Re: Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 ........

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sunny, Nov 7, 2010.

  1. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    "Valorie *~" <> wrote in message
    > From:
    > http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-activate-hidden-windows-7-administrator-account/
    >
    > Anyone have any idea why my W-7 doesn't have "Run as Administrator" to
    > select when right clicking on the command prompt? What is an *elevated*
    > prompt? All I have is the regular prompt on my W-7 PC.
    >
    > From the website:
    >
    > "Method 1:Using Command Prompt (W-7)
    > Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 by right click on the
    > command prompt and select "Run as Administrator". After that you only
    > need to enter the simple command below to activate it."

    Took me all of 7 seconds to find out :
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

    > I can't select "Run as Administrator" because there is nothing there in
    > the prompt window or the right click menu to select when I right click
    > on the command prompt. All I can do is type something after the
    > C:\user\Valorie> thing.

    Took me another 5 seconds to find :
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/

    Sunny, Nov 7, 2010

  2. Sunny

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:58:25 +1000, Sunny wrote:

    > "Valorie *~" <> wrote in message
    >> From:
    >> http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-activate-hidden-windows-7-

    administrator-account/

    >> Anyone have any idea why my W-7 doesn't have "Run as Administrator" to
    >> select when right clicking on the command prompt? What is an
    >> *elevated* prompt? All I have is the regular prompt on my W-7 PC.
    >>
    >> From the website:
    >>
    >> "Method 1:Using Command Prompt (W-7)
    >> Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 by right click on the
    >> command prompt and select "Run as Administrator". After that you only
    >> need to enter the simple command below to activate it."

    > Took me all of 7 seconds to find out :
    > http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html
    >

    >> I can't select "Run as Administrator" because there is nothing there in
    >> the prompt window or the right click menu to select when I right click
    >> on the command prompt. All I can do is type something after the
    >> C:\user\Valorie> thing.

    > Took me another 5 seconds to find :
    > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/run-a-command-as-

    administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/

    ****!!!! Twelve whole seconds?????

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

    Aardvark, Nov 8, 2010

  3. On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:48:38 -0000, gry-lion wrote:

    > "Steel" wrote in message
    >
    > On 11/7/2010 6:43 PM, Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:58:25 +1000, Sunny wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Valorie *~"<> wrote in message

    >> administrator-account/

    >>> Took me all of 7 seconds to find out :
    >>> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

    >>> Took me another 5 seconds to find :
    >>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/run-a-command-as-

    >> administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/
    >>>

    >> ****!!!! Twelve whole seconds?????
    >>

    > That's 12 seconds less than you.
    >

    > Hi All,
    > I admit knowing nothing about this persons problem, but I do read and try to
    > learn.
    > However on my win 7 system, when right clicking "Command Prompt" and left
    > click "run as administrator" I only get the C:\Users\(user name) and not
    > C:\Windows\System32
    >

    > But when I right click on the Command Prompt I get the choice of "run as
    > administrator" and underneath it "open file location".
    >
    > I click "open file location" and it opens the folder windows/system32
    > containing the cmd icon. I left click on that and it opens the cmd window
    > with C:\Windows\System32 .
    >
    > My win 7 system is a HP G61 installed laptop. Is the installation different?
    >
    > I have built four win xp systems in the past, installed many operating
    > systems so I am computer literate.
    >
    > It states in the article below. How to Create a Elevated Command Prompt
    > Shortcut in Windows 7
    >
    > http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3718-elevated-command-prompt-shortcut.html
    >
    > Again I admit knowing nothing about this persons problem, but found this out
    > by trial and fortunately no error.
    > cheers Peter

    Thanks to Windows Live mail, I can't quite figure out which of the above
    is your reply, but I'll proceed on my best guess.

    Once you're in the command window, you have to change directory to where
    you want to go.

    So type
    cd C:\Windows\System32
    and press enter.

    If the destination directory has spaces in its name, put quotes around
    the whole path (not around the cd command).

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, Nov 8, 2010
  4. On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 00:23:17 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:

    > "Sunny" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Took me all of 7 seconds to find out :
    >> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html
    >>

    >>> I can't select "Run as Administrator" because there is nothing there in
    >>> the prompt window or the right click menu to select when I right click on
    >>> the command prompt. All I can do is type something after the
    >>> C:\user\Valorie> thing.

    >> Took me another 5 seconds to find :
    >> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/
    >>

    > Got it but when the command /active:yes is typed in, I get an error as
    > posted above.

