush
    toilets have been proven existent in the 26th century BCE ...

    Bidets (same source, different page) are claimed to have
    been invented in the late 17th century CE and the first known
    written reference would be from 1710 CE, which is ... a "few"
    centuries newer.

    These 2 inventions have been combined, presumeably after
    the bidet moved from sitting next to the chamberpot next to
    the interior toilet, but I assume one would have to dry
    oneself with either paper or tower or similar.

    Washlets (the high tech version, with dryer, so they're indeed
    paperless) (same source, different pages) were apparently
    first produced commercially in 1980 in Japan, with near
    50% of the households having one in 2002 (making them more
    common than computers)). It seems South Korea also have them.
    (Maybe that's why North Korea has atomic constipation: low tech
    toilets.) Apparently in practice they're used with paper, with
    paper&water or just with water depending on the individual user.

    We can surely say that late 20th century CE is pretty new
    compared to 26th century BCE.

    And to much of the rest of the world, they're new as in "have
    just recently heard of their existence" --- if at all.

    Possibly PeterN has heard of them, but surely didn't think
    of them when he wrote his "Proving". After all, we know best
    what we are used to, and that clip shows a lot of cultural bias.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 17, 2013
  6. PeterN

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:11:22 PM UTC, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >>You've not yet heard of these new toilets that clean your

    > >>backside with water?

    > > What's new about them"

    > According to Wikipedia (yes, a not too reliable source) flush
    >
    > toilets have been proven existent in the 26th century BCE ...

    year right, 26th century before christ ! JFC that is early.
    Someones screwed up there.

    > Bidets (same source, different page) are claimed to have
    >
    > been invented in the late 17th century CE and the first known
    >
    > written reference would be from 1710 CE, which is ... a "few"
    >
    > centuries newer.

    newer than what ?

    > We can surely say that late 20th century CE is pretty new
    >
    > compared to 26th century BCE.

    No shit, that's 46 centuries .

    I don;t think we have much evidence of human existance from then,
    we can't go much back beyond 5 BCE with regards to what humans have built and have remains to prove it.

    Whisky-dave, Mar 19, 2013
  7. notbob <> wrote:
    > On 2013-03-17, Rob <> wrote:
    >> On 17/03/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>> What's new about them"

    >> Yep Japanese have used them for years

    > Europeans, for centuries. Duh.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

    It's Not A Toilet. Duh.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 19, 2013
  8. PeterN

    Noons Guest

    On 20/03/2013 4:16 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > notbob <> wrote:

    >>> Yep Japanese have used them for years

    >> Europeans, for centuries. Duh.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

    > It's Not A Toilet. Duh.

    sssshhhhh... don't tell them, you idiot!

    Noons, Mar 20, 2013
  9. Noons <> wrote:
    > On 20/03/2013 4:16 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> notbob <> wrote:

    >>> Europeans, for centuries. Duh.

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

    >> It's Not A Toilet. Duh.

    > sssshhhhh... don't tell them, you idiot!

    I'd be twice an idiot having to clean the bidet because I
    didn't tell them!

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 20, 2013
  10. Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > On Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:11:22 PM UTC, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28:34 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >> > What's new about them"

    >> According to Wikipedia (yes, a not too reliable source) flush
    >> toilets have been proven existent in the 26th century BCE ...

    > year right, 26th century before christ ! JFC that is early.
    > Someones screwed up there.

    Yep, someone let out the secret for flush toilets a bit early,
    the overlords were not impressed.

    >> Bidets (same source, different page) are claimed to have
    >> been invented in the late 17th century CE and the first known
    >> written reference would be from 1710 CE, which is ... a "few"
    >> centuries newer.

    > newer than what ?

    Newer than flush toilets.

    >> We can surely say that late 20th century CE is pretty new
    >> compared to 26th century BCE.

    > No shit, that's 46 centuries .

    Yep.

    > I don;t think we have much evidence of human existance from then,
    > we can't go much back beyond 5 BCE with regards to what humans have built and have remains to prove it.

    Really? No prehistoric (before the written word) remains
    have been found? No tools[1] and remains of buildings from
    the stone age, no cave paintings? No flutes from the 33rd
    and 41st/42nd millenium(!) BCE[0]?

    No http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_of_Djoser (built
    2667–2648 BCE)?

    I guess that that hamlet consisting of huts built of rocks
    and of mammoth bones in what is now Dolni Vestonice in Moravia
    in the Czech Republic --- the oldest found permanent
    settlement yet (ca 23,000 BCE) is also non-existent, since it
    goes back way before 5 BCE ...

    Never mind all the bones that have been found --- way
    before 5 BCE. Never mind the written records of, say, the
    Roman Kingdom and Roman Republic, the Illiad and Odyssey,
    (somewhen 9th-6th century BCE), the hieroglyphs of Egypt
    (earliest 3400-3200 BCE[3]) or the cuneiform writing system
    (from 34th century BCE to 2th century CE), or proto-writing
    systems like the VinÄa-Turdash script --- dated older than
    40th century BCE and the Tărtăria tablets, bearing the same
    symbols, believed to be 53th to 55th century BCE.

    Never mind
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls
    either.

    -Wolfgang

    [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutes#History

    [1] from say 3.39 million years BP[2] (Before Present ==
    before 1950 CE) --- yes, that's way before Homo sapiens
    round 200,000 BP and --- yes! --- before the genus Homo
    is believed to appear round 2.4-2.3 million years BP ..

    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo#cite_note-5

    [3] http://archive.archaeology.org/9903/newsbriefs/egypt.html

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 22, 2013