Re: Opinions on Gateway

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckie®, Feb 7, 2009.

  1. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I was looking at a Gateway system which features the Intel QX9650 CPU. It

    has a
    > 1.5Tb hard drive, 8Gb RAM, Blue-ray burner and all sorts of bells and

    whistles.
    > Selling for $1,500. I've bulit my last three or four systems and been

    happy with
    > them, but this seems to be a decent buy for the price. Especially since my
    > reasearch into this Intel chip shows it alone selling for around $1,000,

    This is
    > what makes me skeptical. What is the reputation of Gateway, and also,

    what's the
    > scopp on this chip? I was reading a few buyers reviews on it over at

    NewEgg and
    > they were very critical. Thanks for any opinions or comments.

    I have, by now, had three Gateway computers, two Dell computers, one HP
    computer, and several that I have built myself. Having said that I offer
    the following:

    Gateway - adequate, but as mentioned in another post, they tend to 'cut
    corners'. Upside, they are upgradeable.

    Dell - also adequate, and same complaint as Gateway, with the same 'upside'

    HP/Compaq - wouldn't buy another with someone else's money, much less my
    own, IMHO, they are absolute crap!

    I would stay with the home-built. Unless there is a pressing financial
    situation that precludes it. That way you get what you want or, at least,
    have the capability of adding in the future.
    chuckie®, Feb 7, 2009