Re: Optical Mouse works on P133 ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Friend bought DSE Optical mouse but says that Windows 95 can't see it.
    > PS2 connecter is plugged into an adapter - old-style large plug.
    > Should an optical mouse work on older PCs? I'll go and have a look at
    > it in a few days.

    I'm pretty sure that the PS/2 - Serial converters are mouse-specific. They
    only work with the mouse that they were designed to.. or maybe the mice only
    work with adaptors if they were designed to, since the interface is
    completely different.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Nicholas Sherlock

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:32:52 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Friend bought DSE Optical mouse but says that Windows 95 can't see it.
    >> PS2 connecter is plugged into an adapter - old-style large plug.
    >> Should an optical mouse work on older PCs? I'll go and have a look at
    >> it in a few days.

    >I'm pretty sure that the PS/2 - Serial converters are mouse-specific. They
    >only work with the mouse that they were designed to.. or maybe the mice only
    >work with adaptors if they were designed to, since the interface is
    >completely different.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    I use a USB mouse on a USB to PS2 adapter.

    GraB, Jul 29, 2003

  3. GraB wrote:

    > I use a USB mouse on a USB to PS2 adapter.

    Because its not just a USB mouse, its a USB and PS/2 mouse. The chip in it does
    both protocols.

    The good side of this, is you can generally buy a cheap as anything keyboard,
    and change the plug for a USB one and get a USB keyboard for less then what they
    cost, or in the case of the cute little ones, get it in black when they only
    sell the USB in beige :)

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 29, 2003