Re: Orcon ADSL2+ Upgrade

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Lim, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Jul 31, 6:49 pm, "{-.-}" <> wrote:
    > Has anyone recently upgraded to Orcon's ADSL2+ ?
    > How's the experience so far ? Is it actually much faster?
    >
    > Thanks !

    I upgraded a few months ago (from Xtra). Yes it is much faster, max
    speed has gone up from about 200KB/s to 800KB/s but there have been a
    few times where the speed has dropped back significantly. I suspect
    their network doesn't handle the load when it gets really busy, but
    overall it's a huge improvement.
    Chris Lim, Jul 31, 2008

  2. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 1, 10:41 am, Puddle <> wrote:
    > Chris Lim wrote:
    > > On Jul 31, 6:49 pm, "{-.-}" <> wrote:
    > >> Has anyone recently upgraded to Orcon's ADSL2+ ?
    > >> How's the experience so far ? Is it actually much faster?

    > >> Thanks !

    > > I upgraded a few months ago (from Xtra). Yes it is much faster, max
    > > speed has gone up from about 200KB/s to 800KB/s but there have been a
    > > few times where the speed has dropped back significantly. I suspect
    > > their network doesn't handle the load when it gets really busy, but
    > > overall it's a huge improvement.

    > Are you on their equipment? (LLU)  (orcon@home etc) or just using them
    > as a provider?
    >
    > I am with them as just a provider but still using telecom equipment at
    > the exchange, orcon aren't in my exchange yet.. I hit 950 kbytes some
    > times on torrents which I am pretty happy with.

    I'm on their equipment (LLU, Ellerslie exchange). When I was on Xtra I
    could never get above 200KB/s and most of the time was much slower. If
    you are getting 950KB/s already then maybe you'll get lightning speeds
    on their exchange!
    Chris Lim, Aug 1, 2008