Re: OS for 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    On 02/04/2010 6:55 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
    > Do I need to use a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM, or will 32-bit work? I was
    > reading today that the 32-bit will only support 3GB. Don't know how true
    > that is.
    >
    > I suppose it would be nice to know before I go and buy an OS.
    >

    > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

    Your CPU is 64 bit, its a new system it will run x64 no problems,
    however if you want to run XP 32bit (there is ofcoarse XP x64, but skip
    that and go to win7 if your going x64) or whatever you can still install
    your 4gb of ram as it has PAE (Physical Address Extension) however you
    cannot install any more than 4Gb with a 32 bit OS

    if you are buying an OS you will probably find that win7 is cheaper than
    XP, if your buying the full retail version you get both 32 and 64 bit
    versions (so you could try one out before activating) unfortunatley the
    OEM versions are ether 32 or 64 bit so you will have to choose.

    I use the 64 bit version of win7 on my main machine, but have the 32bit
    version installed on the older machine as there is a driver missing for
    one of the devices on the NFORCE 4 chipset, both are good.

    PAE:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

    JD

    JD, Apr 2, 2010