Re: OpenOffice 2.0 is a pig says zDnet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kool kate, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. kool kate

    kool kate Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:25:20 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> gordon wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:08:00 -0400, kool kate wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I'll bet Microsoft is getting a big kick out of this unfortunately.
    >>>> There is a severe perfromance difference between Microsoft Office
    >>>> and Open Office 2.0. So severe in fact that it appears 10 times
    >>>> slower in most cases.
    >>>> That type of performance doesn't bode well for OpenOffice.

    >>
    >> Open Office announces 50 million downloads, with the possibility of
    >> over 150 million users, and the Microsoft FUD campaign begins.

    >
    > Another reflexive, compulsive re ballard lie. You have no evidence he works
    > for MS, or is paid by them to write the article.
    >
    >
    >> The
    >> problem here is that the benchmark is so obviously doctored and
    >> manipulated that it's not even difficult to tell how it was done.

    >
    > Another lie. He revealed what he did, and everyone can replicate it.
    >
    >
    >> Step one, get just enough RAM to make room for the Windows libraries,
    >> which will basically take around 128 meg, perhas a bit more, enough
    >> for Iexplore.exe, svchost.exe, and sooffice.bin, services.exe, and the
    >> other "core libraries".

    >
    > Another lie.
    >
    > Hardware test bed:
    > Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz with Hyperthreading enabled
    > FSB 800 with 1 GB DDR 400 MHz RAM
    > NVIDIA Geforce 6800 OC
    > Two SATA Seagate 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive (test files non-OS drive)
    >
    > Software test bed:
    > Windows XP Professional with SP2 plus all critical updates
    > Microsoft Office 2003 Professional full installation
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=101
    >
    >
    >> For best results, use Word for taking notes
    >> on the test, this should pretty much assure that all libraries used
    >> for Excel will be in ram, ready to start excel.

    >
    > Another lie. You have no evidence for this claim.
    >
    >
    >> Then, start with a beta version of Office 2.0, which is very likely
    >> being built with all of the "debug flags" so that feedback from
    >> beta-testers can be easily and quickly traced to root cause issues.

    >
    > Another lie. He clearly states he uses the release version of OpenOffice
    > 2.0
    >
    >
    >> Second, make sure that NOTHING from OpenOffice is loaded. On any
    >> machine less than 256 megabytes, the OO application will have to
    >> thrash out the least used parts of Office, but mostly it will have to
    >> thrash out it's own memory.
    >>
    >> Time start of the second Excel spreadsheet (one was already open for
    >> recording stats), and the start of the first ever start of Excel.

    >
    > Two more lies. You have zero evidence for these claims, which are stupid to
    > boot.
    >
    >
    >> Yep. Sure 'nuf, OO is slower. But that doesn't seem to stop people
    >> from downloading, installing, and running it. Perhaps it's because
    >> they know that once they've loaded the first app, subsequent loads are
    >> faster.

    >
    > OO Calc save and load times increase exponentially with the size of the
    > spreadsheet.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=119&tag=nl.e539
    >>>
    >>> Well he must have been running it on a BBC B machine! I don't know
    >>> where he gets his figures from - *147* seconds to load a
    >>> spreadsheet? Mine load in about *10* secs - thats 2.0 beta.

    >>
    >> Kill all processes that are even remotely related to Open Office, and
    >> then time the start. It's a factually acurate result, based on
    >> completely fraudulent testing conditions.

    >
    > More lies.
    >
    > You're blatantly afraid to replicate the tests. That's ironic, since it's
    > you who constantly whines about MS refusing to allow benchmarking.
    >
    > If you do muster the courage to test the scenarios the author revealed at
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=101 you'll see results similar to his: at least
    > two to three minutes with 100% CPU utilization just to open a spreadsheet of
    > a size that Excel opens in 3 seconds flat.
    >
    > OSS: when you have lots of time to waste
    >
    >
    >
    >> I suppose this will be going into Microsoft's "fast facts" releases
    >> any minute.

    >
    > I hope so. cola and Linux jerks never tire of claiming Windows crashes
    > constantly, and is a toy OS, and Windows users are dumb, and MS is a
    > criminal orgainzation, and so on and on.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>> Registered Linux User no 240308
    >>> Ubuntu 5.10
    >>> gbplinuxATgmailDOTcom
    >>> to email me remove the obvious!


    DFS wins!
    Game set match as he takes apart the Ballard Blow-Hard.
    Well done!



    --
    kool kat
    Kill the doggzz reply.
    Everybody loves a warm pussy.
    kool kate, Oct 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. kool kate

    John Bailo Guest

    kool kate wrote:


    > Well done!


    Thanks.

    I knew you'd concede that loading a compressed file is different from
    loading straight text.

    Only a fool would think otherwise.

    Now we can berate DFS together.

