Re: Open source "development" thrives on imitation, not innovation --and a bad imitation at that

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Hamish Campbell, Sep 17, 2010.

  1. On Sep 17, 3:52 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > Dissatisfaction with Facebook's privacy policy seems to have prompted open
    > source developers to create an even bigger nightmare:
    >
    > "The release of pre-alpha source code for their Diaspora social Website was
    > only a few hours old on Wednesday when hackers began identifying flaws they
    > said could seriously compromise the security of those who used it. Among
    > other things, the mistakes make it possible to hijack accounts, friend users
    > without their permission, and delete their photos.
    >
    > "'The bottom line is currently there is nothing that you cannot do to
    > someone's Diaspora account, absolutely nothing," said Patrick McKenzie,
    > owner of Bingo Card Creator, a software company in Ogaki, Japan.  'About the
    > only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to compromise the security of
    > the server that Diaspora is installed on. That's not because that isn't
    > possible. If a professional security researcher goes after this, I have
    > every confidence that they will be able to do that.'"
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/16/diaspora_pre_alpha_landmines/

    Keyword: "pre-alpha".
    Hamish Campbell, Sep 17, 2010

  2. In article <>, Hamish Campbell <> wrote:
    >On Sep 17, 3:52=A0pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> Dissatisfaction with Facebook's privacy policy seems to have prompted ope=

    >> source developers to create an even bigger nightmare:
    >>
    >> "The release of pre-alpha source code for their Diaspora social Website w=

    >as
    >> only a few hours old on Wednesday when hackers began identifying flaws th=

    >ey
    >> said could seriously compromise the security of those who used it. Among
    >> other things, the mistakes make it possible to hijack accounts, friend us=

    >ers
    >> without their permission, and delete their photos.
    >>
    >> "'The bottom line is currently there is nothing that you cannot do to
    >> someone's Diaspora account, absolutely nothing," said Patrick McKenzie,
    >> owner of Bingo Card Creator, a software company in Ogaki, Japan. =A0'Abou=

    >t the
    >> only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to compromise the security of
    >> the server that Diaspora is installed on. That's not because that isn't
    >> possible. If a professional security researcher goes after this, I have
    >> every confidence that they will be able to do that.'"
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/16/diaspora_pre_alpha_landmines/

    >Keyword: "pre-alpha".

    ... and of course, closed source does exactly the same imitating instead of
    imitating. The origninal implication is not valid. Of course. Nothing new
    here. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 20, 2010

  3. Hamish Campbell

    victor Guest

    On 20/09/2010 11:17 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article<>, Hamish Campbell<> wrote:
    >> On Sep 17, 3:52=A0pm, "impossible"<> wrote:
    >>> Dissatisfaction with Facebook's privacy policy seems to have prompted ope=

    >>> source developers to create an even bigger nightmare:
    >>>
    >>> "The release of pre-alpha source code for their Diaspora social Website w=

    >> as
    >>> only a few hours old on Wednesday when hackers began identifying flaws th=

    >> ey
    >>> said could seriously compromise the security of those who used it. Among
    >>> other things, the mistakes make it possible to hijack accounts, friend us=

    >> ers
    >>> without their permission, and delete their photos.
    >>>
    >>> "'The bottom line is currently there is nothing that you cannot do to
    >>> someone's Diaspora account, absolutely nothing," said Patrick McKenzie,
    >>> owner of Bingo Card Creator, a software company in Ogaki, Japan. =A0'Abou=

    >> t the
    >>> only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to compromise the security of
    >>> the server that Diaspora is installed on. That's not because that isn't
    >>> possible. If a professional security researcher goes after this, I have
    >>> every confidence that they will be able to do that.'"
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/16/diaspora_pre_alpha_landmines/

    >> Keyword: "pre-alpha".

    > .. and of course, closed source does exactly the same imitating instead of
    > imitating. The origninal implication is not valid. Of course. Nothing new
    > here. :)

    LOL Impossitard has soiled his cubicle again.

    Facebook is built on Apache. 60k servers running Apache and various
    other open source software projects initiated by them and now used by
    twitter, digg and other web monsters.
    The only way to cope with their phenomenal rate of growth is by being
    clever with open source tools and employing the brightest and best they
    can find who already have experience with open source software.

    http://www.developer.com/open/artic...ebook-Sponsors-Apache-Software-Foundation.htm
    victor, Sep 20, 2010