Re: Orcon bandwidth throttling

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jan 8, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone else on Orcon noticed that when downloading through
    > bittorrent, their ADSL connection gets throttled to almost zero
    > bandwidth - not just the torrent-related connections, but all other
    > TCP connections as well?

    Yep, about four years ago, Hence I'm with Actrix now.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Jan 8, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone else on Orcon noticed that when downloading through
    >> bittorrent, their ADSL connection gets throttled to almost zero
    >> bandwidth - not just the torrent-related connections, but all other
    >> TCP connections as well?

    > Yep, about four years ago, Hence I'm with Actrix now.

    Don't speak too hastily, fellow Actrix-er. My torrents have been throttled
    mercilessly for the last month or so. Two days to get a 175MB sitcom seems
    to be the norm. Average speed of 3 to 4 KiB/s.

    Deliberate shaping by Actrix is the only explanation I can think of. I can
    have operating system updates coming in at my max speed of 768 KiB/s. DL'ing
    files via web browser is 200-300 KiB/s more often than not. Youtube buffers
    in next to no time. Skype is no problem. The only laggard is my torrenting.

    I've reconfigured KTorrent every which way, opened different ports, used
    protocol encryption - all the usual suggestions - but it's always the same.
    The torrent will start off with a hiss and a roar (100+ KiB/s) then after a
    minute or two it drops to 3 or 4 KiB/s and stays there. So I'll change ports
    and turn my router on and off (hopefully to get a different IP address) and
    start torrenting again. Same result i.e hiss and a roar then merciless
    throttling.

    Changed from KTorrent to Transmission and still get the same results. What
    more can a poor boy do?

    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 8, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-01-08, Lodi <> wrote:

    > Don't speak too hastily, fellow Actrix-er. My torrents have been throttled
    > mercilessly for the last month or so. Two days to get a 175MB sitcom seems
    > to be the norm. Average speed of 3 to 4 KiB/s.
    >
    > Deliberate shaping by Actrix is the only explanation I can think of.

    I can think of the supply being limited, as in all the peers and seeders
    have a very small upload if anything.

    I have no real problem with torrents being throttled as long as they are
    allowed to do unimpeeded during the dead of night. After all torrents are
    about getting a file from other like minded folks. We all would like to have
    it right now, but if I am seeding then I do need some spare bandwidth to do
    what I am currently doing. So the upload speed is throttled from my machine.

    However having said all that. Torrents can make the connection smoke. More
    often than not it is steady variable rate.

    I have accepted that a torrent will arrive when it does. Get on with
    something else until it arrives. A watched pot never boils.
    Gordon, Jan 9, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    > I have accepted that a torrent will arrive when it does. Get on with
    > something else until it arrives.

    Agreed oh wise one.

    > A watched pot never boils.

    Technically, it does :)

    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 9, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <igake3$rgu$>, says...

    > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone else on Orcon noticed that when downloading through
    > >> bittorrent, their ADSL connection gets throttled to almost zero
    > >> bandwidth - not just the torrent-related connections, but all other
    > >> TCP connections as well?

    > > Yep, about four years ago, Hence I'm with Actrix now.

    > Don't speak too hastily, fellow Actrix-er. My torrents have been throttled
    > mercilessly for the last month or so. Two days to get a 175MB sitcom seems
    > to be the norm. Average speed of 3 to 4 KiB/s.
    >
    > Deliberate shaping by Actrix is the only explanation I can think of. I can
    > have operating system updates coming in at my max speed of 768 KiB/s. DL'ing
    > files via web browser is 200-300 KiB/s more often than not. Youtube buffers
    > in next to no time. Skype is no problem. The only laggard is my torrenting.
    >
    > I've reconfigured KTorrent every which way, opened different ports, used
    > protocol encryption - all the usual suggestions - but it's always the same.
    > The torrent will start off with a hiss and a roar (100+ KiB/s) then after a
    > minute or two it drops to 3 or 4 KiB/s and stays there. So I'll change ports
    > and turn my router on and off (hopefully to get a different IP address) and
    > start torrenting again. Same result i.e hiss and a roar then merciless
    > throttling.
    >
    > Changed from KTorrent to Transmission and still get the same results. What
    > more can a poor boy do?
    >
    > Lodi

    Stop using torrents ?

