Re: Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 ........

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alias, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. Alias

    Alias Guest

    On 11/07/2010 09:08 AM, Valorie *~ wrote:
    > From:
    > http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-activate-hidden-windows-7-administrator-account/
    >

    > Anyone have any idea why my W-7 doesn't have "Run as Administrator" to
    > select when right clicking on the command prompt? What is an *elevated*
    > prompt? All I have is the regular prompt on my W-7 PC.
    >
    > From the website:
    >
    > "Method 1:Using Command Prompt (W-7)
    > Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 by right click on the
    > command prompt and select "Run as Administrator". After that you only
    > need to enter the simple command below to activate it."
    >
    > I can't select "Run as Administrator" because there is nothing there in
    > the prompt window or the right click menu to select when I right click
    > on the command prompt. All I can do is type something after the
    > C:\user\Valorie> thing.

    According to the Windroids that haunt this newsgroup, command lines are
    only for Linux.

    LOL! The irony!

    --
    Alias
    Alias, Nov 8, 2010

  2. Alias

    John Aldred Guest

    John Aldred, Nov 8, 2010

  3. Alias

    John Aldred Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    > A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en
    >
    > Apologies for the split URL.

    Hmmm. Seems to be a problem with that URL. Will try to copy and paste again

    John Aldred, Nov 8, 2010
  4. Alias

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:55:00 +0000, John Aldred wrote:

    > John Aldred wrote:
    >
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>
    >> [Snip]
    >>>
    >>> According to the Windroids that haunt this newsgroup, command lines
    >>> are only for Linux.
    >>>
    >>> LOL! The irony!
    >>>

    >> For those that would like the full Command Reference for Windows 7 and
    >> Windows Server. Take a look here:-
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >> A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> Apologies for the split URL.
    >>

    > Hmmm. Seems to be a problem with that URL. Will try to copy and paste
    > again
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    > A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en

    Try posting links thusly:

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?
    familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en>

    They don't break when placed between carets.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 8, 2010
  5. Evan Platt <> via

    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:10:42 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Try posting links thusly:
    >>
    >><http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?
    >>familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >>A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en>
    >>
    >>They don't break when placed between carets.

    > Does for me, in Agent.
    >
    > Best way I've seen that seems to work in a majority of clients is to
    > use the other bracket first:
    >
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=5FB255FF-72DA
    >>-4B08-A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en

    Does for me too, in Awesome Xnews v. for Awesomeness...

    Geezus, someone should invent a website that shortens
    long URLs, then it would be some smuuve postin' and
    I love me some smuuve postin' and some smuuve linkin'
    to stuff, especially when it's awesome stuff for my
    awesome self to download to my awesome computers.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    awesomeness into your petty judgmental life.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 8, 2010
  6. Alias

    John Aldred Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:55:00 +0000, John Aldred wrote:
    >
    >> John Aldred wrote:
    >>
    >>> Alias wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [Snip]

    >>> For those that would like the full Command Reference for Windows 7 and
    >>> Windows Server. Take a look here:-
    >>>

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    > familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >>> A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en
    >>>
    >>> Apologies for the split URL.
    >>>

    >> Hmmm. Seems to be a problem with that URL. Will try to copy and paste
    >> again
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    > familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >> A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en

    > Try posting links thusly:
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?
    > familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    > A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en>
    >
    > They don't break when placed between carets.

    Unfortunately that doesn't work on my news reader (KNode)
    but thanks for the suggestion.

    --
    John
    John Aldred, Nov 8, 2010
  7. Alias

    John Aldred Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:10:42 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Try posting links thusly:
    >>
    >><http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?
    >>familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >>A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en>
    >>
    >>They don't break when placed between carets.

    > Does for me, in Agent.
    >
    > Best way I've seen that seems to work in a majority of clients is to
    > use the other bracket first:
    >
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-

    A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en

    Thanks this method appears to work for my news reader.

    --
    John
    John Aldred, Nov 8, 2010
  8. Alias

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 07:13:26 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:10:42 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Try posting links thusly:
    >>
    >><http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?
    >>familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >>A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en>
    >>
    >>They don't break when placed between carets.

    > Does for me, in Agent.
    >
    > Best way I've seen that seems to work in a majority of clients is to use
    > the other bracket first:
    >
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en

    Hmmmm. I'll try that next time.

    Aardvark, Nov 8, 2010
  9. Alias

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:23:29 +0000, John Aldred
    <> wrote:

    >Alias wrote:
    >
    >[Snip]
    >>
    >> According to the Windroids that haunt this newsgroup, command lines are
    >> only for Linux.
    >>
    >> LOL! The irony!
    >>

    >For those that would like the full Command Reference for Windows 7 and
    >Windows Server. Take a look here:-
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en
    >
    >Apologies for the split URL.

    Put it in angle brackets and all should be fine.

    Char Jackson, Nov 8, 2010
  10. Alias

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:07:21 -0600, Char Jackson wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:23:29 +0000, John Aldred
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>[Snip]
    >>>
    >>> According to the Windroids that haunt this newsgroup, command lines
    >>> are only for Linux.
    >>>
    >>> LOL! The irony!
    >>>

    >>For those that would like the full Command Reference for Windows 7 and
    >>Windows Server. Take a look here:-
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    >>A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en
    >>
    >>Apologies for the split URL.

    > Put it in angle brackets and all should be fine.
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?

    familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en>

    I suggested that. Apparently some newsreaders break the link anyway.

    Aardvark, Nov 8, 2010
  11. Alias

    chrisv Guest

    chrisv, Nov 8, 2010
  12. Alias

    Sunny Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/
    Sunny, Nov 8, 2010
  13. On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:23:29 +0000, John Aldred wrote:

    > Alias wrote:
    >
    > [Snip]
    >>
    >> According to the Windroids that haunt this newsgroup, command lines are
    >> only for Linux.
    >>
    >> LOL! The irony!
    >>

    > For those that would like the full Command Reference for Windows 7 and
    > Windows Server. Take a look here:-
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=5FB255FF-72DA-4B08-
    > A504-1B10266CF72A&displaylang=en
    >
    > Apologies for the split URL.

    Consider using TinyURL.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
    Gene E. Bloch, Nov 8, 2010
  14. Evan Platt <>
    scientifically observed and published thusly:

    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 08:39:36 +1000,
    > "Sunny" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Bucky Breeder" wrote in message

    >>> Geezus, someone should invent a website that shortens
    >>> long URLs, then it would be some smuuve postin' and
    >>> I love me some smuuve postin' and some smuuve linkin'
    >>> to stuff, especially when it's awesome stuff for my
    >>> awesome self to download to my awesome computers.
    >>>
    >>> HTH.

    >> http://tinyurl.com/

    > <Whoosh>

    Whoo-whee!... Those darned European colonists sure
    are *FAST* inventing the stuff of my brilliant ideas.
    I should get some royalties for documenting the
    originalest idea. Quick; somebody get a lawyer...

    HTH.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 9, 2010