Re: OT: Cheap clamshell phone (ie flipphone) that works on the XT network.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:29:08 +1300, Crash McBash
    <> wrote:

    >My wife currently has a clamshell phone that is ideal and meets her
    >needs exactly - and is linked to our landline through onebill. Telecom
    >have, however, decided to correct this problem by switching off their
    >CDMA network ;-(
    >
    >The cheapest upgrade from Telecom is a $29 phone but this is not a
    >clamshell. Their cheapest clamshell is $150. Basically she wants a
    >clamshell-style phone (because the closed cover protects the keyboard)
    >that can handle voice calls and txt. No other features are required.
    >
    >I have a near-identical phone - the Samsung 1310B but this is not XT
    >compatible.
    >
    >Using Google gives the usual array of either too-expensive or not
    >suitable phones.
    >
    >I am thinking of taking the $29 phone in order to get a SIM with the
    >same number, swap the SIM to a suitable clamshell phone. This way we
    >retain the number and the onebill feature using the hardware of her
    >choice. Note that I have considered buying something like the E1310B
    >with a Vodafone or 2o SIM and porting the Telecom number to it but we
    >loose the onebill feature doing this.
    >
    >So - any suggestions on a suitable phone? TIA...

    A lot of phones that are GMA do work with the XT Network.

    But not the NZ models you need in most cases Imported US ones

    Like the razr2 v9 US model but its not stated in the list below.
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Jama/6461

    http://www.megamart.co.nz/webapps/cid/19/247/shopping/region-shopping-view.html?pid=296595
    Bands Quad-band world phone - 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    Dual-band UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 MHz
    Frank Williams, Nov 11, 2011