Re: Opinions on Gateway

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Curious, Feb 7, 2009.

  1. Curious

    Curious Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was looking at a Gateway system which features the Intel QX9650 CPU. It
    >has a
    > 1.5Tb hard drive, 8Gb RAM, Blue-ray burner and all sorts of bells and
    > whistles.
    > Selling for $1,500. I've bulit my last three or four systems and been
    > happy with
    > them, but this seems to be a decent buy for the price. Especially since my
    > reasearch into this Intel chip shows it alone selling for around $1,000,
    > This is
    > what makes me skeptical. What is the reputation of Gateway, and also,
    > what's the
    > scopp on this chip? I was reading a few buyers reviews on it over at
    > NewEgg and
    > they were very critical. Thanks for any opinions or comments.

    Is this the Gateway model you found?
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?Sku=G180-1009

    It is spectacularly well specified and future-proofed for the price you
    found it at. It's end of range, so discounted - it's a bargain!
    Including the 1.5tb HDD (Which is 2 x 750gb SATA drives) and
    Blu-ray burner and plenty of RAM you listed, it has a very good
    graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT PCI-Express with it's
    own dedicated 512mb of memory, 2 x DVI, and the sonics are
    supplied by a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi soundcard.
    Of the 4 PCI Express slots, two in use and two available for
    expansion (Thats future-proofing).
    Just read it's spec's, and Gateway are established.
    Why are you asking the numbskulls of this group and reading
    dopey "buyers" reviews at NewEgg, Buy it!
    Curious, Feb 7, 2009

  2. wrote:
    > On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:05:51 -0000, "Curious" <> wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> I was looking at a Gateway system which features the Intel QX9650 CPU. It
    >>> has a
    >>> 1.5Tb hard drive, 8Gb RAM, Blue-ray burner and all sorts of bells and
    >>> whistles.
    >>> Selling for $1,500. I've bulit my last three or four systems and been
    >>> happy with
    >>> them, but this seems to be a decent buy for the price. Especially since my
    >>> reasearch into this Intel chip shows it alone selling for around $1,000,
    >>> This is
    >>> what makes me skeptical. What is the reputation of Gateway, and also,
    >>> what's the
    >>> scopp on this chip? I was reading a few buyers reviews on it over at
    >>> NewEgg and
    >>> they were very critical. Thanks for any opinions or comments.
    >>>

    >> Is this the Gateway model you found?
    >> http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?Sku=G180-1009
    >>
    >> It is spectacularly well specified and future-proofed for the price you
    >> found it at. It's end of range, so discounted - it's a bargain!
    >> Including the 1.5tb HDD (Which is 2 x 750gb SATA drives) and
    >> Blu-ray burner and plenty of RAM you listed, it has a very good
    >> graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT PCI-Express with it's
    >> own dedicated 512mb of memory, 2 x DVI, and the sonics are
    >> supplied by a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi soundcard.
    >> Of the 4 PCI Express slots, two in use and two available for
    >> expansion (Thats future-proofing).
    >> Just read it's spec's, and Gateway are established.
    >> Why are you asking the numbskulls of this group and reading
    >> dopey "buyers" reviews at NewEgg, Buy it!
    >>

    > Yep, that's the one I was looking at. And it sure is pretty well equipped. No on
    > board video or graphics. My current system, which is four or five years old this
    > month, is a P-4 3.2 Ghz, with 2Gb RAM, a Radeon 9550 video card with digital
    > connection to the monitor, Soundblaster sound card, in short, and two SATA
    > drives, one 200Gb and a 500Gb.Fairly well equipped. I'm not a gamer but do
    > websites and a lot of music and graphics. So I'm probably well set now. But I
    > just wondered about this Gateway machine. If I wanted to build a new box with
    > one of these QX9650 CPU's the CPU itself would cost me nearly what the whole
    > system did four years ago. Go figure.

    Yeah sure whatever.......look just *buy* something...you'll help the
    economy.
    ****, tell you what, you can buy *me* one and help the economy and the
    unemployed!

    ^_^