    I've not bothered with any torrent program for some years now and am
    sooooo glad I did. Last night I downloaded some sitcoms ( shit my Dad
    says. US program starring will shatner) in about an hour per gig approx.
    Thats with the time delay between pieces of *.rar files thru
    rapidshare/zippyshare (FAST)/mediafire etc using Jdownloader. No uploads
    to worry about and leech to my hearts content.

    Currrently doing a PBS Isralei/Arab 50 year history doco of about 2 gigs
    at between 120-200KB. I used to be rapt with torrent speeds of that ilk
    and found with the slow upload speeds here your ratio was always shit
    unless you cheated so scrapped them all together. Most torrents are
    always released elsewhere first anyway so its easier to get things from
    elsewhere.

    Just my 2c.

    Bazz
    bAZZ, Jan 9, 2011
  6. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 9/01/2011 5:00 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-01-08, Lodi<> wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't speak too hastily, fellow Actrix-er. My torrents have been throttled
    >> mercilessly for the last month or so. Two days to get a 175MB sitcom seems
    >> to be the norm. Average speed of 3 to 4 KiB/s.
    >>
    >> Deliberate shaping by Actrix is the only explanation I can think of.

    > I can think of the supply being limited, as in all the peers and seeders
    > have a very small upload if anything.
    >
    > I have no real problem with torrents being throttled as long as they are
    > allowed to do unimpeeded during the dead of night. After all torrents are
    > about getting a file from other like minded folks. We all would like to have
    > it right now, but if I am seeding then I do need some spare bandwidth to do
    > what I am currently doing. So the upload speed is throttled from my machine.
    >
    > However having said all that. Torrents can make the connection smoke. More
    > often than not it is steady variable rate.
    >
    > I have accepted that a torrent will arrive when it does. Get on with
    > something else until it arrives. A watched pot never boils.

    I disagree, as I am paying the same price for the data, it should get
    the same priority, torrent, http, skype - whatever.

    If they start to discount torrent connections based on them being
    treated as second class data, then this sort of stuff would be tollerable.
    Richard, Jan 9, 2011
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else on Orcon noticed that when downloading through
    >>> bittorrent, their ADSL connection gets throttled to almost zero
    >>> bandwidth - not just the torrent-related connections, but all other
    >>> TCP connections as well?

    >> Yep, about four years ago, Hence I'm with Actrix now.

    > Don't speak too hastily, fellow Actrix-er. My torrents have been
    > throttled mercilessly for the last month or so. Two days to get a
    > 175MB sitcom seems to be the norm. Average speed of 3 to 4 KiB/s.
    >
    > Deliberate shaping by Actrix is the only explanation I can think of.
    > I can have operating system updates coming in at my max speed of 768
    > KiB/s. DL'ing files via web browser is 200-300 KiB/s more often than
    > not. Youtube buffers in next to no time. Skype is no problem. The
    > only laggard is my torrenting.
    >
    > I've reconfigured KTorrent every which way, opened different ports,
    > used protocol encryption - all the usual suggestions - but it's
    > always the same. The torrent will start off with a hiss and a roar
    > (100+ KiB/s) then after a minute or two it drops to 3 or 4 KiB/s and
    > stays there. So I'll change ports and turn my router on and off
    > (hopefully to get a different IP address) and start torrenting again.
    > Same result i.e hiss and a roar then merciless throttling.
    >
    > Changed from KTorrent to Transmission and still get the same results.
    > What more can a poor boy do?

    Eeek! I hope I don't get that problem. I'm currently getting the latest
    episode of QI at 420 KB/s, it takes all of 10 minutes.

    As mentioned elsewhere, I pay for my data the same as anyone else does, I'd
    be right pissed off if it were to be sifted through.... Way back when Actrix
    assured me that it never would. <shrug>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2011