    You need new glasses or a new brain. The command given to you several
    times is not
    /active:yes

    The command is
    net user administrator /active:yes

    Given this example of how you follow directions, I am less astonished
    than before about your problems.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, Nov 10, 2010
  5. On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:29:29 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:

    > "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 00:23:17 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Sunny" <> wrote in message

    >>> Got it but when the command /active:yes is typed in, I get an error as
    >>> posted above.

    >> You need new glasses or a new brain. The command given to you several
    >> times is not
    >> /active:yes

    > And childish insults will help how? By building your ego hidden behind a
    > monitor?

    A refusal to follow good advice is not a sign of great intelligence.
    Pointing your error out is not a childish insult but simply noting a
    fact. You would have been wise to follow the correction I gave you
    rather than to ignore it and comment on what you perceived as an insult.

    You have trolled and played your yes-but game so long that I have lost
    patience with you and decided to have fun with ad-homonym[1] remarks,
    partly because I see them as richly deserved in your case. Admittedly, I
    myself am showing little intelligence in continuing to follow your
    totally unprecedented litany of difficulties and your refusal or
    inability to take any of the raft of good suggestions offered.

    [1] My spell checker, which evidently doesn't know the word hominem,
    offered the above. Just for fun, I let it happen. I *need* a bit of fun
    at this point :)

    Gene E. Bloch, Nov 10, 2010
  6. You are strongly reinforcing my opinions.

    Comments in line.

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:30:37 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:

    > "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:29:29 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message

    >>> And childish insults will help how? By building your ego hidden behind a
    >>> monitor?

    >> A refusal to follow good advice is not a sign of great intelligence.
    >> Pointing your error out is not a childish insult but simply noting a
    >> fact. You would have been wise to follow the correction I gave you
    >> rather than to ignore it and comment on what you perceived as an insult.

    > Did I not explain it didn't work for me? How many ways can I explain it
    > didn't work for me?

    How many times can one explain that it won't work unless you do it
    correctly *as presented to you several times*? This includes your
    reaction to my post that you chose to complain about, instead of taking
    the correct advice given therein.

    Thus one reinforcement of certain opinions.

    >> You have trolled and played your yes-but game so long that I have lost
    >> patience with you and decided to have fun with ad-homonym[1] remarks,
    >> partly because I see them as richly deserved in your case.

    > So you get off on cruelty when someone doesn't have a degree in computer
    > science? I can see why so few people come to these groups anymore seeking
    > advice. Between the trolls and people like you, they don't bother.

    You chose to get off on what you take as an insult (I'd say a
    well-deserved one!) and chose not to follow the correct advice given in
    that post.

    Thus one reinforcement of certain opinions.

    > Admittedly, I
    >> myself am showing little intelligence in continuing to follow your
    >> totally unprecedented litany of difficulties and your refusal or
    >> inability to take any of the raft of good suggestions offered.

    > I took the raft of good suggestions but at least one of you admitted what
    > works on Pro wont on Home Premium.

    But taking suggestions requires that you do them as told. Furthermore,
    the suggestion about enabling the Administrator works on *all* versions
    of Windows 7, as do most of the suggestions that were offered to you.

    Thus one reinforcement of certain opinions.

    >> [1] My spell checker, which evidently doesn't know the word hominem,
    >> offered the above. Just for fun, I let it happen. I *need* a bit of fun
    >> at this point :)

    >> --
    >> Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    I do not currently plan to respond to any more of your rather lame
    excuses.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, Nov 11, 2010
  7. On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:10:14 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:

    > "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message

    <Snip>

    > I followed the advice and it didn't work for me. Rather than insult
    > people, why not try and find out what they may be doing wrong?

    <Snip>

    > Who the hell needs your school yard insults? I outgrew that kind of
    > thing in Junior High.

    You apparently need to be insulted for your blatant disregard of everyone
    else, and ignoring basic posting guidelines.

    STOP YOUR CROSS POSTING, MORON.

    THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU.

    AND I DON"T NEED TO READ 12 THREADS
    OR SO ALL STARTED AND FED BY YOU BECAUSE OF STUPID PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE
    SOLVED BY DOING A SIMPLE SEARCH IN GOOGLE.

    There, get it yet?

    Maybe you'll get a clue this time, troll.

    Sgt. Floyd Pepper, Nov 12, 2010