Re: OT: Cheap clamshell phone (ie flipphone) that works on the XT network.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:23:29 +1300, Robert Cooze
    <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> shouted from the highest
    rooftop:

    >On 11/11/11 18:29, Crash McBash wrote:
    >> My wife currently has a clamshell phone that is ideal and meets her
    >> needs exactly - and is linked to our landline through onebill. Telecom
    >> have, however, decided to correct this problem by switching off their
    >> CDMA network ;-(
    >>
    >> The cheapest upgrade from Telecom is a $29 phone but this is not a
    >> clamshell. Their cheapest clamshell is $150. Basically she wants a
    >> clamshell-style phone (because the closed cover protects the keyboard)
    >> that can handle voice calls and txt. No other features are required.
    >>
    >> I have a near-identical phone - the Samsung 1310B but this is not XT
    >> compatible.
    >>
    >> Using Google gives the usual array of either too-expensive or not
    >> suitable phones.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of taking the $29 phone in order to get a SIM with the
    >> same number, swap the SIM to a suitable clamshell phone. This way we
    >> retain the number and the onebill feature using the hardware of her
    >> choice. Note that I have considered buying something like the E1310B
    >> with a Vodafone or 2o SIM and porting the Telecom number to it but we
    >> loose the onebill feature doing this.
    >>
    >> So - any suggestions on a suitable phone? TIA...

    >Ok there is 2 things that come to mind
    >
    >1) Telecom announced the switch off of the CDMA network over two years
    >ago so why haven't you sorted out a replacement
    >
    >2) If you are a good customer of Telecom why did they not give you a
    >new phone no charge no questions that met your current usage and
    >requirements.
    >

    >As for me They gave me a new phone about a year and 1/2 ago better than
    >what I was using Plus massive credit. I was planing on upgrading end of
    >last year but when had a minor flat they just upgraded it. I still liked
    >my old phone but new one Is better.
    >
    >Grow up and Talk to a Telecom store manager not a franchise manager they
    >make fantastic deals.....

    Same here. Telecom replaced my old CDMA phone and gave me a new one
    around a year ago. A couple of months ago I gave that phone to my wife
    (who had another CDMA phone) and bought myself a new one with a better
    user interface. I gave my wife's old CDMA phone to our son-in-law
    whose phone crapped out and he'll be able to get a new phone from
    Telecom when the time comes.

    BTW - when does the Telecom CDMA network disappear?

    Donchano, Nov 11, 2011