  1. JohnnyCanuck

    JohnnyCanuck Guest

    I'm running XP Pro - how do I check for open ports?

    JohnnyCanuck, Jan 25, 2004

  2. JohnnyCanuck

    wisefool Guest

    JohnnyCanuck said:
    > I'm running XP Pro - how do I check for open ports?

    To know what ports have servers on them right now on your machine
    type netstat -aon at the command prompt. These are your locally open
    ports right now. In terms of what people on the Internet can see of this,
    this is determined by your firewall software.

    ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) is a very basic firewall that comes
    with Windows XP -- enable this by checking the following checkbox:

    Start > Settings > Network Connections > Right click connection
    name and select Properties > Advanced > Protect my computer
    and network...

    Then click Settings on the same dialog box. The services list that
    comes up is a list of things that people on the Internet will be able to
    see and use on your machine. I dunno what the msmsgs stuff is. You
    can add (Add/check checkbox) and remove (uncheck checkbox)
    access to services to your hearts content. I don't know whether to
    recommend disabling the msmsgs stuff -- leave it on until you work out
    whether it is a good idea to disable it.

    Otherwise if you have another firewall (you should "use protection" of some
    kind) read its documentation. Some people here use the ZoneAlarm
    software which is a firewall with extra features but there are plenty of
    other
    software packages.

    If you don't use either ICF or a third-party firewall, people will be able
    see all of the netstat -aon ports -- not a good idea generally. But don't
    double-firewall and enable both ICF and a third-party firewall. Use one
    or the other.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 25, 2004