Re: Opinions on BioStar MBs

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ghost, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "SBFan2000"
    <> wrote:

    > Looking at a cheap Biostar U8668-D 533FSB DDR V/S/L for a relative that
    > wants a computer as cheap as possible

    Cheap is the operative word.

    Biostar is crap. The fail on a regular basis. Even to this day they have
    the cheapest caps on them that regularly swell and fail within a year or
    so.

    So, on one hand they can buy a cheap ass mobo and replace it every couple
    of years. Or, they can buy a decent mobo once and have it last.

    Ghost, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, Navin R. Johnson
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:18:26 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, "SBFan2000"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Looking at a cheap Biostar U8668-D 533FSB DDR V/S/L for a relative that
    > >> wants a computer as cheap as possible

    > >Cheap is the operative word.
    > >
    > >Biostar is crap. The fail on a regular basis. Even to this day they have
    > >the cheapest caps on them that regularly swell and fail within a year or
    > >so.
    > >
    > >So, on one hand they can buy a cheap ass mobo and replace it every couple
    > >of years. Or, they can buy a decent mobo once and have it last.

    > I've used BioStar mobo's in most of my 'cheap' customer's systems for
    > years and contrary to your experience Ghost, I have yet to ever see one
    > come back, for any reason. Although, I've never used a BioStar board
    > with any Intel processors, just AMD - they're cheaper.
    >
    > Another thing, I keep hearing about these mystical swelling capacitors
    > that seem to be the root of all motherboard failures. I've built 70-80
    > systems per year for the past 10 years and serviced at least three times
    > that many and still have never come across one of those elusive swelling
    > capacitors that everyone keeps talking about. What's up with that? I do
    > use AMD CPUs 99% of the time. Could swelled caps only be a problem on
    > boards with Intel processors? Or possibly only when boards are played
    > with or overclocked? Whatever the cause, I for one, am not going to
    > worry about them. Just my 2 cents.
    >
    > NRJ

    Navin,

    I have a box of dead mobos waiting to go to the recycler guy. The caps on
    almost every dead board are swollen and leaking.

    I recently had a customer who's machine I rebuilt because it was not put
    together properly (lots of problems). I noticed about half a dozen caps
    that were swollen. I advised him the board was going to fail soon, but
    since he did not have the money to take care if it them (yes, it was AMD
    if I recall prpoerly), I advised him to keep going until it died. I did
    not feel it would damaged anything else, nor did I feel it would damage
    the information on the HDD.

    Well, about a month after he picked up his machine, he said everything was
    going fine until sometimes the mcahine would lock up when he was using it,
    and sometimes it would not POST (sometimes it would). It finally would
    not POST any more. I opened it up and those caps were now leaking. It was
    dead.

    By the way, ever curious, I opened up one of the swollen caps. MAN DOES
    IT STINK OF AMMONIA!!! It was wicked strong!

    The tops of the caps need to be flat. If they are not completely flat,
    the caps are going bad. if they are leaking, chances are the board wont
    POST at all.

    The problem with the caps is they are cheap. Therefore, they fail
    relatively rapidly. There has been quite a bit written on the subject in
    tech news sources.

    As far as what processor- I do not think the processor makes the
    difference. However, since AMDs are cheaper and are usually used by
    people trying to build cheaper systems, I would think the majority of the
    mobos are AMD boards since they tend to be cheaper too. But, this is just
    conjecture. I have not really paid much attention to how many Intel
    boards vs how many AMD boards have failed.

    As far as your years of experience, I think most of this problem has been
    rearing its ugly head for only about the last couple or few years. I
    think you will see more of it in the future since more companies are using
    cheaper garbage to make their boards as well.

    Take care Navin.

    Ghost, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, Navin R. Johnson
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    > just the cheaper boards. ABIT and IBM have both acknowledged it and
    > they're definitely not cheap.
    >
    > >As far as your years of experience, I think most of this problem has been
    > >rearing its ugly head for only about the last couple or few years. I
    > >think you will see more of it in the future since more companies are using
    > >cheaper garbage to make their boards as well.
    > >
    > >Take care Navin.

    > I'll keep an eye out for bloated caps when I check out any bad mobos in
    > the future. It wasn't too difficult to replace the one swelled cap I
    > found on the IBM board but I would want to replace all the caps on the
    > board to be sure it won't happen again. Now, to find a good source for
    > reasonably priced, reliable replacement caps. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Navin R. Johnson
    >
    > I do, I do, I do believe in swollen capacitors.....

    No, I have not been replacing caps... most of the boards I see are not
    really all that good and I would not consider them worth the time and
    effort to replace the caps.

    But, for some decent boards I would consider it... I have a ton of
    (apparently still good) caps I took off the old boards when I was bored,
    but like I said, most of the boards are garbage boards anyway. Now, if it
    was a RAID board or a multiple CPU board, then it would be worth it.

    Let me know if you find a decent source for them, ok???

    Ghost, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    Navin,

    Check out the following links for info...

    It is from: http://www.motherboardrepair.com

    U.S.A. Part Information:

    Nichicon "low E.S.R." caps are available from Mouser : http://www.mouser.com/
    The part # is : 647-UPW1A152MPH6

    As an alternative, a suitable Panasonic part is available from :

    Digikey at http://www.digi-key.com
    Here's Digikey's part # P10228-ND
     Panasonic's part # EEU-FC1A152
     Description : CAP 1500UF 10V ELECT FC RADIAL
    Capacitance 1500uF
    Rated Voltage 10V
    Tolerance 20%
    Series FC