    --
    360 updated 10/5
    http://360.yahoo.com/manfrommars_43
    John Bailo, Oct 22, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. kool kate

    kool kate Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:37:50 -0700, Skeets wrote:

    >>>Somebody's gotta do it. The cola regs let him say what he wants, with

    > virtually no questions or challenges.
    >
    > (and thanks for posting the original link - it's important the truth
    > about
    > OSS be revealed)<<
    >
    > the truth about OSS? you just exposed your entire agenda...
    >
    > now i know why you REFUSE to answer hwo long it takes MSO to open THE
    > NEW INTERNATIONAL XML STANDARD DOCUMENTS!
    >
    > you are merely FUDing against every piece of OSS every made by hanging
    > onto one, effectively irrelevant piece of information.
    >
    > OOos problem with this type of file isn't 1/1000 the problem that
    > microsoft has not supporting the THE NEW INTERNATIONAL XML STANDARD in
    > any way, shape or form.
    >
    > you ought to know this, but since it doesn't side with your agenda, you
    > will do what you accuse those who disagree with you of doing...
    > accepting lies as long as it suits your agenda.
    >
    > there is a name for that... do you know what it is?


    You don't seem to be much better at advocating Linux than you are at
    running an auto dealership.
    Have you found a new cause other than football?
    No surprise though, because Linux supporters tend to fail at most things
    in life that count.

    Like earning a living for example.

    BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!


    http://groups.google.com/group/&rnum=6&hl=en#6bf3652596d75bab


    --
    kool kat
    Kill the doggzz reply.
    Everybody loves a warm pussy.
    kool kate, Oct 22, 2005
    #3
  4. kool kate

    flatfish Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:52:25 +0000, amosf wrote:


    > So why is it that people who depend on MSO for a living are so worried that
    > they have to troll a teensy little linux advocacy group?
    >
    > Weird, huh?


    You people just don't get it do you?
    It has FAR LESS to do with Linux than it has to do with COLA-NUTS.

    I use Linux.
    I think it's great.
    However, I also acknowledge its problems as well as Windows problems.

    This group is exactly like an abortion/anti-abortion group.
    Or a gay/straight group.

    Both sides tend to defend their POV, which is fine, but there are always a
    few people who simply cannot accept facts but instead go way off the deep
    end when they are confronted with proof that their is a problem with their
    chosen POV.

    EVERY SINGLE THREAD in this group degrades into:
    You're a troll.
    Microsoft has security problems.
    Microsoft is a crooked monopoly.
    Massive denial (this one is the funniest).
    Your mother did it...... etc...

    The group is a cesspit filled with babies like sinister, 7 and others.
    Filled with linux apologists like Kelsey. (He's been pulling ya chains for
    years). IOW he plays both sides of the coin, and does it very well.
    Filled with vile vipers like PK.
    Filled with nasty people like Roy Culley.
    Liars and thieves like Unknown.
    Windbags like Rex Ballard and Aragorn.
    Senile people like greycloud.

    This is your core group.
    Pretty pathetic if you look at it.
    flatfish, Oct 23, 2005
    #4
  5. kool kate

    John Bailo Guest

    flatfish wrote:

    > However, I also acknowledge its problems as well as Windows problems.


    It's you who is Chicken Little.

    You will find a minor feature that isn't implemented 100 percent and claim
    that it means Linux is doomed.

    --
    360 updated 10/5
    http://360.yahoo.com/manfrommars_43
    John Bailo, Oct 23, 2005
    #5
  6. kool kate

    flatfish Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:42:28 -0700, John Bailo wrote:

    > flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> However, I also acknowledge its problems as well as Windows problems.

    >
    > It's you who is Chicken Little.
    >
    > You will find a minor feature that isn't implemented 100 percent and claim
    > that it means Linux is doomed.


    Like failing to support a current piece of very popular hardware?
    Tell us again Bailo about your Sound-blaster 24 bit woes and how you had to
    downgrade to a $15.00 POS, noise generator card in order to get sound
    working with Linux.

    And you are supposed to be one of the more knowledgeable Linux users.

    Do you think JQ Public will do the same just to use Linux, especially when
    he already has Windows?

    I doubt it.

    BTW if you think that $15.00 card sounds good, you are deaf.
    flatfish, Oct 23, 2005
    #6
  7. kool kate

    Blood Money Guest

    flatfish cried from George Ou's ass crack...
    > You people just don't get it do you?


    You're asking the wrong person...
    get it?
    Blood Money, Oct 23, 2005
    #7
  8. kool kate

    flatfish Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:11:41 -0700, Blood Money wrote:

    > flatfish cried from George Ou's ass crack...
    >> You people just don't get it do you?

    >
    > You're asking the wrong person...
    > get it?


