Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Davin Mickelson, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Warning: this is all my opinion, which is often wrong.

    Sadly, you may find that women make less than men in the IT industry. I hope
    I am wrong; I am a male. What the hell do I know? Ask other women in the IT
    industry.

    For women in computers, I think it's an even split between network
    administration (MCSE) and software development (MCSD). I think women in
    computers is cool. The MCSE certification title is something that can
    enhance one's career by (slightly) helping you land in a new job or get you
    a better pay raise at review time. The MCSD title carries a little more
    weight because less people have it; many developers simply don't care about
    getting certified.

    MCSEs get more exercise. They are the people that are wiring computers,
    running all over the company campus, installing hardware/software here and
    there, calling people and pulling their hair out. MCSDs earn more money but
    get fat because they sit at a desk, cut code and follow tight deadlines with
    ample debugging. Neither group is less stressed.

    Both groups must keep up with the latest technology. This means continuous
    reading, experimentation, and computer certification.

    This is really a tough time to break into the IT industry. It can be done
    though, if you're willing to swallow your pride (low pay, crappy job) to get
    your foot in the door somewhere.

    Good luck to you. I love this stuff.

    (I welcome other comments from anyone else.)

    Sincerely,
    Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA

    "Missy" <> wrote in message
    > I've decided to change careers from publishing to computers. In general,

    do
    > more females work in networking or on the development end of IT? In
    > addition, what advice would you give to a person switching careers into

    the

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Davin Mickelson

    Consultant Guest

    you are not wrong, they are paid far less then the males. unless you are as
    good as say, laura robinson.

    Consultant, Sep 4, 2003

  3. circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 00:51:54 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Davin Mickelson
    () said,
    > Warning: this is all my opinion, which is often wrong.
    >
    > Sadly, you may find that women make less than men in the IT industry. I hope
    > I am wrong; I am a male. What the hell do I know? Ask other women in the IT
    > industry.

    I suspect that I make more than a lot of men in the IT industry.

    > For women in computers, I think it's an even split between network
    > administration (MCSE) and software development (MCSD). I think women in
    > computers is cool. The MCSE certification title is something that can
    > enhance one's career by (slightly) helping you land in a new job or get you
    > a better pay raise at review time. The MCSD title carries a little more
    > weight because less people have it; many developers simply don't care about
    > getting certified.

    Don't bet on that one. MCSDs have as much to fight in terms of the
    "paper certification" tag as MCSA/Es do. Sometimes more. "Real"
    coders often view MCSDs as dilletantes or worse.

    > MCSEs get more exercise. They are the people that are wiring computers,
    > running all over the company campus, installing hardware/software here and
    > there, calling people and pulling their hair out. MCSDs earn more money but
    > get fat because they sit at a desk, cut code and follow tight deadlines with
    > ample debugging. Neither group is less stressed.

    Definitely a bit of overgeneralization here, IMO.

    > Both groups must keep up with the latest technology. This means continuous
    > reading, experimentation, and computer certification.

    Yup.

    > This is really a tough time to break into the IT industry.

    That's an understatement.

    > It can be done
    > though, if you're willing to swallow your pride (low pay, crappy job) to get
    > your foot in the door somewhere.

    And it's even harder to do that than it used to be.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Davin Mickelson

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Oh, I could only wish!!!!! She's my hero!

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Sep 4, 2003
  5. circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:05:01 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
    () said,
    > you are not wrong, they are paid far less then the males. unless you are as
    > good as say, laura robinson.

    While I'm flattered, if it really is true that women are paid less on
    the whole, then women need to start kicking some butts. ;-)

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 4, 2003
  6. Davin Mickelson

    Consultant Guest

    i would actually like to hire a couple women. any interested ladies, feel
    free to send me your pics and a short bio

    Consultant, Sep 4, 2003
  7. circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:45:01 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
    () said,
    > i would actually like to hire a couple women. any interested ladies, feel
    > free to send me your pics and a short bio

    Yes, but you're not looking to hire them for IT.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Davin Mickelson

    Jtyc Guest

    > i would actually like to hire a couple women. any interested ladies, feel
    > free to send me your pics and a short bio

    What if I know someone who isn't a woman but does have a ponytail and likes
    to wear leather chaps? Does that qualify?

    Jtyc, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Davin Mickelson

    S. O'Brien Guest

    there you go with details again... do I need to get a gag order issued
    against you?

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    S. O'Brien, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Davin Mickelson

    Consultant Guest

    no

    Consultant, Sep 4, 2003
  11. Davin Mickelson

    Jtyc Guest

    > would that be at your parking spot or on "the" street

    he's been seen around the parking spot before...

    Jtyc, Sep 4, 2003
  12. Davin Mickelson

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:50:21 -0400, "Laura A. Robinson"
    <> wrote:

    >Yes, but you're not looking to hire them for IT.

    I'm sure he wants them to be able to do it....

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18

    KLXrider, Sep 4, 2003
  13. circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:51:00 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Jtyc ()
    said,

    > > I suspect that I make more than a lot of men in the IT industry.

    > I'm still looking for someone to adopt me... ;-)

    I still don't want kids.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 4, 2003
  14. Davin Mickelson

    Jtyc Guest

    > I still don't want kids.

    But I'm not like the other kids... I'm special.

    Jtyc, Sep 4, 2003
  15. Davin Mickelson

    Jtyc Guest

    > so you promise not to leave a smell in your room

    I don't pee on the carpet.

    anymore...

    Jtyc, Sep 4, 2003
  16. Davin Mickelson

    S. O'Brien Guest

    properly chastized and obeys too! lol do I have to start calling you puppy
    like billy too?

    S. O'Brien, Sep 4, 2003
  17. Davin Mickelson

    S. O'Brien Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    > > properly chastized and obeys too! lol do I have to start calling you

    > puppy
    > > like billy too?

    > As long as you give me the details you can call me what you like.

    haha nice try though... cant blame the boy for tryin though

    S. O'Brien, Sep 4, 2003
  18. Davin Mickelson

    Jtyc Guest

    > haha nice try though... cant blame the boy for tryin though

    You know you're gonna tell me eventually so why delay the inevitable?

    Jtyc, Sep 4, 2003
  19. Davin Mickelson

    Jtyc Guest

    > for my entertainment