Re: OptiCal ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ender W., Aug 16, 2003.

  1. Ender W.

    Ender W. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:45:03 -0400, "Cliff Spicer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have upgrades from PhotoCal to Optical so I could get the white/black
    >point features instead of eyeballing it. My question is when I use Optical
    >to set the white/black point after I use PreCal I have to lighten the
    >monitor considerably. After I do the white//black point setup and return to
    >the PreCal the screen that says I should darken the monitor until the
    >pattern is barely visible is way too light. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Cliff

    You shoudn't be returning to Precal. The monitor is dark just for
    precal. Then Optical has you boost the levels to the way they should
    be for use. Hope this helps. LEt me know if you have any more
    questions.

    Greg
    Ender W., Aug 16, 2003

  2. Ender W.

    John H Guest

    >You shoudn't be returning to Precal. The monitor is dark just for
    >precal. Then Optical has you boost the levels to the way they should
    >be for use. Hope this helps. LEt me know if you have any more
    >questions.
    >
    >Greg

    Greg,

    I bought Spyder about two months ago, and your post is touching on the
    answer to what has troubled me. In the first few weeks, I calibrated
    many times, using PreCal and then Optical, as set out in the manual.
    It seemed to me that using PreCal destroys all your previous efforts
    and puts you back to square one again. Is this how it's meant to be?

    It's now about a month since I last calibrated my monitor. Should I
    start afresh and use PreCal (which requires me to totally alter my
    current settings), or should I only use OptiCal? As I see it Optical
    would enable a fine tuning of my current settings?

    Your advice and any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

    John
    John H, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Ender W.

    Ender W. Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:53:28 +1000, John H
    <> wrote:

    >>You shoudn't be returning to Precal. The monitor is dark just for
    >>precal. Then Optical has you boost the levels to the way they should
    >>be for use. Hope this helps. LEt me know if you have any more
    >>questions.
    >>
    >>Greg

    >Greg,
    >
    >I bought Spyder about two months ago, and your post is touching on the
    >answer to what has troubled me. In the first few weeks, I calibrated
    >many times, using PreCal and then Optical, as set out in the manual.
    >It seemed to me that using PreCal destroys all your previous efforts
    >and puts you back to square one again. Is this how it's meant to be?
    >
    >It's now about a month since I last calibrated my monitor. Should I
    >start afresh and use PreCal (which requires me to totally alter my
    >current settings), or should I only use OptiCal? As I see it Optical
    >would enable a fine tuning of my current settings?
    >
    >Your advice and any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >John

    Precal is used to make sure that the electron guns in the monitor are
    adjusted correctly and putting out the correct levels. Then they are
    tuned to usable parameters with optical. Precal should not be used
    with LCD monitors. After Precal, run Optical in precision mode and
    follow directions. Optical can also be run in Standard mode without
    running Precal. This is not as good as precal, because you tune with
    your eyes. If you run Optical in Standard mode after Precal, skip the
    first two steps because they have already been done in Precal. This is
    what I do. Run Precal, then run Optical in Precision Mode. Works Good.
    If you redo things every few weeks or so, you don't need to rerun
    Precal, but it doesn't hurt. It will catch any drifting of the
    electron guns. You could also run Optical Check to see if it needs to
    be done at all. Do you have the PDF manual? Go to their website and
    download it. It has all the info. Remember Precal and Optical in
    Precision mode are not to be used with LCD monitors. Use Optical in
    standard mode with LCD's.

    GH
    Ender W., Aug 16, 2003
  4. Ender W.

    John H Guest

    Greg,

    Thanks for your explanation and clarification.

    John H, Aug 17, 2003
  5. Ender W.

    Jimmy Guest

    "Ender W." <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:53:28 +1000, John H
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > Precal is used to make sure that the electron guns in the monitor are
    > adjusted correctly and putting out the correct levels. Then they are
    > tuned to usable parameters with optical. Precal should not be used
    > with LCD monitors. After Precal, run Optical in precision mode and
    > follow directions. Optical can also be run in Standard mode without
    > running Precal. This is not as good as precal, because you tune with
    > your eyes. If you run Optical in Standard mode after Precal, skip the
    > first two steps because they have already been done in Precal. This is
    > what I do. Run Precal, then run Optical in Precision Mode. Works Good.
    > If you redo things every few weeks or so, you don't need to rerun
    > Precal, but it doesn't hurt. It will catch any drifting of the
    > electron guns. You could also run Optical Check to see if it needs to
    > be done at all. Do you have the PDF manual? Go to their website and
    > download it. It has all the info. Remember Precal and Optical in
    > Precision mode are not to be used with LCD monitors. Use Optical in
    > standard mode with LCD's.
    >

    > GH

    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/photocal/photocal_2.htm I noticed on his site Ian Lyons suggests
    that after using PreCal, it is better to select a White Point of 'Native' in the OptiCal starting
    window as other settings will undo the PreCal initial settings. This is not covered in the manual.
    Is this something that should be done or is it even necessary?

    Jimmy
    Jimmy, Aug 17, 2003