Re: orcon

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sweetpea, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:05:36 +1300, Reg wrote:

    > I have just seen the news item about orcon losing customers' email
    > records.
    > I am curious to know how many people here store all their emails and
    > contacts on their isp's server?

    Nope. Ditto for Gmail, or Hotmail, or any other web-based equivalent.

    Sweetpea, Oct 29, 2010

  2. Sweetpea

    John Little Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:05:36 +1300, Reg wrote:
    > I have just seen the news item about orcon losing customers' email
    > records.
    >  I am curious to know how many people here store all their emails and
    > contacts on their isp's server?

    Not my ISP...

    On Oct 29, 8:52 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > Nope. Ditto for Gmail, or Hotmail, or any other web-based equivalent.

    But yes in Gmail. I do trust Google, though I wonder how rational
    that is. There's a lot of anti-Google sniping, which seems to
    originate in blatant propaganda from its rivals and those whose
    parasitic and toxic business models (f.ex. television advertising)
    have been undermined.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Oct 29, 2010

  3. Sweetpea

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-29, John Little <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:05:36 +1300, Reg wrote:
    >> I have just seen the news item about orcon losing customers' email
    >> records.
    >>  I am curious to know how many people here store all their emails and
    >> contacts on their isp's server?

    > Not my ISP...
    >
    > On Oct 29, 8:52 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    >> Nope. Ditto for Gmail, or Hotmail, or any other web-based equivalent.

    > But yes in Gmail. I do trust Google,

    To do do what? Serious question. BTW, can one kill Google, as in a human?

    though I wonder how rational
    > that is. There's a lot of anti-Google sniping, which seems to
    > originate in blatant propaganda from its rivals and those whose
    > parasitic and toxic business models (f.ex. television advertising)
    > have been undermined.

    That as it as it is, your data, held only by a second party whom you have
    never met. Your choice.

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2010