Re: OS for 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. 32-bit is fine. 4G is the max that 32-bit will take, you don't need 64-bit
    unless you wanted to use higher amounts of RAM. I'm not certain, but I
    _think_ that your decision to get a 32-bit or 64-bit OS is driven by the
    motherboard, not the RAM. To be sure, the 32-bit system will not see any
    more than 4G of RAM, but I'm not sure if this is a constraint of the OS or
    the hardware, or both. What I'm trying to say is that if you bought a 64-bit
    OS and put it onto a 32-bit system, you still would not see more than 4Gs of
    RAM -- which is the part I am not certain about ...

    Win XP Pro works really well with 4G of RAM.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 2, 2010