    Snipping, the true sign you have lost the discussion.
    Grow up already,.
    flatfish, Oct 23, 2005
    #8
  9. kool kate

    Skeets Guest

    >>You people just don't get it do you?
    It has FAR LESS to do with Linux than it has to do with COLA-NUTS.<<

    there some defensive people here. do you know why? probably the most
    profitable company in the history of the world has made FUDding linux
    to death one of its primary goals.

    it doesn't make it right all the time, but it does provide some
    context.

    >>I use Linux.

    I think it's great.
    However, I also acknowledge its problems as well as Windows problems.<<

    agreed.


    >>This group is exactly like an abortion/anti-abortion group.

    Or a gay/straight group.<<

    but do you post on those groups, too? ;-)

    >>Both sides tend to defend their POV, which is fine, but there are always a few people who simply cannot accept facts but instead go way off the deep end when they are confronted with proof that their is a problem with their chosen POV.<<


    denial ain't just a river in egypt... it affects every group of people
    there is.

    >>EVERY SINGLE THREAD in this group degrades into:

    You're a troll.<<

    i definitely see folks who bring up valid points called trolls rather
    quickly. having said that, most folks called trolls probably are
    trolls.

    >>Microsoft has security problems.<<


    expect that to get repeated until microsoft does something about it. i
    don't talk computers much with friends and family, but i know of three
    hard drive wipes in the last year among them. like i say, i no no
    little about most people's computer.

    shutting up truth teller is easy... change reality. if they can't...
    they did this to themselves.

    >>Microsoft is a crooked monopoly<<


    they are - as crooked as it gets without resorting to violence.
    ..
    >>Massive denial (this one is the funniest). Your mother did it...... etc...<<


    did she? just kidding!

    >>The group is a cesspit filled with babies like sinister, 7 and others.

    Filled with linux apologists like Kelsey. (He's been pulling ya chains
    for
    years). IOW he plays both sides of the coin, and does it very well.<<

    actually, you've hit my radar... you start out saying windows has
    problems to appear unbiased... then you slam linux supporters and
    complain about legitimate windows issues being brought up.

    i would think you'd slam irrational windows supporters and complain
    about them bringing up legitimate linux issues... BUT NOOOOOOO, you
    don't do this.

    so much for "fair and balanced." -lol-

    >>Filled with vile vipers like PK.

    Filled with nasty people like Roy Culley.
    Liars and thieves like Unknown.
    Windbags like Rex Ballard and Aragorn.
    Senile people like greycloud.

    This is your core group.
    Pretty pathetic if you look at it.<<

    at the end of the day, you just wanted to attack folks, huh?

    to be what you claim to despise must take quite a bit of denial...
    Skeets, Oct 23, 2005
    #9
  10. kool kate

    Blood Money Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:31:02 -0400, flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:11:41 -0700, Blood Money wrote:
    >
    >> flatfish cried from George Ou's ass crack...
    >>> You people just don't get it do you?

    >>
    >> You're asking the wrong person...
    >> get it?

    >
    > Snipping,

    <snip>

    Spares others from reading your stupidity.
    Hm... I'm sensing a bit of EF here...
    Blood Money, Oct 23, 2005
    #10
  11. kool kate

    Blood Money Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:50:31 -0400, flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:42:28 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
    >
    >> flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >>> However, I also acknowledge its problems as well as Windows problems.

    >>
    >> It's you who is Chicken Little.
    >>
    >> You will find a minor feature that isn't implemented 100 percent and claim
    >> that it means Linux is doomed.

    >
    > Like failing to support a current piece of very popular hardware?
    > Tell us again Bailo about your Sound-blaster 24 bit woes and how you had to
    > downgrade to a $15.00 POS, noise generator card in order to get sound
    > working with Linux.
    >
    > And you are supposed to be one of the more knowledgeable Linux users.
    >
    > Do you think JQ Public will do the same just to use Linux, especially when
    > he already has Windows?
    >
    > I doubt it.
    >
    > BTW if you think that $15.00 card sounds good, you are deaf.


    Now this is very EF-ish (f-ish pun not intended)
    Blood Money, Oct 23, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Barb Bowman MVP-Windows

    WiFi vulnerabilty reported by ZDnet

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Jan 17, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    412
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows
    Jan 17, 2006
  2. Scott Peterson

    ZDNET review of D70

    Scott Peterson, May 26, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    352
    Gregory W Blank
    May 26, 2004
  3. shplink

    OS X hack story from ZDNet

    shplink, Mar 6, 2006, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    361
    shplink
    Mar 6, 2006
  4. Jij bent vast een kleffe endomorfe befvlees

    Re: PIG >

    Jij bent vast een kleffe endomorfe befvlees, Nov 24, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    508
    Jij bent vast een kleffe endomorfe befvlees
    Nov 24, 2005
  5. Shank

    Pig in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace

    Shank, Jul 12, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    341
Loading...

Share This Page